12GB RAM Too Much? - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12GB RAM Too Much?

Great White Shark
    I have multiple virtual machines running server applications - CentOS, FreeBSd, Windows Vista for surfing the internet plus Windows 7 to qualify patches and applications before deploying.

On the underlying Windows 7 OS I run an FTP server, web server, mail server and do high res satellite image manipulation.

My PC can have 64GB memory and my server can handle 128GB memory. These are older systems without the newer expanded memory capacities.

I was looking at replacing my notebook. The new I7 notebooks can handle 16GB memory and 2 SSD drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    I look in Task Manager and see that I have 1.5 gigs of ram and that I'm not using HALF of it..Adding more ram for me would be a waste of hard earned cash cause there would be NO benefit to adding it...
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Windows RAM usage varies according to how much you have. If you have more, it will use more.

Come to think of it, it needs to do that, otherwise it would crash easily for lack or memory everytime you opened Notepad and your RAM was already maxed out.
    Turn-Based Racing... you know you want it!
    http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?FYs

It wouldn't crash from lack of memory it would just swap out to the hard drive.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him... The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself... All progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    The specs make the difference, not the number of memory slots because there are boards with more than 6 slots. My desktop board has 8 memory slots and my server board has 18 memory slots. I've owned boards with 2, 4, 12 and 16 memory slots.

IMO one should not make a generalization based on the number of memory slots since there are boards with 1, 2, 3 and 4 memory channels.
    There are not any boards that any of us would be buying with four memory channels. FB-DIMM could do a pseudo four channel, but not really. The northbound and southbound bus widths were asymmetrical. We're not talking about 2S/4S boards here, that's not what the guy is looking at. Not that FB-DIMM really matters for any new system anymore, the technology is dead. intel has decided it better to go back to standard registered DIMMs on two socket servers and motherboard bound memory buffers for Beckton.

'xxx channel' isn't a memory spec either, it's a northbridge and/or CPU specification. Not to mention I wasn't referring to the number of DIMM slots, but the number of DIMMs in a kit. A triple channel kit is going to have three or six DIMMs, a dual channel kit will have two or four.

Using the memory slot number to determine dual/triple channel would also apply with nearly every consumer motherboard manufactured over the past five years excluding early build low-end X58 motherboards and Gigabyte's P55 UD6 with six memory slots.
    Last edited by Nater; 01-28-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (Tuniq Tower 120) - DFI Lanparty LT P35-T2R - 8GB Corsair DDR2-800 - eVGA GTX 275 SC - SoundBlaster X-Fi - Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB - Seagate 7200.10 750GB (2) - Western Digital 1.5TB Green (2) - Western Digital 2TB Green - WINDy-Soldam MT-Pro 1700 - Antec Signature 850W- HP LP2475W (H-IPS) - Samsung 204B (TN) - Alienware Ozma 7 Headphones - Windows 7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
    It wouldn't crash from lack of memory it would just swap out to the hard drive.
    Well, I don't use a page file, but good point. Still, when I did, I've had computers freeze when the virtual memory just didn't like certain programs (Photoshop comes to mind).

My last PC (which died this month) had 2gb running Windows XP SP3, and was doing just fine, but in my new PC I've chosen 8gb and I plan to run Windows 7 and, in theory, it should do me well for a few years, given the use I give it.

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by SE_Saga View Post
    Well, I don't use a page file, but good point. Still, when I did, I've had computers freeze when the virtual memory just didn't like certain programs (Photoshop comes to mind).

My last PC (which died this month) had 2gb running Windows XP SP3, and was doing just fine, but in my new PC I've chosen 8gb and I plan to run Windows 7 and, in theory, it should do me well for a few years, given the use I give it.
    The OS can't run without a page file so a temporary page file is created if there isn't one present.
    Last edited by ua549; 01-29-2010 at 10:19 AM.

That's weird. The reason I stopped using a page file was because Opera would freeze if I had too many tabs open, idling for a while (when minimized, for instance). Ever since I turned it off, Opera never hanged again, so I'm pretty sure it did something.

Would that temporary page file be created only for Windows applications?

Great White Shark
    I'm not sure. It may be restricted to self use by the OS.

unless you NEED the extra gobs of ram, don't get extra just for the hell of it. save your money.

if you do need it in the future then get it. by that time memory will be alot cheaper.
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

Sushi

Ssd

Quote Originally Posted by genwarfare View Post
    what do SSDs do and why are they so small in size? can someone explain their purpose or how they work to me?
    i see lots of great reviews and people keep mentioning them but i cant figure out why.

do they just act like a regular hard drive that you would store larger/more demanding programs on?
    or is it some sort of passive device that helps speed up your system? (i really am clueless )

Hi,
    SSD stands for Solid State Device, basically it is flash memory, it does not have any mechanical parts like a conventional hard drive.
    There was a lot of excitement and talk of how much faster they are than mechanical hard drives when they were first released into the general market but in reality they are unlikely to be any faster than there mechanical counterparts. Tests i have seen done on Laptop drives proved that most mechanical drives were faster overall, and the high spec mechanical drives out perform the SSD types easily.
    They would be faster if they were not limited by the SATA interface, but due to the way they operate and latency they perform about the same overall as a standard cheap hard drive, many of them are also not performing up to the manufacturers spec with many falling below average of an equivalent mechanical drive, so if you are thinking of spending money on these for improved performance forget it!
    There however pro's and cons, the ones I'm aware of and important ones are:
    Pros:
    1. They use less power (saving on energy)
    2. They don't get very hot like mechanical drives (Because they use less power and have no moving parts)
    3. They are not easily damaged by shock.
    4. They don't make any noise
    5. They are small and light

Cons:
    1. It is practically impossible to perform successful data recovery on them due to the way data is written on them, So although there is much less chance of data loss with SSD, should data loss or corruption occur it's unlikely you will be able to recover it.

and what you said about the triple channel memory, using either 6GB or 12GB, does that rely entirely on weather the specs say triple or double channel? as in: putting 8gb of ram in a triple channel motherboard doesnt make any sense?
    Yes, putting 8GB in a three slot triple board does not make any sense, but as far as i understand it if you do this then 3 of your Dimms will work as triple channel and the other will be used as single channel if the other three are full - but this may depend on your board/processor, in some cases it may stop the triple channel feature from being used at all.

Sushi
    The above is absolute rubbish, just sales spiel to try to get you to buy it, They use the same interface then the access times are the same, you would do better to look at some of the benchmarking comparisons than the retailers sales pitch. The only way you will get that kind of performance is to use PCI-e slot drives like the revodrive.
    Inidentally i bought a 30GB SSD some time ago and never used it as it was actually much slower than my Hitachi Ultrastar drives, combined with the fact that data is impossible to recover from it. I have read many people say that they fitted an SSD and their system was faster booting, and i wonder if this is because they just did a clean install of Windows rather than the fact the drive is faster, I am almost certain it will be.

Hammerhead Shark
    I like where I am now at 16GB. With my old system I ran 8GB of RAM and I definitely notice an improvement in performance since I did the upgrade to 16GB. If I was using Win 7 ultimate I might get another 16GB and max out my mobo. And with the locks removed, where my games use more than the defaulted 1.5GB of RAM it's pretty nice. Less lag. But I can't imagine having 64GB of RAM. Then again I never thought I'd feel a difference in performace going from 8 to 16GB of RAM.

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by kujoe2002 View Post
    I like where I am now at 16GB. With my old system I ran 8GB of RAM and I definitely notice an improvement in performance since I did the upgrade to 16GB. If I was using Win 7 ultimate I might get another 16GB and max out my mobo. And with the locks removed, where my games use more than the defaulted 1.5GB of RAM it's pretty nice. Less lag. But I can't imagine having 64GB of RAM. Then again I never thought I'd feel a difference in performace going from 8 to 16GB of RAM.
    Actually you CAN use the extra unused RAM even 64G .. how ? easy , have you seen the msata in mobos that is used to cache the harddisks ?

The same software that caches the harddisk can choose any RAM disk you make ... so you can make like 16G or 24G or 32G RAM disk , and use that drive for harddisk caching .. will work also with SSD , in 64G machines , it is Quad channel memory .. this is 51.2 GB/s read-Write speed ... and CRAZY IOPs .. no SSD can come near that

I use 32GB in my work system. It really helps out with having many VMs running.

RAM Is so cheap now-a-days I got 12 gigs in my home system.
    Rigs
    Custom Built: Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 Ghz, 5870 GPU, 12 GIG Ram,3x1.5 TBs,1x500 GB, 250 GB SSD Logitech G51 surrond sound 27 inch monitor FUll Tower Cooler Master Case
    Laptop: M17X 2.83Ghz Dual Core, 4870 GPU, 4 GIG Ram, 320 GIG, 500 GIG HDD
    Get around Lappy: ASUS Aspire One: 1.6 GHz, IGP, 1 GIG ram, 160 GIG HDD