Starcraft to be three games. Not what you think. - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starcraft to be three games. Not what you think.

Reef Shark
    Blizzard can do whatever they want anyway. You all know that you'll buy all three games regardless.

Extremely weak. You know they are going to price each game at $39.99 too. $120 for an RTS is a bit much. It makes some sense though. This will let them release the game on a semi-normal (at least for Blizzard) timeline. Instead of having to wait until 2012, we can get the first installment next year.

Reef Shark
    How come? Multiplayer is the hardest part to develop, they have to already design and balance all 3 races for the first one. Surely making 20 single player levels per race and a few crappy fmv sequences doesn't take that long.

A few "crappy" FMV sequences? Blizzard produces some of the best FMV sequences that exist. It's on par with the kind of stuff done by ILM. Above and beyond the kind of stuff done by Dreamworks IMO. My guess is that's one of the reasons their games take so long. Those videos take YEARS to make.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 10-11-2008 at 02:15 PM.

I agree. Blizzard was kicking CGI's *** long before Pixar.
    my rig

cpu: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5ghz
    mobo: AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    ram: 4x4gig GSkill Ripjaw X ddr3 1866
    cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    mouse: Logitech G500
    video: MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
    hdd(s): Crucial M4 SSD 240 gig (Windows 7)
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (data drive)
    dvd +/- r: Pioneer 111D D/L
    monitor: 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
    psu: PC P&C 610W
    chassis: NZXT Phantom

Just look at the detail in the StarCraft II teaser trailer. It's unreal. Un-****ing-real. The people at Pixar/Dreamworks probably cry themselves to sleep after looking at that.

I heard that the intro sequence to WoW took 6 months to make. Don't know if that's true or not, and they likely only had a handful of people working on it, but still... that **** takes time. That seems like a reasonable time frame too, since they were relatively short staffed back then. I mean, a team of people actually had to draw, animate, texture and render that sequence. A handful of people can't exactly whip that up in a week.

Sleeps with the Fishes
    As far as balance, I thought i read somewhere that star craft II will be star craft 1 but with better graphics.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Uhm, so what? If the single player campaign is only 5 hours long then I will know they are just milking the fan base, but knowing blizzard each campaign in the trilogy will be 20+ hours in length.

DoW original only had a Space Marine campaign. The campaign in the later DoW games aren't even a real story. Blizz always weaves an interesting story in with the campaigns.

I think it is cool that they are dedicating a full campaign and full game to each race. They are going to rock.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Starcraft to be three games. Not what you think.
    Actually, that's exactly what I thought reading the title .

And I also agree it is an obvious milking attempt. The only way I'll believe they're honest to god real full games is if they are the best three RTS campaigns ever or if the individual pricing is around $20/$25.
    Last edited by Lee_T; 10-11-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: can't make his own mind in one posting
    Professional lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_T View Post
    Actually, that's exactly what I thought reading the title .

And I also agree it is an obvious milking attempt. The only I'll believe they're honest to god real full games is if they are the best three RTS campaigns ever or if the individual pricing is around $20/$25.
    actually if it's $20 per compagne is not that bad.

but if they charge full price $50 per fraction then that's mess upd
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by rimmerchant View Post
    actually if it's $20 per compagne is not that bad.

but if they charge full price $50 per fraction then that's mess upd
    Anything is possible, but I HIGHLY doubt it will be 50 dollars per faction. I bet it will be expansions set at 30 bucks with a campaign and extra features.

I figure they'll release them at something like $39.99, and then drop the price on the first one to $29.99 when the second one comes out.

It's an expansion by another name.

What is with all of these expectations?

You guys assume that because its not going to include all of the races the original did, the first part of this trilogy is only 1/3rd of the game? So you decide how much content dictates a full game now, instead of the developer?

So let me get this straight, 3 fully developed and orchestrated individual campaigns is a bad thing where 3 shorter less intricate campaigns is better?

Or, assuming each campaign is 15-20 hours each, you're just pissed because you have to pay full price for 3 full games, rather than getting 3 games for the price of one? What made you assume you'd get 3 games for the price of one in the first place? Where did the assumption that the 3 games will be neutered come from anyway?

You all know what they say about making assumptions...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie
    Yeah... I wasn't paying attention, I was killing trees.

Quote Originally Posted by KaoTiK View Post
    What is with all of these expectations?

You guys assume that because its not going to include all of the races the original did, the first part of this trilogy is only 1/3rd of the game? So you decide how much content dictates a full game now, instead of the developer?

So let me get this straight, 3 fully developed and orchestrated individual campaigns is a bad thing where 3 shorter less intricate campaigns is better?

Or, assuming each campaign is 15-20 hours each, you're just pissed because you have to pay full price for 3 full games, rather than getting 3 games for the price of one? What made you assume you'd get 3 games for the price of one in the first place? Where did the assumption that the 3 games will be neutered come from anyway?

You all know what they say about making assumptions...
    That's what I was thinking as well. I don't know why people have automatically thought they are going to get a ~5 hour campaign with each expansion. Knowing blizzard each campaign is going to be 20+ hours long easy.