RAID 1 Install Gone Awry, Need Help

Sharky Forums

Thread: RAID 1 Install Gone Awry, Need Help

Hybrid View

Goldfish

Angry RAID 1 Install Gone Awry, Need Help

Yup, I attempted to install a second HDD to setup a RAID 1 on my computer. Now it's gone horribly wrong. Please help.

Here's what I've done:

1) After disconnecting power, I installed a new HDD into my computer. I made sure that I used SATA power and data cables. I plugged the new HDD SATA cable into my Promise RAID 2 slot (and wrote this down to make sure I chose the original HDD as my source).

2) Started my computer and changed my BIOS from IDE to RAID HDD setup.

3) Did Ctrl-F during POST and began the Promise FastBuild utility.

4) Under the utility, I selected Optimize Array for security and then selected create & duplicate.

5) Selected the HDD in RAID slot 1 as my source. It imaged from old HDD to new, unformatted HDD.

6) Rebooted after the imaging was complete.

Now, when Win XP Pro attempts to load, it goes to the "windows failed to load properly last time" screen. I tried to get it to load in a) safe mode, b) last known good config and c) load windows normally. The screen flashes, then the computer reboots.

7) I then booted with the Win XP Pro disc (original, not hax0rd). I reloaded the Promise RAID driver using f6 and am attempting to repair the install. It found the original install on the C: drive. It's repairing it as I type on my work laptop.

8) EDIT: Ok, asked for the viaagp.sys driver which (of course) was not on my original MOBO install disc. Used a laptop to burn the driver to a CD, seems to like it's ok.

Am I screwed? What should I have done differently? Any input on where I screwed the pooch is appreciated.
    Last edited by Evil SpongeBob; 07-17-2005 at 11:04 PM.
    Athlon 64 FX-51 | Thermaltake Xaser III w/ TT 480W PSU | 1GB Corsair XMS DDR RAM | Two WD 250GB HDD in RAID 1 | Radeon ATI 9800 Pro 128 MB | ASUS SK8V Mobo | Lite-On CD-RW & DVD-ROM | SB Audigy ZS2 Platinum and the old skool 1.44 floppy

This was my first build on 04/04. Still quite the nooblet.

Goldfish
    Ok, sorry to reply to my own message. I guess I'll post this in case it helps someone else who does the same thing. Win XP went thru the entire install process when I selected repair installation. I sat there for an hour as it worked thinking "Well, I've got a lot of reinstalling to do". Now it seems to be working fine without any loss of data (my biggest concern) or programs. But, it also seems to be loading up the select user screen a tiny bit slower, don't know why tho.

Anyway, if anyone tries to install a second HDD and go to a RAID 1 setup, don't follow my example. I don't know if there's an easier way, but there should be something faster than the 5 hours it took me.
    Athlon 64 FX-51 | Thermaltake Xaser III w/ TT 480W PSU | 1GB Corsair XMS DDR RAM | Two WD 250GB HDD in RAID 1 | Radeon ATI 9800 Pro 128 MB | ASUS SK8V Mobo | Lite-On CD-RW & DVD-ROM | SB Audigy ZS2 Platinum and the old skool 1.44 floppy

Quote Originally Posted by Evil SpongeBob
    Am I screwed? What should I have done differently? Any input on where I screwed the pooch is appreciated.
    Thankfully, it looks like things are going to turn out OK. But as for what you should've done differently, here's one suggestion: Always back up your data before performing major operations on your hard drive!

Goldfish
    Ahhhh, I forgot to add in step 0.5. Backed up the important stuff to thumb drives and CD-ROM.

I remember when my Apple II discs would go bad with my programs for school. That taught me the value of backing up my data.

Still getting longer loads to the click user name. Some programs are working and some give error messages. I had to reinstall Battlefield 2 and Windows Media player 10 for some reason. I guess it's choking on the new setup somewhat.

Edit: Awwwwww crap. I got the blue screen of death. Says there was a stop and gave some hex addresses, then rebooted before I could write them down. Arrrggghhh!
    Last edited by Evil SpongeBob; 07-17-2005 at 11:52 PM.

BozoKiller
    some bit of my advice may have mucked up the "smooth" install process, unfortunately -- the error in step 6 above may have been due to the fact that you removed the HDD in device manager from within SafeMode (but that's what safe mode is for). I have changed configurations this way many times using older win - but not tranferring to a RAID setup from a non-raid setup.
    I wonder at this point if a CHKDSK may help
    Start | Run CMD
    CHKDSK C: /r
    answer "Y" when prompted to run upon restart
    Go make a nice sandwich and have a beer, it may take some tiome to complete

Last known good Configuration would likely make things worse since evrything BEFORE the RAID array was using a different Hardware Profile/Setup - as there was no array previously, and I can imagine using anything from the System Restore backups, created before the array, would only make things worse.

I apologize if any of my suggestions caused you any woes, and happy to atleast hear you were smart enough to make backups - but I try to take responsibity for my faulty suggestions as well as my good ones

Then too - certain Startup apps may be interfering with a clean transition -- I guess disabling them using MSCONFIG and rebooting before the array building, then re-enabling afterwards "may" have helped. Just not certain

BTW - and just an educated guess, but, the VIAAGP.SYS driver is likley on your mobo CD, but it's likely in a CAB file and compressed and named VIAAGP.SY_ (the underscore designates compression)....but you know how that mobo has the VIA 4 in 1 drivers - which need installation all at once to work properly (may wanna try to Reinstall the 4 in 1 mobo chipset drivers). Usually you can use XP's [EXPAND] command line to to "extract" a single file to HDD when booted from XP CDROM into Recovery Console.

an example only -- (if the mobo CD is in CD drive letter D:\)
    EXPAND D:\4in1\CAB_FILES\VIAAGP.SY_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\VIAAGP.SYS
    (be aware that there are 2 blank spaces in the command and the above syntax is written all on 1 line, and I'm not 100% certain on the exact syntax for XP, since I don't use XP that often)
    The Mobo CD may also be using a different form of compression/storage than the WinXP CD - and the 4 in 1 drivers may only be able to be installed all at once.

another quick thought - DirectX 9c beta (if installed) may be causing issues too.
    Last edited by I4one; 07-18-2005 at 05:24 AM.
    Delete the Electoral College - Support
    www.NationalPopularVote.com

"The world according to DRM Bozos"

I am a consumer, I'll buy anything
    I am a sheep, I am cattle, I follow the herd
    I am ignorant, a dumbass, and I am a bozo...
    I am the epitome of the 'rank and file'
    I am your next door neighbor
    I am 95% of American Consumers
    I will consume you

• If the light in your head hasn't come on yet,
      I suggest you go get a new bulb!