Motherboard Tattooing (HP)

Sharky Forums

Thread: Motherboard Tattooing (HP)

Threaded View

Goldfish

Motherboard Tattooing (HP)

Ok, lately, I've been spending more money than need be, while fixing older computers for some experience (something I've put off for far too long).

Anyway, my nephew's hp died; I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard, since there is no video card in the system, and the monitor(s) will not display anything when attempting to boot. Booting gives power, but does not appear to go anywhere after that (except stay on).

Motherboard: A8N-LA

From my understanding (and google searching), the motherboards need to be "tattooed" by hp before any recovery disk will work. This is ok, since I have an extra retail windows laying around.

So, if this is not a problem, would there be any other possible difficulty in throwing in another socket 939 board (either same as original or any other 939 model). Specifically, will the Power Supply that came with the hp work with any other board (or does the PS somehow only work with boards shipped directly from hp?)?

The asus boards' naming conventions confuses me somewhat, but how would the OEM Asus A8V-XE Socket 939 work as a replacement? There are a few OEM A8V-XE boards on ebay for about $50 with free shipping. My next "learning project" will involve throwing in a pci-e video card in (probably cheap + used after I do some research about video cards and what to add in).

One more thing...are the front panel connectors (power, led, etc) pretty much standard, where I will definitely be able to plug everything back into the new board?
    Last edited by all mogli; 08-14-2009 at 12:45 PM.