Switch configuration help - catalyst 3500

Sharky Forums

Thread: Switch configuration help - catalyst 3500

Lightbulb Switch configuration help - catalyst 3500

Hi All,

Just had a query really about setting up a Cisco Catalyst 3500 switch

I already know most of the commands I need to do what I need to as I use pre-setup switches at work on an almost daily basis. My problem is that I have never set one up from scratch and I have an interview next week for promotion and I need to set up a switch from scratch. I've been told that I'll have 'network cables', a catalyst 3500 switch, a server 2003 machine and an XP machine.

I just presume that 'network cables' means RJ-45 to RJ-45 standard ethernet, but I'm trying to connect to the console port at the moment with a standard ethernet cable and just not getting anywhere.

I've read that I need a rollover cable to setup and configure switches. This isnt a problem at home etc as I have the relevant cables here, but if on interview day I get given ethernet, I'm panicking as I dont know how to get around the HyperTerminal startup dialogue boxes.

Does anyone know how to connect via ethernet please, maybe via telnet? I'm sorry if it sounds a little noob-ish, its just a step I've missed along the way.

Thanks

No offense, but it sounds like maybe you aren't ready for this new job. Anyhow, you need a console cable. It's different than an ethernet cable. That port is actually a serial port. You hook it up to a serial port on your PC.

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarge...console-cable/

Thanks for your reply vertices.

I thought initially that it was stupid that they were only going to provide ethernet cables as it would probably blow one or both ports trying to even connect that way. I have rollover cables at home, and I know what they are.

Anyway, I had a word with my boss today, and told him that I'd need a rollover cable really to do anything productive, and he was like "oh yeah..." like he'd forgotten to include it. So I've managed to sort that now, and I sucessfully reset 2 switches today so I'm feeling a little less stressed now.

Wish me luck lol