Unable to delete file

Sharky Forums

Thread: Unable to delete file

Question Unable to delete file

Sometimes I just can't friggin delete a file. (mostly .avi)

When I try to delte it, it says it is being "used by another person or program"

I have restarted the computer and stuff like that, trying to look for weird processes that might still be using the file, but with no luck.

I also tried Norton's Wipe Info.
    That didn't work either.

??

edit: are there utilities out there that will tell me what programs are accessing the file?

edit2: ok, I ran the Wipe Info again and it worked.
    But what was the reason? Any insights?
    Last edited by Terry; 10-29-2003 at 10:00 PM.
    Member of TSGG & ITG
    HEATWARE

Follow me down the rabbit hole:
    Spoiler

sometimes if it is an imcomplete avi file xp has a problem deleting it. i read something about this on the microsoft website a while back, when i had a similar situation.

Mako Shark
    Are these files in Kazaa? Did you check to make sure the files aren't being downloaded by another user?
    Desktop: Athlon XP 2500+/333 @12*180, 2x 512pc3200 DC, Epox 8rda (nforce2), X800 XL 256MB, WD 200 GB, Lite-On 4x +- DVDRW
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron, Centrino Duo 1.83ghz, 1GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 256 MB Radeon 1400, 17" widescreen display

www.russsscope.net

If your hard drive is just FAT32 use a Win98 boot disk to boot from and you should be able to delete the file in DOS np.
    Intel i7-3770 4C/8T |16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 | Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 2 x PNY 480GB SSDs | Pioneer BDR-209DBK | HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display

I've had a similar problem occur when the file is still registered with whatever you used to play it. ie try clearing it from the playlist.
    Newest comp DFI nf2 ultra xp1500-m @223*10.5 or XP2500-M barton @230*10.5
    new comp- 8RDA+, xp2100 TbredB @202*11, 2*twinmos 3200 (non winbond), 9700 pro, Maxtor 9 plus 80gb &120GB, Hitachi CML174SWB 17" LCD
    Old comp KT7A Axia 1ghz @1.38GHZ,
    GF3 ti200, Compaq 910 19" Monitor

I've had that problem and found out that the file name displayed in Windows is not the actual file name but an alias so it could not be deleted as such.

Try to rename and delete the file using command prompt?
    It's also possible that the real file name could be masked, to check this:
    From a command prompt, do a "dir /x" and see if it reports a different name (one with a ~) to try.
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe CPU: Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K 3.4GHz @ 5.0GHz (Coolermaster V8 Cooler) RAM: 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 PC12800 Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX460 Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio Monitor: HP 2711x (27” LED) SSD: 120GB OCZ Vertex 4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 1000W

Ultra Great White Shark!! richardginn's Avatar
    If you can get into dos mode, you will be able to squash those files.
    www.myeducational plan.com-come see my plan to fix the USA educational system. I hope this is sig legal. Major Site Design Update on July 18, 2006. On June 18, 2009 passed the 10,000 post mark. December 24, 2009: Major Theme change and more....

Tiger Shark
    If you're running WinXP, turn off its indexing service (Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services, double click on Indexing, click the Stop button). That will stop XP from trying to "index" the file (and any others in the folder with it)you're trying to delete. You should be able to delete it then.

What does indexing do?

what will happen if I don't index files?
    Last edited by Terry; 10-30-2003 at 03:09 PM.
    Member of TSGG & ITG
    HEATWARE

Follow me down the rabbit hole:
    Spoiler

had the same problem and fixed it and i remember i did something with the registry but i forgot now...i did a search and came up with this and it sounds like what i did

The fix for Windows XP not letting you delete .avi I've seen this coming up more and more all over the place so I figured I'd stick it here. Avi files (divx) can be trouble in xp. there is a fix to let xp behave much better so it's possible to move or delete large avi files. The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll. To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCLSID{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}InProcServer32 This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files. Just an extra note, if you do a "search" for this key it will not be found, look for it manually it is very easy to find. As always newbie or not, if you FUBAR your registry its your own fault. This fix does work, I use it and have applied it to many XP machines."

What does indexing do?
    i think it is used for the search function of windows...where it asks u if u want to index files for a faster search, i think its a sort of cache/table of contents for faster access to files...just a guess
    Last edited by vairox; 10-30-2003 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549
    In Canada you'd probably have to wait at least 30 days to get a broken arm fixed.

Biostar TZ77B
    i5-3570k@4.5ghz
    Hyper 212+
    16GB Samsung DDR3
    Dual 19" Syncmaster 953bw
    Samsung DVD-RW
    480GB PNY SSD
    1.5 TB WD Green SATA
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB Seagate

3.0 TB Seagate External
    4.0 TB Seagate External

Tiger Shark
    Indexing is similar to Win9x's "Find Fast"...or "Fast Find," never can remember.

Find Fast/Fast Find was supposed to look at all the files on your computer when the system was idle to note their locations so they can be found faster. It turned out to be worse than useless because it would kick in when the system wasn't idle, usually slowing things to a crawl while it catalogued everything so it would run faster.

Indexing does more or less the same thing (resulting in "tunneling")and can take forever to inspect large files. It doesn't confine itself to sorting out just the file you're trying to access, either. It likes to go on and inspect every file in the folder with in. In the case of avi files, which can be huge, this sorting out can take days, maybe even weeks. (Perhaps an over-simplified explanation of Indexing but it gets the basics across)

I always turn indexing off and have never had a problem with it being disabled.