Got the 550s and the Audigy 2 NX today

Sharky Forums

Thread: Got the 550s and the Audigy 2 NX today

Got the 550s and the Audigy 2 NX today

Still breaking them in of course, one disappointment (not related to the sound system though).

I've learned to prefer WinDVD 5 Platinum over PowerDVD 5 Deluxe. The problem is that WinDVD will not allow me to use all 5 speakers. I only allows stereo. All the higher speaker options are simply grayed out. PowerDVD 5 Deluxe on the other had perfectly allows me to use all 5 speakers. Anyone know what this problem may be related to?

Did you buy that version of WinDvd 5 platinum? Usually trial versions only have stereo output.
    Spoiler

Yeah... I bought the full version. I got PowerDVD 5 Deluxe from my friend. I meant to recommend her WinDVD, but accidentally recommended her PowerDVD, I got lucky I guess

So your speaker settings are set to 5.1 and 5.1 works in everthing else properly? (games, music, Powerdvd of course)
    Last edited by soupnazi; 10-30-2003 at 12:29 AM.
    Spoiler

Heh, i'll be very detailed.

Everything works in 5.1, music, video, the DVD-Audio cd. Todo (spanish for everything).
    WinDVD 5 Platinum (although set to 2 speakers) will even play through all 5 speakers IF I turn on CMSS (CMSS in my case is just spreading the signal that is meant for the 2 speakers to all 5), but I don't want that, as it's not true 5.1 sorround sound for a dvd movie...

I'm on a laptop, so I haven't tried came. (Heh, you wanna try playing one with the Rage Mobility M4? The VC on this lappy is a 64bit VC. Half of the TNT2!!
    I've played music through mediasource, winamp, and WMP9 and they all work fine through all 5 speakers (as long as CMSS is turned on of course). But with WinDVD I want true 5.1 (as in having 5.1 sound with CMSS OFF. I can do this with Power DVD5 Deluxe and it's the good 5.1 sorround sound.

Very interesting. You may wanna uninstall and reinstall Windvd. Do you if the 5.1 option in Windvd was ever accessible?
    Last edited by soupnazi; 10-30-2003 at 12:50 AM.
    Spoiler

with WINdvd, they have audio packs you can purchase that enable the other audio output methods. Basically, they want you to pay twice for full functionality. The regular version only allows stereo out, but you can pay extra and then you get the other audio options.

my answer to them:

removed
    Originally posted by Ferrett
    I'M SORRY. There were hot girls. I got distracted.

Frickin sweet Big Mac...

I've been using PowerDVD for a while and I don't have that many complaints about it. I'm sure I'll love it even more when I get my A2. Then, I'll love it even more when I get my Ultra's

Tiger Shark
    you just owned intervideo and its overpriced user unfriendly peice of crap.

all kidding aside the only positive aspect of windvd is its videoquality, and if you have an Nvidia card the quality seems about the same on power, in fact slightly better on powerdvd and nvdvd

Congrats, now it's time for you to try it out.
    -mark

OC Crusader
    Sigma Dir CrawlingEye of the Cooler's Guild
    SharkyExtreme.com 3D Mark Team

Samsung SM348
    Asus P4S533
    Pentium 4 2.26b
    Samsung pc2700 512MB
    Seagate Barracuda IV 40gig 7200RPM
    ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
    Audigy 2
    Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP
    Antec pp412x
    Cambridge Megaworks THX 550
    Sennheiser HD212 Pro
    Sennheiser mx300
    Ultrasone HFI 650 Trackmaster
    Rio Karma

3D Mark 2001SE Compare: 14707
    3D Mark 2003 Compare: 4550

Originally posted by Big_Mac
    with WINdvd, they have audio packs you can purchase that enable the other audio output methods. Basically, they want you to pay twice for full functionality. The regular version only allows stereo out, but you can pay extra and then you get the other audio options.

my answer to them:
    Had to reply to it. You know, just to have his comment double posted
    I fixed the problem. The problem interestingly enough was that my laptop's onboard audio was still enabled in Windows. The odd thing was that the volume control on my laptop would automatically the Audigy 2 NX (external soundcard). The headphone/mic/input were also dead before me actually disbling the internal card in device manager. The volume control in Windows would also control the A2 NX.

Originally posted by Big_Mac
    *gives the bird*
    please... tell us how you really feel, im having trouble deciphering your emotions