Changing boards - what will happen to Windows?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Changing boards - what will happen to Windows?

Catfish

Changing boards - what will happen to Windows?

Hi:

I'm planning on changing my mobo and cpu to an Athlon 64 combo - not sure which yet. What do I have to do to make the transition without loosing all the info on my HDD. I have read that Windows XP doesn't like to see a change in the motherboard. Can someone please give me an idea of what I have to do in order to change my components and have Windows work like it is now without having to reformat and lose all the info on my HDD?

Thanks very much,
    Arcanum777
    Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600
    2048 mb OCZ pc3200
    74gig WD Raptor
    250gig Seagate SATA
    160gig Seagate SATA - partitioned 40/80
    ATI Radeon X1950XTX
    Audiotrak Pridigy 7.1LT sound card
    Accent HT-400 case with Ultra X-connect 500w psu
    Thermalright xp-120 with 120mm SilenX
    3 SilenX 80mm for cooling
    Sony Blu-Ray Burner

I'd back up your important data. Formats are good every once in a while anyway.

reformatting is the only way to go after a motherboard switch. if you keep your data on a separate partition, it's much less painful.
    workstation: athlon xp-m 2400+@2.4Ghz | epox 8rda+ | 512mb | seagate 80gb+160gb | arch linux
    web server: athlon xp 1600+ | epox 8k3a+ | 256mb | maxtor 30gb | debian linux

Originally posted by serotone9
    reformatting is the only way to go after a motherboard switch. if you keep your data on a separate partition, it's much less painful.
    Ditto that... esp. with such brand new mobo like yours!! *Envy**

Catfish
    Hi:

So can I set up a second partition on my current drive and backup my data to it and then just reformat the "old" partition when I switch it out? And if that is the case, is there an easy way to copy over things like my games and other applications or will I have to reinstall them as well?

Thanks for the fast responses everyone,
    Arcanum
    Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600
    2048 mb OCZ pc3200
    74gig WD Raptor
    250gig Seagate SATA
    160gig Seagate SATA - partitioned 40/80
    ATI Radeon X1950XTX
    Audiotrak Pridigy 7.1LT sound card
    Accent HT-400 case with Ultra X-connect 500w psu
    Thermalright xp-120 with 120mm SilenX
    3 SilenX 80mm for cooling
    Sony Blu-Ray Burner

Great White Shark
    Reinstall all applications that use the registry.

Don't forget to backup data in Documents and Settings. An OS reinstall changes your security identifier (SID)

you'll pretty much have to reinstall everything. with the programs already in folders of their own, it seems to make it easier, though. you can just go down the "list" and reinstall everything one by one.

if you can make another partition to back up your data without deleting everything (e.g., using partition magic), that would be the best way. iow, don't do it through a dos prompt or win2k/xp setup because you'll lose everything on the partition. if you don't have a partitioning program, you'll have to break out the CDs. (don't forget your IE bookmarks and outlook mail, if you use those.)

then after that, keep the OS separate from the data and you won't have to go through all the backing up and everything anymore. just wipe the partition with the OS clean and reinstall, then add your programs. much better.
    workstation: athlon xp-m 2400+@2.4Ghz | epox 8rda+ | 512mb | seagate 80gb+160gb | arch linux
    web server: athlon xp 1600+ | epox 8k3a+ | 256mb | maxtor 30gb | debian linux

yeah just copy your "my documents" folder, favorites, desktop items, and any other "data" files on your hard drive (mp3s, movies etc...) all over to your second hard drive

start up off the xp install cd and quickformat your main partition, then install xp on it

when you boot back up into a fresh copy of xp, install chipset drivers *nforce3 drivers* your video card drivers etc.... and run SP1 if your copy does not have it preinstalled. Then install the blaster patch *VERY IMPORTANT*. then run windows update to get all the security fixes etc..

after all that **** is done and you're patched up and happy * we love xp !* then install all your applications. you may wish to consider making a ghost image of your c drive now...

then move all the data back over

hope that helps, i do it about 4-5 times a year

-misfit
    Mein Komp
    Antec P180 w/ 450w Antec PSU
    ECS KN1 SLI Extreme w/ Zalman passive NB cooler
    Athlon 64 3500+ Venice w/ Zalman cooler
    eVGA 7800GT CO PCIe
    1GB DDR400
    1x 80 GB IDE, 1x 120GB SATA , 2x 250GB SATA
    16x DL LiteOn DVD+/-RW
    Sony G500 Trinitron 21" CRT 1280x960@96Hz
    Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's on Audigy2 ZS
    Windows XP Pro SP2

just be careful about what your switching to, i had a via kt333 motherboard and switched to an nforce2, windows wouldnt boot, blue screen etc and it wasgonna be a long month of reinstalling everything i use and get everything back the same so i was determined to avoid it. asked some people in the AMD overclocking newsgroup and they said it was due to windows loading my via ide drivers but there was no via ide controller so it wasnt loading the OS....so i switched motherboards back, uninstalled all the via drivers/4-in-1 pack etc etc, shut down, swapped mobos and it booted like a champ...so just make sure u are aware of what motherboard drivers are for what and what your switching to....you learn something new everyday lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549
    In Canada you'd probably have to wait at least 30 days to get a broken arm fixed.

Biostar TZ77B
    i5-3570k@4.5ghz
    Hyper 212+
    16GB Samsung DDR3
    Dual 19" Syncmaster 953bw
    Samsung DVD-RW
    480GB PNY SSD
    1.5 TB WD Green SATA
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB WD Red
    3.0 TB Seagate