Help getting my wireless connection going?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Help getting my wireless connection going?

Mako Shark

Help getting my wireless connection going?

I just got a "new" laptop and I can't get it connected to my network. I connects fine when I connect it by wire but I can't get it to connect to my wireless. It detects the network and a couple others within range. And I can connect to the other ones(probably my neighbors). But when I choose my network it says connected but it does not seem to be able to find an IP address. It says connected but the icon says limited or no connectivity. I have a Linksys router. Any ideas?

Tiger Shark
    one possibility...if the encryption is wpa2, Win XP won't be able to connect unless patched up to SP3 as SP2 doesn't have wpa2 support without some obscure patch. Wired connection would be fine.

Mine: Core i7-920 + Xigmatek S1283 // Gigabyte UD4P // gigabyte windforce hd6870 // 3x2GB Corsair DDR3-1333 // Antec 900 V2 // Corsair TX750 // WD 640GB Cav. blue // Samsung TOC T240 24"

kids: PhII 550 BE (quad unlocked) + freezer pro 64 // Gigabyte UD2H // 2x2GB Corsair DDR3-1600 // CM Centurion 5 // gtx260-216 // Corsair HX620 // WD 640GB Cav. black // some 22" monitor

Mako Shark
    I think I have SP3 somewhere. I will find it and see if it fixews the problem. I tried usung the Linksys EasyLink advisor but when I ran it all it did was hose my wired connection. The interface sucks you have to go through the whole setup process. You can't just play with the wireless settings,

Great White Shark
    You are best off letting Windows manage the wireless connection.

To verify that the issue is encryption related, you can turn it off on both ends to see if you get connected.

Mako Shark
    Thanks guys. It was an issue with the router. It went in and redid the wireless settings and that fixed the problem.