Toshiba e355 Pocket PC

Sharky Forums

Thread: Toshiba e355 Pocket PC

Toshiba e355 Pocket PC

Do you guys have any opinions on this PDA? I've read a couple of reviews (literally - there are only two proffesional reviews on the net ), and most of the user reviews on amazon and epinions leave much to be desired so ill ask here. If any of you have used it, or worked on it, do tell.

The couple of issues with Toshiba, before they come up, i am aware of. As crappy as their support is i already have a relationship with one of their repair sites through owning their laptop, so im not too worried about that even if problems do arise.
    High End Lian Li Case = $180 on Mastercard
    High End Coolermaster Case = $180 on mastercard
    Debating which computer case is better = Priceless

I'm a Coolermaster Fanboy, are you?

I read the same user reviews as you, yet it's still very attractive feature/pricewise. I won an Ebay auction tonight for this unit because the previous owner who bought it didn't expect incompatability issue with his Macintosh

Picked it up for $180 shipped. A bit more than what I really wanted to spend, but hopefully I can keep better notes and appointments with this thing.
    MBP 2.13 C2D

I just recieved my PDA today and have played it with abit. If you have any questions and curiousities, let me know. Nothing has really dazzled me, but I didn't really expect it to. Battery life seems abit short however when playing mp3 or multimedia applications.
    MBP 2.13 C2D

Sadly you overpaid. www.edealsinfo.com regulary has these units for less than 150, more often than not with free shipping from stores like Staples and CompUSA.

Question: How is the quality of the headphone jack? Is there enough power for the bass coming through? And have you tried playing movies on it yet?
    High End Lian Li Case = $180 on Mastercard
    High End Coolermaster Case = $180 on mastercard
    Debating which computer case is better = Priceless

I'm a Coolermaster Fanboy, are you?

Argh on price. I paid 150$ for the unit, but $30 extra for shipping.

Headphones seems to power my earbuds, even my Sony MDR700DJs fine with ample bass to satisfy the most discriminating. I haven't watched any movies as yet, but I have watched some clips on it which are also very crisp. Movies is inevitable once I get adaquet storage, but 64MBs of internal isn't that great.
    MBP 2.13 C2D

Sushi

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier_Of_Evil View Post
    Do you guys have any opinions on this PDA? I've read a couple of reviews (literally - there are only two proffesional reviews on the net ), and most of the user reviews on amazon and epinions leave much to be desired so ill ask here. If any of you have used it, or worked on it, do tell.

The couple of issues with Toshiba, before they come up, i am aware of. As crappy as their support is i already have a relationship with one of their repair sites through owning their laptop, so im not too worried about that even if problems do arise.
    I realize this post is 11 years old.. so I apologize for posting in it. However, I was just wanting to let you know that I recently bought one of the e355 Toshiba Pocket PC/PDA units at an estate sale for 8 dollars! It's a sweet PDA in my opinion.. but then again, I've never owned one of these things before, so its new to me.. and anything new to me is usually cool.

Anyhow, I got it 2 months ago.. got home and realized that I didn't have a power cord/charger for it. When I bought the PDA at the estate sale you know, it was sitting inside this cradle thing that came with it. It's the cradle that connects to your PC via USB-cable.. then you can slide the PDA down into the cradle and synch your email/download files/transfer files/ etc..

Well, I thought that it would also charge the PDA unit.. because my cell-phone, I have a USB-cable for it.. and whenever I connect it to my computer via the USB cable.. it also charges the phone. So I just figured that it was the same thing with this. Boy was I wrong.

So I've had the thing sitting around for about 2 months now without being able to use it.

Well, finally yesterday, I looked online and found the Owners Manual for my e355 and downloaded it. I got to reading it.. and found out that sure enough, to charge it/power it up - I needed the or a power cable that comes with it from the factory.. and of course, I didn't get the power cable whenever I bought it at the estate sale.

Well, luckily for me.. Best Buy carries this model as well as many other models as well as quite a few of accessories and factory replacement parts for these things. So, I had the guy inside Best Buy test it to make sure that the charger would work.. just to make sure that the battery and everything else was in good working order. Well, sure enough.. as soon as he plugged the PDA into the power cord/charger.. she lit right up and came alive!!! I was so freaking excited!

So yeah, all these 2 months.. all this time, I figured I just ended up buying a broken down piece of crap PDA that wouldn't be good for anything except for maybe a paper-weight.. if that even.. when all I needed was the charger/power cord!

Anyhow, I got to looking online this morning like I do just about every morning.. just looking around at stuff, mainly electronics/gadgets/spy equipment.. stuff along those lines. And I got to thinking.. hmm.. I wonder what these things sell for new and used.

Turns out, depending on where you get the unit from.. this baby runs anywhere from $299.99 (new) to $249.00 (new) - As for the used ones.. I've not seen one cheaper than $125.00 to $175.00. And of course, those prices are based on 'working condition'.

So yeah, since I only paid $8 bucks for this thing, plus the $40 bucks from Best Buy for the Universal charger/power cord thing.. I'm in it for $48 bucks. Not bad! Not too bad at all if I may say so myself.

This things in great condition too. Screens not scratched anywhere.. no scratches on the outer shell (the plastic casing).. the buttons are all there.. they don't stick.. I mean, its basically in new condition.. out of the box.

I figure if I want to turn around and make a quick profit.. I could do just that. I could turn around and sell this thing for $100.00 easily on Ebay.. if not maybe even a little more than that.

But yeah, its a good model man. I've also read great reviews about the e355 model.

The only thing I'm trying to figure out.. is if I can connect it to the internet via my router. In a nutshell, I'm trying to figure out if its possible for me to connect my e355 pda to the internet.. through my internet connection and or router at my house.. this way, I could check my email and or connect to the internet no matter where I'm at.. using my internet connection from my home computer.

Anyone know if its possible to do so? Or, do you have to buy/register with an external service?? You know, like signing up for a cell phone..?

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and thanks to anyone who can help me with this question.

Have a great weekend everyone.

-Vin

Welcome to Sharky's Vinny-Ocean. Not sure about connecting it up to the net, but there are a few guys here who were bigger into PDAs back in the day and may know. Give it a day.
    Insert ancient Sharky sig here
    [
    Prince Vindir of the OC Crusaders
    Holding Boundaries and Breaking Barriers

]

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    If it has a wi-fi receiver then you should be able to via a wifi hotpot. Otherwise, probably not.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

i had one of these babies... great hardware, used it mostly to play gameboy emulators

i had quite the PDA collection back in the day

- handspring visor deluxe (palm OS)
    - toshiba e355
    - dell axim x30
    - hp 1950
    - dell axim x51v

the hp was my favorite and i used the axim x51v alongside my dumbphone until the iphone came out... the original iphone1 was my first smartphone
    Last edited by kpxgq; 03-13-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t