Partitions for new HTPC

Sharky Forums

Thread: Partitions for new HTPC

Partitions for new HTPC

Hey everyone, I just ordered the parts to put together a HTPC, including a single 1TB Western Digital hard drive. I am planning to install Vista or possibly Windows 7b (along with Media Portal). On all the computers I've built (last one was 4 years ago), I've used a small partition for the OS, and unless there is some new, prevailing technique, I plan to do the same.

My question is, how large should I make the OS partition for this system? Should 10GB suffice, or should I go up to 20? Thanks!
    skufftware (current)
    Lian-Li PC-61 w/ EnerMax 350 watt ~ AthlonXP Barton 2500+ ~ Stock cooling...for now... (Ceramique) ~ Gigabyte 7N400-L ~ 2x Buffalo Tech 512MB PC3200 DDR ~ Maxtor 120GB w/8MB ~ Audigy 2 ~ Lite On 16x DVD ~ Lite On 52x32x52 Burner ~ WinXP Home ~ the Doom III / Half-Life 2 beast

There is no compelling reason to have a OS only partition.

Vista will use in the neighborhood of 15 gigs. Win 7 will use about half that. I would make it large enough to handle all of the apps you intend to install and have plenty of room left over.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."