What flavor of XP?

Sharky Forums

Thread: What flavor of XP?

Arrow What flavor of XP?

I need to get Windows XP, and was looking at a few of my options. I have Win98 now, so keep that in mind. Here was what I was thinking:

WinXP Pro Upgrade - $81 at newegg for the Academic version (I'm a student)

WinXP Home Full Edition - $91

Which one of these would be the better option?

I used to own a nice tower, but then it was too expensive to upgrade consistently. And I only play Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors DEATHMATCH. And that doesn't need a lot of power (PM me if you want to get in some games). So now I own a MacBook, but I like to think of myself as a well-informed Apple convert who still uses Windows sometimes.
    I like the internet. So I have this www.tarentinos.com for wallpapers that I make since it is a strange obsession of mine. How wonderful.

pro.

Great White Shark
    Get XP pro. It is $10 less, has more features and functionality (especially networking) than the home version. The academic license restriction that really matters is that you not use the software in business or for making a profit. Otherwise, the academic version has all the same functions and features as a full version. You may want to check your school bookstore for an even better price. I've seen academic pricing as low as $10.

Alright, thanks. I think I'll go with pro.

One question though: can I do a clean installation with the XP Pro Upgrade without Windows 98 or will it need to recognize a prior OS?
    I used to own a nice tower, but then it was too expensive to upgrade consistently. And I only play Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors DEATHMATCH. And that doesn't need a lot of power (PM me if you want to get in some games). So now I own a MacBook, but I like to think of myself as a well-informed Apple convert who still uses Windows sometimes.
    I like the internet. So I have this www.tarentinos.com for wallpapers that I make since it is a strange obsession of mine. How wonderful.

Great White Shark
    At most the installation will ask for a Win98 floppy or CD. I've never had a problem doing a clean install with any MS upgrade version.

yeah, during the clean installation it will just ask you to momentarily insert another version of windows to verify it is an upgrade.

i say go pro also, if you go home, you dont get to have all the cool administrative things, or the domain stuff. all of which is very good to have. go with pro.
    WHy...why...

I have a copy of both ME and 98 in my accumulated disks, but the thing on Newegg said

"-Upgrade eligibility (must have one of the following pre-installed, before installing Windows XP Pro upgrade)
    Windows 98 or Windows 98 2nd Edition, Windows Me, Windows NT4 Workstation, or Windows 2000 Professional."

Are you guys sure you can just insert an old OS disk?

Also at newegg for 135 I think they have accademic edition which has Word 2002, outlook 2002, powerpoint 2002 etc... most of whats inlcuded in the 300$ office XP

I am currently deciding on which OS (Pro or home) to get, if I can just insert old disk will get pro, as I already have 2000's "productivity" software, but if I would have to do 2 installs(old OS then pro) then I think I'll just get home edition for 91$/135$. For basically gaming and school type stuff, mostly Word, does it really make a difference to get Pro?

Are you guys sure you can just insert an old OS disk?
    when i went to install the home upgrade on my newly reformated computer it only asked for me to insert a cd from a previous windows os, to verify this was an upgrade. however, maybe the newegg versions are different. don't read this post like it were the gospel or anything.