Windows XP Home Freeze on Load Screen

System:
    Athlon 64 x2 3800+
    2x 1gb Gskill Ram
    Jetway 939gt4 Motherboard
    EVGA GeForce 8600gt
    700W Rocketfish PSU
    Creative Soundblaster Live 24bit.
    160 gb IDE HD (Old HD so I don't know the make)
    Western Digital 320gb SATA HD

Hey I've been having a problem loading Windows XP lately. I had made no software or hardware changes when one day Windows XP would not get past the loading screen with the blue bar. It would move across 20 or so times and just freeze. I had to manually restart and after trying five times or so it never made it past the loading screen. Then I tried running my pc in safe mode off the same HD when the "windows did not start properly" prompt appeared and that worked without a hitch. I tried to system restore, remove my most recent programs, registry cleaning, antivirus, antispyware, and chkdsk, but to no avail. I would also like to add that both my HD's are running windows xp and the IDE HD works everytime. Also RAID drivers are installed (a solution people had to a similar problem). I tried disconnecting and reconnecting my SATA HD with different SATA ports and different SATA power connecters, but I had the same problem.

I deduced that my problem was some sort or virus or corrupted file in windows, so I formatted and reinstalled windows. Everything worked perfectly that night and restarted normally every time. Again it worked the next morning, but the following night I had the same problem with the loading screen. I did a system restore and removed my most recent program and it worked again. And finally this morning it isn't working again. Truly I have no idea what the problem could be. Also I feel like I have exhausted any possible troubleshoot I could think of.

I know this is a lengthy post, but I wanted to give everyone ALL the information I have gathered, especially that one HD boots normally and the other after a clean install does not. Thank you for any suggestions and let me know if there are any other tests I should run or things I should check and I'll get back to you.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Do you have Windows Update set to automagically install patches? I had issues with a Win2K Server system that I had installed the latest Updates on last week. It would get to the point right before the login screen would come up and then just sit there. For Evar. Ended up getting rid of these patches and it came right back up:

KB956390
    KB957095
    KB956391
    KB954211

YMMV and the issues may be totally unrelated.

g
    Main Rig:
    Chieftec DX-01BD Case w/Thermaltake Toughpower 850W PS
    eVGA i780 w/Intel Q6600 @ 3000.1MHz
    Zalman CNPS9700 LED
    8GB Corsair Memory 4x2GB
    1 x Corsair 60GB SSD - Boot + Data
    1 x WD 1TB 7200 RPM - Junk
    1 x WD 2TB 7200 RPM - More Junk
    PNY NVidia Geforce 8800GT x 2
    Sony DRU-810A, LG Blu-Ray Burner
    Logitech Z-680
    Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22" Widescreen Monitor
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    A little Neon

Could also be a failing HDD. Sounds quite like it.
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

Expensive Sushi
    Thanks for the replies. I finally got it to work by removing firefox 3.03, defragging, and restarting repeatedly until all windows updates were installed and that solved the problem, for now. Speaking of the failing HD, I was surfing posts about my problem and found out I should take a look at Event Viewer. Found something disheartening: Warning Event ID 51 "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation." Upon looking under Disk Management I found that drive D was my boot 320 SATA HD. Any ideas about what this means? It would be sad if my new HD is indeed failing. It's a Western Digital and this is my second one in 2 months.