Netbook Comparisons! - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Netbook Comparisons!

They are going to kill the atom? what?
    I'm waiting for Atom 2 until i buy a netbook
    the current one is too slow for me
    Make it Simple

I've never understand people who feel the atom is too slow for a netbook. I don't know what people plan on doing with their netbooks. About the only thing my netbook can't do is play high def video, which it could if I had a free mini-pcie slot for an HD decoder.

My friend bought himself an MSI Wind and got an HD decoder and that thing plays 1080p video at 120 frames a second now. That's better than my freakin Core 2 Quad plays them.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDigital View Post
    I've never understand people who feel the atom is too slow for a netbook. I don't know what people plan on doing with their netbooks. About the only thing my netbook can't do is play high def video, which it could if I had a free mini-pcie slot for an HD decoder.

My friend bought himself an MSI Wind and got an HD decoder and that thing plays 1080p video at 120 frames a second now. That's better than my freakin Core 2 Quad plays them.
    its slow when you consider that its target audience is casual internet users and most casual internet users spend alot of time on youtube/hulu or other flash rich sites which bogs an atom
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

I watch youtube videos all the time without issue on my mini9... ? I don't use hulu, so who knows. Like I said, anything that's not HD (720p+) should work without issue.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

The toshiba Nb200 is the best! i have one and it's amazing, it looks fantastic and batt life is second to none. I also have old games like Fallout 1 & 2, Baldurs gate 2, Alpha centauri, Gabrial knight and it plays em perfectly

by the way what browser do u guys find the best for netbooks? I use firefox but find it stutters occaisonly which is a bit annoying.

I use firefox on my OSX netbook, but I use firefox across the board with xmarks. I don't find any issues with it. Might be different on a Windows netbook.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    I've found Firefox to be a bit slower compared to chrome these days. I don't know why but chrome feels fast and lighterweight. It doesn't offer as many extensions or addons but it does everything I have wanted.

I wouldn't mind getting a netbook sometime. I love my larger 1920x1200 HP but it is a handful on the couch. I will probably wait for the next round of processors, hopefully the price isn't effected. Price is really the only reason I would consider one.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

try out an acer 1410
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

By the Power of Greyskull Colossus's Avatar
    What about the new Intel SU processors sporting like 8+ hours of battery life?

Intel I9 14900K|ASUS - MAXIMUS Z790 HERO|ASUS GTX 1080 Ti|64GB G.Skill|(3) Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVME |Custom water cooling||Alienware AW3423DW 34" OLED

288TB Plex server (UNRAID)
    (18) WD 16TB Red

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
    What about the new Intel SU processors sporting like 8+ hours of battery life?
    thats what im saying... the atom is not THAT bad for general use.. its just that the newer celeron SU cpus are MUCH MUCH faster for about the same price and power usage

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Is the celeron M 1.3ghz what you guys are talking about? Is it better than the SU Celerons?
    Last edited by Timman_24; 11-12-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    Is the celeron M 1.3ghz what you guys are talking about? Is it better than the SU Celerons?
    intel's naming convention is all over the place... ie

1.2ghz dual core mobile celeron = su2300 = celeron 743

Just curious..Netbook vs. laptop...

What be the negative impact performance-wise between a decent netbook and an entry-level notebook/laptop? Gaming, mostly? Any Word Processing (which I think would be impacted that much...).???

Anything else I can't think of?
    A64 3000+ (250x10 @ 166); Chaintech VNF-250; 1G Mushkin PC3200 (2-2-2-5);
    Antec P160 w/Clear Side; Enermax/CoolerGiant 485W PSU; Seagate 160G PATA;
    XP-90 w/Enermax 92mm; PNY 6800nu (350/750; 91.94 WQHL); Win XP Pro

I use a mini to support several automotive tools and my radar detector. Other than being small and handy, I don't really like it. It is slow and has trouble with displaying some programs, it cuts the bottom off of their windows. My XPS is so much faster (to be expected) and has longer battery life (surprise) at just a small penalty for larger size.
    "All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move."
    January 21, 2013 The End of an ERROR

Yeah, the 600px height is a pretty serious limitation, since almost everything is designed for a 1024x768 screen at the minimum in 2009. I can't even press the OK button on many basic OSX apps, like say the PRINT utility. I just have to hit enter and hope for the best.