The last game you beat,did you like it and what are you playing next? - Page 53

Sharky Forums

Page 53 of 112 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: The last game you beat,did you like it and what are you playing next?

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Finished Aquaria

I got about 7 hours into it and I'm done with this game. Neat little indie title but the sloppy controls and constant backtracking/exploration has worn me down. A nice effort but nothing really to keep you vested the whole way through. Also, I think the game is near unplayable without a walk-through since the narrative is fairly ambiguous on where to go and what to do next. This wouldn't have been an issue if the controls and exploration were actually fun.

Not worth playing IMHO unless you want to see some of the neat concept art that pops up during story and pretty hand drawn visuals.
    Last edited by taggart6; 10-10-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

What you gonna do?!? fastitocalon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    Finished Sleeping Dogs.

Talk about your hidden gems and sleeper hits. SD was just a real solid game IMHO. I really enjoyed it all the way through and would have loved to keep playing. I hope some worthwhile DLC comes out for it. They could easily expand upon the core game and turn it into its own franchise as opposed to just another True Crimes game.

I highly recommend it if you enjoy GTA and great character development.
    This or X-Com will be my next game, I haven't decided yet.
    A true friend stabs you in the front.
    -Oscar Wilde

Gamertag: Kelkeen
    PSN ID: Kelkeen
    Heatware: Fastitocalon
    Steam: Fastitocalon

http://raptr.com/badge/dfea8180810e4...7590e2b/fs.png

Finished Sleeping Dogs.

Talk about your hidden gems and sleeper hits. SD was just a real solid game IMHO. I really enjoyed it all the way through and would have loved to keep playing. I hope some worthwhile DLC comes out for it. They could easily expand upon the core game and turn it into its own franchise as opposed to just another True Crimes game.

I highly recommend it if you enjoy GTA and great character development.
    Yeah, I'm playing it now, fun game. I really wish there was an option to make it stay night all the time.

Night time pros: no taxing shadows from the sun that makes my rig crawl, better Deus-Ex like atmosphere (SHADY HONG KONG TRIAD), better looking

New rig parts are on the way, so maybe I'll like daytime better once I install them. Running on a Q8200 with 4GB of DDR2 RAM at the moment and it's bottlenecking my 660.
    New Build (Oct. 2012)
    -[ ASUS P8Z77-V |:| Intel Core i5-3550 |:| 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LP |:| EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB |:| Samsung 830 256GB |:| Windows 7 ]-
    Currently Playing
    -[ Sleeping Dogs |:| Guild Wars 2 |:| Torchlight 2 ]-

Great White Shark
    Just finished Borderlands 2.

I dig the game. It's more of Borderlands, which is a good thing. The writing is funny, the gameplay is fun. I'll probably playthrough again with friends, or for a 2nd playthrough to get to level 50. We'll see. If I don't play this, I might actually give some time to the Wii or Xbox 360, or maybe slip back into minecraft or recettear.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Borderlands is one of the most derivative and unoriginal games I've ever played. That said, I enjoy the mindless action, hilarious writing/characters, ease at which to pick up and play in short gaming bursts, and the high amount of in-game personal touches/references. Despite how mundane the core mechanics are, I still find myself enjoying the game.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Beat Borderlands 2 a while back as well and loved it. Still playing a lot; have a Commando and a Mechromancer that I'm levelling when I'm not working my Gunzerker through playthrough 2.

Not sure what I'm going to play next; going to work on finishing some books before I get too involved in anything, I think.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Borderlands is one of the most derivative and unoriginal games I've ever played. That said, I enjoy the mindless action, hilarious writing/characters, ease at which to pick up and play in short gaming bursts, and the high amount of in-game personal touches/references. Despite how mundane the core mechanics are, I still find myself enjoying the game.
    Glad you are enjoying it! I am curious however what other game of this type there are? I have never heard of another FPS loot finding/grind game before and would like to play more of them!
    Currently playing: Destiny. NHL 15. (ONE) Stronghold Crusader 2. KF2 (PC).
    Gamer Tag: MajorPayne189 Steam ID: MajorPayne
    I7 930, Gigabyte x58a, 6 GB DDR3, 1 TB Black, Radeon 5850, Corsair 750W, Win 7 x64

Pretty much every FPS that has MP is a loot grinding game. Take a look at the last 3 Call of duty games and their rank level, or the last 2 or 3 battlefield games. The only difference is that you are playing levels in Borderlands rather then player vs player skirmishes. At the end of the day, your still grinding away your character to unlock better skills, weapons, and etc.

IMHO, Borderlands turns that FPS MMO experience into one giant single player instanced dungeon while offering fewer incremental rewards and fewer character options. That said, Gearbox does a great job of creating an interesting world that I want to explore. I'm still enjoying the game although I suspect it will burn me out like the last one did.
    Last edited by taggart6; 10-12-2012 at 09:13 AM.

The unlocking of items in CoD cannot be compared to the shooting and looting of Borderlands. For one thing, the unlocks you get in CoD are not functionally better than any of the things you start off with (with the exception of expert-level perks). In CoD, you are unlocking items/perks/killstreaks that help you achieve a certain playstyle. A good level 1 player can be on the same footing as a level 60 player. In Borderlands, you are constantly upgrading your stats and weapons. A level 1 player cannot even put a dent into a level 60 player/mob who will in turn one-shot that player.

I argue that both games offer unlocks that cater toward achieving a certain play-style. The borderlands skill tress are a clear example of this and each tree and can offer huge changes on how you run you character. In fact, many kill-streak-esque skills exist that actually augment your play-style depending on quick successive kills. Although not identical, I think trying to completely differentiate skills in both games is a bit of a stretch.

Boderlands weapon drops have to be functionality better as you progress because your enemies are not a human controlled character based on skill (in which the challenge will vary greatly from player to player) but instead on AI controlled characters augmented as your character level rises where the challenge is consistent with respect to an area/level.

As I play Borderlands, each area feels like its own team death match where I'm the only person on my team left. I pick one of the weapons in my backpack that offers the damage and effects need to give me a benefit and then I clean house. Along the way I can make some skill changes to argument the way I play. Rinse and repeat.

Borderlands is not identical to COD, BF, CS, and etc. However, I do find core mechanics to be pretty similar. What BL does really well is apply the open MMO grinding world to a FPS play-style. The individual parts are really nothing new and not really all that impressive or groundbreaking. However, gearbox does a solid job marrying those ideas together in a way that is engaging enough to keep me interested...for now.
    Last edited by taggart6; 10-12-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespy View Post
    Glad you are enjoying it! I am curious however what other game of this type there are? I have never heard of another FPS loot finding/grind game before and would like to play more of them!
    I was honestly surprised after the success of the first one that there weren't more (any?) copycats running around before the sequel came out.
    Last edited by monroeski; 10-12-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Quote Originally Posted by monroeski View Post
    I was honestly surprised after the success of the first one that there weren't more (any?) copycats running around before the sequel came out.
    I was thinking the same thing! I mean, we have Dead Island that has stats and loot drops, but that game isn't anywhere near as fun as Borderlands (nor is it very fun at all, imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie View Post
    I was thinking the same thing! I mean, we have Dead Island that has stats and loot drops, but that game isn't anywhere near as fun as Borderlands (nor is it very fun at all, imo).
    Oh man...Dead Island was such a sad game IMHO..

Oh man...Dead Island was such a sad game IMHO..
    It is the definition of disappointment.

What you gonna do?!? fastitocalon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie View Post
    It is the definition of disappointment.
    It is alright if you mod it to where your weapons don't break after five minutes. Still not worth finishing.
    A true friend stabs you in the front.
    -Oscar Wilde

Gamertag: Kelkeen
    PSN ID: Kelkeen
    Heatware: Fastitocalon
    Steam: Fastitocalon

http://raptr.com/badge/dfea8180810e4...7590e2b/fs.png