Mapped network drive freezes

Sharky Forums

Thread: Mapped network drive freezes

Mapped network drive freezes

Whenever I share a network drive on my desktop and then try to transfer files to it from my laptop my computer freezes. It completely freezes in every way and is unrecoverable. No blue screen, no nothing. It doesn't even say "windows has recovered from a serious error" after I reset it.

Any ideas?

Oh, this only happens with large files (1 gig or more) as far as I can tell.
    ~Pete~

Hum, reseating the card seems to have solved the issue. I have a new question now, though.

Ok, I have the nic built into my mobo and a PCI nic. The mobo nic goes out to the campus internet while the PCI nic is attached to my laptop via crossover cable. Whenever I go into tools-map network drives on my laptop and I punch in the IP address, it can't find it. However, when I disable my mobo nic on the desktop, suddently the laptop is able to see the network drive. Even more bizarre is that when I re enable my mobo NIC, the laptop continues to see the mapped network drive.

I don't think pulling the mobo out and putting it back in will solve this problem. . . haha, thanks guys.
    ~Pete~

Assuming the file sharing over your crossover cable is using TCP/IP, what are the IP addresses on each NIC? (If your IP addresses between your laptop & desktop are in the same range as a subnet on your school's LAN, that could explain the problem you're seeing.)

The school uses 134 addresses while my desktop NIC (pci) is set to 192.168.1.1 and my laptop is 192.168.1.5
    ~Pete~

Hum, the problem is back. I think I'll take your advice and try a different IP on my NICs. What range would you suggest? If that doesn't work, does that put me in the market for a new NIC?

Also, would a different computer with a 192.168.1.2 or a 192.168.1.5 address cause this problem if those two IPs never see the internet? I have both nics, but I don't have the connection bridged or shared or anything.
    ~Pete~