my friend is currently using:
    - Pentium III 450mhz
    - BX mobo
    - 128 meg PC133
    - SBLive
    - Voodoo 3
    - 56k modem
    - Hauppauge WinTV FM PCI

He want to start doing video/capture/editing. (basic ones not high end.. yet) not really into games. (at least he didn't experience C&C Generals, UT2003, Delta Force BHD, Homeworld2, running on a RAdeon 9700 yet so he's not spoiled and don't know what he's missing

anyway I told him he need to upgrade his rig, but his budget is $350

He is reusing his:
    - 15" LCD
    - Keyboard/mouse
    - floppy
    - Voodoo3
    - CDRW
    - SB Live

so he basically still needs:
    - Case/PSU
    - CPU
    - Mobo (something with Firewire will be needed I guess)
    - Ram
    - harddrive (that I will sell him my new WD 120Gig SE)

For a budget of $300-$350 can anyone recommend the following parts he need? best bang for bux (case, cpu,mobo,ram)

I'm geared toward Athlon 2600+ or higher, with Nforce2 mofo and 512meg PC3200. but I'm open to recommendation.

btw: I shop at newegg.com so I will probably get it from them.

Thanks alot for your help.
    Last edited by rimmerchant; 10-24-2003 at 10:58 PM.

I would go with:

Case/psu combo:Antec SX630II -$65
    or, Antec slk3700 AMB -$73
    CPU: Barton 2500+ -$92 retail
    Motherboard: Epox 8RDA3+ -$95
    RAM: Corsair 512MB PC2700 VALUE SELECT. DDR RAM - OEM -$86

Total= $338-$346

As far as the case goes, I would personally go with the slk3700 because it has 2x120mm fans (1 intake, 1 exhaust),which will mean a quiter computer for the equivalent cfm's. However, the SX630II has front firewire port, which might be more convenient than using the rear pci slot. I would go with the Barton cpu because it is less than the 2600 and 2700 and as far as I know the added L2 cache will help with the video editing than the small bump in cpu speed. The Epox MB is probably the cheapest way to go for nForce2 chipset, firewire and other high end features. As far as RAM goes, I like Corsair... solid performance. I went with the pc2700 b/c you would not see any performance increase from the pc3200 on an AMD system since best performance is seen by fsb and mem freq being in sync; so unless you are going to increase the fsb to 400mhz, which is definitely achievable, no need for the faster RAM (but the pc3200 is only a buck more )

Another option might be to go with the less expensive case from above, find some less expensive RAM (ie ocx or mushkin) and then get a nice quiet but powerful 3rd party HSF. The Thermalright slk series seems to be the most popular right now, but I guarantee that the vantec aeroflow will cool better than stock fans and it is much much quieter. It is only $25 on newegg. Hope this helps!
    Main Rig
    Abit NF7-s v2
    | AMD Barton 2500+ | 2x 512 Corsair XMS PC3200LL | ATI 9700pro | WD SE 120Gb & Maxtor 250Gb | NEC 2500A 8x | Antec SuperLanboy | Thermalright SP-97 & enermax 90mm | Logitech MX Duo | APC Back-UPS XS 800

Home Theatre: 50" Proscan projection TV-> Harmon Kardon AVR-230-> JBL SCS160si
    Computer Audio: E-MU 0404-> Switchbox-> ZA Pimeta-> TBA/AL ATP3s
    Portable: iRiver H-120-> Shure E3

MEMBER OF THE SHARKY FORUMS FOLDING TEAM
    Interested in learning more about FOLDING? Check out this flash!

Go with something like davnport suggested, but for the love of god get him to upgrade the video card. I'm not a video editor, but it seems to me like you might want a decent video card to do it. Heck, you're better off getting a MB with onboard video (dunno if the Epox has it, but I doubt it) and using that. FAR better off.

Might also want to consider Crucial or Kingston Value RAM.

Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 400x8 1.37v
    Zalman CNPS9500
    ASUS P5k Deluxe WiFi-AP
    4x1GB Buffalo Firestix PC2-6400 @ 4-4-3-11 800mHz (3327MB shows up in Windows)
    500GB Seagate 7200.10
    eVGA 8800GTS 640MB (A3 stepping) @ 700/1080
    700W OCZ GameXStream
    Antec P182 (sooo quiet with all fans at low)
    22" Dell E228WFP Widescreen LCD
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
    3dMark06 Score with above OC: 11321

Nah stick with that video card. If he's not doing anything 3d, the 350MHz RAMDAC on that voodoo3 will do just fine *I have kept one in my parents rig for the past 4 years*!

But definatley go the 2500+ barton route, and get 512mb of Buffalo PC3200. Just set the fsb to 400 right off the bat - the barton can take it no problem.

I love the SX630II best bang for buck case I have ever used!

Heatsinks, I swear by Thermalright's SLK-900A. Every AthlonXP based system I have built features one of these bad babies if overclocking is in mind. They r00l. Put an 80mm 3k rpm fan on them and get nearly silent 3200+.

anyways that sounds like a good computer otherwise.
    Mein Komp
    Antec P180 w/ 450w Antec PSU
    ECS KN1 SLI Extreme w/ Zalman passive NB cooler
    Athlon 64 3500+ Venice w/ Zalman cooler
    eVGA 7800GT CO PCIe
    1GB DDR400
    1x 80 GB IDE, 1x 120GB SATA , 2x 250GB SATA
    16x DL LiteOn DVD+/-RW
    Sony G500 Trinitron 21" CRT 1280x960@96Hz
    Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's on Audigy2 ZS
    Windows XP Pro SP2

Originally posted by Russell
    Go with something like davnport suggested, but for the love of god get him to upgrade the video card. I'm not a video editor, but it seems to me like you might want a decent video card to do it. Heck, you're better off getting a MB with onboard video (dunno if the Epox has it, but I doubt it) and using that. FAR better off.

Might also want to consider Crucial or Kingston Value RAM.
    as for "video editing" goes. he's probably gonna do some video capturing with his WinTV and do some Tmpgenc or virtualDub.

to it then burin it to VCD or DVD. but better video capture hardware and dvd burner will have to come later since it's out of his budget.

I really don't see the need from to upgrade his video card if he don't play game

you dont need a good video card for video editing.

a 2500+ chip will do fine and 512mb ram minimum.

Shouldn't the budget be something like $280 in order for this guy to sell his HD for $50-70 to his friend....

Originally posted by coolqf
    Shouldn't the budget be something like $280 in order for this guy to sell his HD for $50-70 to his friend....
    actually I'm selling it to him for $120 the same exact price i got it. (it's retail unopened WD harddrive).
    and there's two rebates he can mail in. after rebate the final price is only $60 for him.

hmm now that I think about it. I got a new AThlonXP copper heatsink/fan that I might give to him cheaper. I paid $30 for it. but can't use it.

Arrow

I'd get an NF2 mobo with onboard video as it will be way faster than his Voodoo.
    Abit NF7-M is $104 (currently out of stock)
    Biostar M7NCG PRO is $95, though it seems to have stability problems when you use only 1 stick of RAM, but it's fine when using dual channel.
    Could also get him a slower CPU, 2100+ retail is $67.
    Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

BSF - we know drama.
    OC Crusaders
    Sharky Forums Folding Team

Originally posted by yngwie98
    I'd get an NF2 mobo with onboard video as it will be way faster than his Voodoo.
    an yngwie malmsteen fan? he's doing G3 with satriani and vai right now!

BOT - i agree, they have the same board as i have but with an onboard geforce2 mx, i think thats even faster than the voodoo plus it has more game support than an old voodoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549
    In Canada you'd probably have to wait at least 30 days to get a broken arm fixed.

Biostar TZ77B
    i5-3570k@4.5ghz
    Hyper 212+
    16GB Samsung DDR3
    Dual 19" Syncmaster 953bw
    Samsung DVD-RW
    480GB PNY SSD
    1.5 TB WD Green SATA
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB Seagate

3.0 TB Seagate External
    4.0 TB Seagate External

thanks for all the suggestions but I ended up getting the spec recommended by

davnport

it just came ysterday.

but his old ATX case is not big enough to fit the new mobo so he's gonna get a case from the local computer store.

Not Pirate... Arrrchiver Mr Cherry's Avatar
    good idea, shipping is a biotch on cases.
    ---> : : : computer specs : : : <---
    :::heatware:::

Currently playing: World of Warcraft [Lightbringer Realm]

''Ah ha ha ha ha ha! Sixty seconds till midnight…sixty seconds to nowhere, baby! You have all become victims of the Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs… Hey! Pay Attention!"

update: 2/28/08