Netbook Comparisons!

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Netbook Comparisons!

Expensive Sushi

Netbook Comparisons!

So I am going to be purchasing a netbook soon, but I am in limbo between these two:

ASUS EEE PC 1101HA
    SONY VAIO W Series VPCW111XX

Between those, which would be the better one to get? Keep in mind; I will be also purchasing an external harddrive for media (music/movies) and I only intend on using this machine for: surfing the interwebs, playing quake 2, and listening/watching music/movies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thank you!

Expensive Sushi

One more Netbook to compare!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152141

I like the looks of this one. 2gigs, slightly larger screen, most likely better video card. However, I do not know anything about the MSI company.

Any ideas?

MSI is a company that's been around, and the MSI Wind is amongst the most popular netbooks.

That said I don't know anything about this new version or that AMD processor it's running. If it was me I'd go with an Intel Atom based netbook.

They all use different processors and I'm not at all familiar with the Atom line so I don't know which is better between the N280 in the Sony and the Z520 in the Asus. I like the Sony the best myself, cause I prefer smaller netbooks, and 1366x768 on a 10" screen is tight. Dunno if it would be pleasant to play Quake 2 on though.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

I have Acer Aspire One (9" LCD) for past 10 months and are very happy with it...

HP has an option to put in HD hardware decoder so you can watch 720p & 1080p videos w/o making it into slide show...

So my vote would be between Acer, MSI, or HP. Sony is just overpriced.

I definitely wouldn't buy an Acer. As for Sony being overpriced, meh, you're talking <$500 across the board anyways, who cares? HPs have nice keyboards though.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Reef Shark
    HP makes the nicest netbooks IMO. They're not best-in-class for specs, size, price, battery life, or anything at all really, but I just really like them for some reason.

Expensive Sushi
    thanks dudes!

yeah, i think i am going to either go with the new msi using the amd processor because it has 2gigs of ram or the sony.

how easy is it to get more ram into netbooks? can you just pop a back panel and stick another 1gig in?

Quote Originally Posted by ricktangles View Post
    how easy is it to get more ram into netbooks? can you just pop a back panel and stick another 1gig in?
    Yes. Don't use that as a reason to choose one over another.

Expensive Sushi
    okay, so my aunt owns a small business so i can get deals on dell laptops.

i customized a netbook on there and this is what i came up with:

10.1 screen, 80gig, intel atom n270, 1gig ddr2-800 sdram, intel gma 950, dell wireless 1510 802.11 a/g/n draft mini card, 6cell battery

it is also battlefield green and comes with ubuntu 9.04

i feel like all netbooks are basically the same for $400-$500. has anyone heard of problems with the new asus eee's?

If you're gonna get a Dell 10" get the Mini 10v, not the regular Mini 10. The 10v will allow you to run OSX if you want. Should be able get it for $299 or less.

I got a Mini 9 (Vostro A90) running OSX and I love it. Installs clean and easy.

I still like that Sony with the 1366x768 10" screen though. I was just reading Maximum PC today and they said that Sony was the first netbook to have that since Intel refused to let other people put a high quality screen on a netbook with an Atom processor. But now you can do it but Intel won't give you discounts on the Atoms. That's why the Sony costs more. So it's not just a matter of the Sony being overpriced just because it's a Sony.

Expensive Sushi
    ha, yeah that sony does look tasty. but a slightly bigger screen also makes me want to get the asus one. i just wish i wasn't so indecisive.

Expensive Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDigital View Post
    If you're gonna get a Dell 10" get the Mini 10v, not the regular Mini 10. The 10v will allow you to run OSX if you want. Should be able get it for $299 or less.

I got a Mini 9 (Vostro A90) running OSX and I love it. Installs clean and easy.

I still like that Sony with the 1366x768 10" screen though. I was just reading Maximum PC today and they said that Sony was the first netbook to have that since Intel refused to let other people put a high quality screen on a netbook with an Atom processor. But now you can do it but Intel won't give you discounts on the Atoms. That's why the Sony costs more. So it's not just a matter of the Sony being overpriced just because it's a Sony.
    I have Mini 9 as well and its been a great netbook thus far. I only wish it were a tiny bit bigger... perhaps its time to pick up a Mini 10.

the new hp 5101 is probably the best netbook out right now
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

With dual core atoms slowly making an appearance over in the far east, I would expect them to start turning up in the US and Europe in the very near future. Dual core atom with the 9400M sounds quite nice. So I'll still be waiting for a tad longer.
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE | 16GB Corsair Vengenance | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 | ATI HD 4850 | Crucial C300 128GB | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Samsung F3 1.5TB | LG GH22LS30 DVD | Antec NeoPower 550W | Antec P180 | Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
    Apple Macbook Pro (13.3") | Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.26GHz | 2GB DDR3 1066 | nvidia 9400M | OSX "Snow Leopard"
    Currently playing; EvE Online - Incarna (PC/Mac) | League of Legends (PC)

honestly i think the atom is dead within a year except for niche products (mobile internet device)

the newer 1.2ghz celeron (intel su2300 + gma4100mhd) powered 11" netbooks get SUPERIOR (easily 2x faster cpu performance and 3-5x faster gpu performance performance easily with similar battery life
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t