How do I fix my hd misreading its capacity?

Sharky Forums

Thread: How do I fix my hd misreading its capacity?

How do I fix my hd misreading its capacity?

I have a 80 gig hd that stores my multimedia and I just deleted 4 gigs of songs, etc. But the hd is still reporting the previous empty space of 800mb when now there should be 4 gigs free. I restarted my computer and did a systemworks check up, but non of this fixed it.

Do I just leave it as this?
    "I was an atheist until I realized I was god"

Hopefully, this is a dumb question... but to make sure, you did empty the trash can on the desktop, right?

If you do a full scandisk and defrag it should fix the problem, if it does not then you have a more underlying problem, but I would let it ride for a while sometimes Windows does catch up because that's what happened to me.

you have to have space on your drive to be able to defrag. with under a gig on a 80 gig drive going to be hard to defrag it.

highly unlikely that the recycle bin stored these files. recycle bin is not going to hold that much data.

normaly when deleting a large directly you will recieve a message saying that it is to large for the recycle bin and will do an imediate delete.

go ahead and try but don't think it is your problem.

if you did reboot and still showing up it is possible that the files are not being marked corectly for deletion. do a google search and might be able to find something about that.

clear out your temp files under the windows directory, clear out the temp files under your profile.

that might give you a little space but still dont think you will be able to defrag the system even after that.

i know it does not help now but in the future set up different partitions. that way if you use up a partition you can move files to another then defrag and move back... again this does not help you now.

also i don't recall the % of free space you need to proporly defrag but sould not fill the drive up that much. it really kills your performance.

HD space is cheap can be had for less than $0.50 a gig.

sorry not more help.

Great White Shark
    Delete all temporary files and offline content from your browser.
    Delete the files in C:\Windows\Temp.
    Delete the files in C:\Documents and Settings\<your userID>\Local Settings\Temp (note that some files here are inuse and can't be deleted).

From a command window enter chkdsk /f.
    When prompted to schedule the job enter y.
    Then do an orderly reboot.
    Chkdsk will run and repair any anomalies in the file system.