Tornado Intake Fan

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tornado Intake Fan

Catfish

Tornado Intake Fan

Hey guys. I'm adding an 80mm Tornado intake fan for my case. This should do a good amount of cooling seeing how my room temp is 10*C cooler than case temp right? My CPU temp is 30c idle and 34c after hours under load. Case temp is 30c. I set my cpu to stock speeds and these are the temps. Any good?

Catfish
    I had been thinking about a Tornado as an intake fan also. But now I have decided to enlarge the fan opening and use a YS-Tec 120x38 fan, it has more CFM 125.5 v 84.1, and 10 DB less noise. I figure with an intake filter it won't be too loud.

Gary

I think it would do a much better job as exhaust seeing as how it forces air in a very high speed it will disrupt airflow a lot with it on the intake. The only way your can be sure is to test both ways... if you do put it as exhaust the case might get dusty a bit faster but that won't matter as long as you do occasional clean-ups (I would say 1-2 month periods).

Catfish
    hmm...I think im gonna keep it as an intake fan because I already have a tornado running as an exhaust fan.

Originally posted by thrust
    hmm...I think im gonna keep it as an intake fan because I already have a tornado running as an exhaust fan.
    Doubt it will improve temps any. You already have outstanding temps! Intake fans can often spoil good case airflow, but can help on rare occassions.
    The Money Trap = Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ASUS P6X58D-E | 3 x 2GB G.Skill DDR3 2000 6-9-6-24 | EVGA GTX 580 DS SC | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB SSD | WD VelociRaptor | Klipsch ProMedia | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Antec TPQ-1200W | Dell U2711 2560 x 1440 27" | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | APC RS1500

While this is a good topic and I like lots of fans in mine I am moving this over to the Proper Section. BTW, I have two Tornado's in mine and it does improve case temps.

Great White Shark
    Is the Tornado you want as an intake the same one as the exhaust is?

Neutral case pressure is the best way to go. Cuts down on dust and does not blow hot air around.

You won't have equal pressure due to the PSU though. Do you have any other exhausts besides the one Tornado?

Hammerhead Shark icecube_of_death's Avatar
    I would rather open the case and put a desk fan next to it... I think it'll do much better than having another Tornado
    [SIZE=1.5]XP 1700+ @ 2.3 Ghz (219 x 10.5) 1.63v | Abit NF7-S rev. 2 d22 Alpha 1 Turbo | 512Mb PC2700 DDR333 | Thermalright SK-7 w/ Smart Fan II | Maxtor 6E030L0 30Gb | MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 128Mb 315/560 | Thermaltake Giant II | LG 40/12/40 | WinXP SP1

Sharky Extreme 3DMark Team | Alpha Dir icecube_of_death of the Cooler's Guild | Sharky Folding @ Home Team

3DMark can kiss my ***
    [/SIZE]

Originally posted by speedstream5621
    Is the Tornado you want as an intake the same one as the exhaust is?

Neutral case pressure is the best way to go. Cuts down on dust and does not blow hot air around.

You won't have equal pressure due to the PSU though. Do you have any other exhausts besides the one Tornado?
    Equal pressure is generally acheived by creating "negative pressure."

The way this works is that a case has vents. If your fans are set as exhausts, the only possible way for the fans to function without imploding the case (which obviously the fans are not capable of) is to pull more air in from the vents.

This creates a natural equal case pressure.
    -mark

OC Crusader
    Sigma Dir CrawlingEye of the Cooler's Guild
    SharkyExtreme.com 3D Mark Team

Samsung SM348
    Asus P4S533
    Pentium 4 2.26b
    Samsung pc2700 512MB
    Seagate Barracuda IV 40gig 7200RPM
    ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
    Audigy 2
    Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP
    Antec pp412x
    Cambridge Megaworks THX 550
    Sennheiser HD212 Pro
    Sennheiser mx300
    Ultrasone HFI 650 Trackmaster
    Rio Karma

3D Mark 2001SE Compare: 14707
    3D Mark 2003 Compare: 4550

Reef Shark
    I wouldn't use the Tornado for an intake because the strength of the air it pushes seems to disrupt case air flow. I've got a 92mm Tornado on my HS and if I turn it up full blast, my case temp rises several degrees even though my cpu temp drops. I'd go with a good Panaflo instead.

Great White Shark
    Originally posted by CrawlingEye
    Equal pressure is generally acheived by creating "negative pressure."

The way this works is that a case has vents. If your fans are set as exhausts, the only possible way for the fans to function without imploding the case (which obviously the fans are not capable of) is to pull more air in from the vents.

This creates a natural equal case pressure.
    While that may be, unless you seal your case, you'll be pulling air from all the nook and crannies of the case. Or if you have vents in the very back of the case, like by the AGP and PCI slots-you'll be sucking in air from there...what good does that do?

That's why I like intakes.

Catfish
    Well I have now installed this new tornado. I took you guys advice and decided to use it as an exhaust rather than an intake. My new temps are 26*c case temp and 28*c cpu idle temp. I put my cpu under load for hours and could not get it to exceed 32*c. I think ive done a pretty damn good job. I like my 14 case fans

Originally posted by speedstream5621
    While that may be, unless you seal your case, you'll be pulling air from all the nook and crannies of the case. Or if you have vents in the very back of the case, like by the AGP and PCI slots-you'll be sucking in air from there...what good does that do?

That's why I like intakes.
    I fail to see your point?

I mean, you're agreeing with me but disagreeing that it's a positive thing. Pulling air into your case from vents (regardless of if they're just an opening between drives or actual case vents) it still will create an equal pressure.
    -mark

OC Crusader

Samsung SM348
    Asus P4S533
    Pentium 4 2.26b
    Samsung pc2700 512MB
    ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
    Audigy 2
    Antec pp412x
    Sennheiser HD212 Pro
    Sennheiser mx300
    Rio Karma

Well I have now installed this new tornado. I took you guys advice and decided to use it as an exhaust rather than an intake. My new temps are 26*c case temp and 28*c cpu idle temp. I put my cpu under load for hours and could not get it to exceed 32*c. I think ive done a pretty damn good job. I like my 14 case fans
    Sounds sweet. Congrats on the good temps!
    -mark

OC Crusader

Samsung SM348
    Asus P4S533
    Pentium 4 2.26b
    Samsung pc2700 512MB
    ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
    Audigy 2
    Antec pp412x
    Sennheiser HD212 Pro
    Sennheiser mx300
    Rio Karma

Excellent temps man! I only see 28C when I wake up and my rig had had 10 hours to cool down, lol