2nd power supply (MOD) - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd power supply (MOD)

Originally posted by schultz
    so they come premade like that? actually...that's a pretty stupid question. ignore it.

so how much do those things cost?
    I paid $10 canadian, but you can get them bot under $4 Us. look here:
    http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...175&type=store
    Originally posted by Ferrett
    I'M SORRY. There were hot girls. I got distracted.

I'd run at least a couple fans off your main supply in case your second one fails. Also if you decide to run anything else that also ties in with the main supply in ANY way make SURE you tie the grounds together for both supplies. Ground loops can be a hard thing to diagnose otherwise.
    ...WAIT FOR IT

Originally posted by Adisharr
    I'd run at least a couple fans off your main supply in case your second one fails. Also if you decide to run anything else that also ties in with the main supply in ANY way make SURE you tie the grounds together for both supplies. Ground loops can be a hard thing to diagnose otherwise.
    i don't know that much about psu's so...do you have a diagram or something of that sort to help me out with getting the wiring correct in my head?
    nForce 680i SLI; Core 2 Duo E6700; 2 x 1GB PC2 8500; nVidia 8800GTX
    8RDA+; XP 1700+ @ 2075MHz; 2 x 256MB PC3200; 6 HDDs @ 1.47TB; Radeon 9800Pro
    OC Crusaders Alpha Dir schultz of The Cooler's Guild Sharky's Folding Team - Help Us Out
    Sharky's Extreme 3DMark Team Pyro's 3dmark 01/03 Guide

What he's talking about is the basic essential fans, like the cpu fan, at least 1 intake, and 1 exhaust (like the blowhole for example). So if your redundant psu fails, your primary will still run the "essential" fans. Hook up all your other fans and lights to the redundant psu. This will also allow you to turn off the redundant psu (if that is how you configured it) when you are not playing games or pimping your rig to someone, showing them how cool it and you are...

Making sure the chassis of the redundant psu is grounded to the rest of the system is important as well. If you've got it mounted inside the case (metal to metal contact), it shouldn't be an issue. If you are running it external or seperate from the main rig, you should run a small ground strap from the chassis of the case to your redundant psu. (A small wire with to a couple of solderless connections physically screwed to each chassis.)
    A64 3800+ Venice @ stock/DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D (5/10-2 bios)
    OCZ Dual Channel 3200 EL (2X512) @ 2.5-4-4-7 (for now)
    BB ATI X800XL 256MB/Maxtor 120GB SATA/WD 120GB SE IDE
    Hauppage Win-TV DVR/Antec True Control 550W/XP pro

Sharky's Folding@Home Team
    The Folding Farm: rig in da sig, XP2400+, 1.1 TBird, Athlon 700, PIII 866
    Sharky's SETI@Home Team

Find even more computer help and some great OT at Fix-IT.org!
    Remember, there are no mistakes in Modding. It's just MORE custom...

Originally posted by GLScooby
    What he's talking about is the basic essential fans, like the cpu fan, at least 1 intake, and 1 exhaust (like the blowhole for example). So if your redundant psu fails, your primary will still run the "essential" fans. Hook up all your other fans and lights to the redundant psu. This will also allow you to turn off the redundant psu (if that is how you configured it) when you are not playing games or pimping your rig to someone, showing them how cool it and you are...

Making sure the chassis of the redundant psu is grounded to the rest of the system is important as well. If you've got it mounted inside the case (metal to metal contact), it shouldn't be an issue. If you are running it external or seperate from the main rig, you should run a small ground strap from the chassis of the case to your redundant psu. (A small wire with to a couple of solderless connections physically screwed to each chassis.)
    :werd:

Sorry I'm slow to respond lately
    ...WAIT FOR IT

Originally posted by GLScooby

yeah...i understand the basics of what he wants to do and what has been discussed...i'm just curious about the wiring...etc. you keep saying "the green wire" and the like and i'm just not sure which one is which. should i just assume it is a big green wire? and for connecting...can you just solder something like that together and tape it? good enough or does it need something more. thanks, though, for the help!
    nForce 680i SLI; Core 2 Duo E6700; 2 x 1GB PC2 8500; nVidia 8800GTX
    8RDA+; XP 1700+ @ 2075MHz; 2 x 256MB PC3200; 6 HDDs @ 1.47TB; Radeon 9800Pro
    OC Crusaders Alpha Dir schultz of The Cooler's Guild Sharky's Folding Team - Help Us Out
    Sharky's Extreme 3DMark Team Pyro's 3dmark 01/03 Guide

<chant for the green wire splicing>

if your using ATX psu's, the other option is to run a relay, that way you can power it up with BOTH the main psu or the switch and have a useless noise box with lights

or find an old AT power supply (i have 5 here looking at me right now) and just run it like that
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Originally posted by Colossus
    The only silent computer is a OFF computer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    At the rate I post, I will never get to 5000.
    postcount++;