IIS question

Sharky Forums

Thread: IIS question

IIS question

I've suddenly found the need to convert a .NET Windows From to something web-enabled. This means I need to get IIS running on a Win2k box. The question is - where can I get IIS? Hunting through MS's website, everything leads me to Server2003. (Our IT staff runs this, but I would rather do this locally.) I was under the impression there's a version that ships with XP; is this available for download?

Open Source is free like a puppy is free.

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

Understanding Evolution

Win2k has it built in, simply go to "Add/Remove Programs" => "Add/Remove Windows Components", and you'll see IIS listed in there. Simlpy check it off, and click okay, and you'll probably be prompted to insert your OS-disk so it can copy some files. Once that's done, you should be good to go.

XP Professional has this as well, but if you're running XP Home, you're SOL.

Well, I'll be. It was there all along. No wonder I couldn't download it :P

Thanks!

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

Understanding Evolution

Great White Shark
    Don't forget to reapply service packs after installing components from your original OS release disk.

True true! Or just go to Windows Update, they'll hook you up with whatever security patches and upgrades are necessary.

Hmm. Just visited Windows Update, and it didn't find any additional patches I needed. The same few that I've refused to install for things I don't use (MS JVM, WMP, etc) are there.

Nothing new for IIS showed up. Should there have been?

Understanding Evolution