Media Center PC

Sharky Forums

Thread: Media Center PC

Media Center PC

I would love to have all my DVDs in one place, is it possible to build a Media Center and rip your DVDs to it, then play them back in HD? I know there are DRM issues and legal rights, but lets say you own the DVD's your burning and they are not stuck in the gray area of the DRM issue would it be possible? My main reason for this is all the DVDs my kids have always become ruined rather quickly. If my daughter runs up and wants to watch a particular DVD I would love to use a remote and just scroll through a listing and play it for her, keeping the original copy put away for safe keeping.

If anyone has a guild on how to do this, and how to get HD playback out of it, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
    Samsung SSD 850 PRO | EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR X58 RT | INTEL CORE I7 920 2.66G 45N R | CORSAIR Dominator 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 | ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 | Samsung 22" | Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

Great White Shark
    Look into MyMedia to control your digital content library.

As for ripping/encoding DVD's to hdd, that's an issue I won't discuss here.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Perfectly legal, but as james said, I wouldnt shout about it.

You're legally allowed to make a backup of your disc, just in case it gets scratched. You're not allowed however to copy the disc for distribution.
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

Great White Shark
    Cracking encryption is not legal even if you own the DVD.

Topic closed.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTaLyST
    Any reference about DVD copying will be locked at SharkyForums.com. However, it is not because the site staff is misinformed, uneducated, or even lazy. Instead, it is simply because the entire topic is far too sketchy, not to mention it has little to do with the core content of this site. As such, limiting DVD copying threads does not detract from the discussion of the site's true content, so it really is not worth the hassle of trying to sift through posts within a DVD copying thread, trying to figure out which are legit. As a favor to the volunteer's at our site, I simply eliminated the task of having to have a live-in session with each DVD thread in order to ensure all content is acceptable in terms of our AUP.