Mass Effect 2

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 2

So no need to worry about spoliers considering I'm only 6 hours in the game.

Let me just start off with saying if you remotely enjoyed the first Mass Effect you'll adore the second one.

For once the devs have listened to the community, all the gripes and compliants I had about the first one (which was epic anyways) have been resolved. The combat system is, well awesome.

The controls have been redefined, they seem more natural.

The missions, well remember the days of fight from point A to Point B? yea well in this game it's Fight from point A to A.1 A.2 A.3 optionary A.4 A.5 and A.6 to make game easier, accomplish objective at B, and move on.

One of the first missions I did I actually teamed up with another team. Which impressed me. I was talking and I relieased that they were going to help me out, and I would get to see it happen which I of course did and it was amazing.

Seriously buy Mass Effct 2, it's worth it.

Bioware congrats.
    Rigs
    Custom Built: Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 Ghz, 5870 GPU, 12 GIG Ram,3x1.5 TBs,1x500 GB, 250 GB SSD Logitech G51 surrond sound 27 inch monitor FUll Tower Cooler Master Case
    Laptop: M17X 2.83Ghz Dual Core, 4870 GPU, 4 GIG Ram, 320 GIG, 500 GIG HDD
    Get around Lappy: ASUS Aspire One: 1.6 GHz, IGP, 1 GIG ram, 160 GIG HDD

Just finished it. Was a fun game overall, but since the universe isn't new to me anymore I didn't get the same effect I did from Mass Effect 1. Ending wasn't quite as intense as the first one either, but still fun.

I'm also happy with the new control scheme/combat/ui whatever you wanna call it. It does feel a lot more natural.
    Not sure if I like the limited armor options, but I guess it was annoying having a shitload of unusable armor to some in the community.
    Really glad they got rid of the moonrover (or whatever it was called) missions. They were so repetitive and annoying.
    Last edited by LiquidCrash; 01-27-2010 at 05:59 PM.
    New Build (Oct. 2012)
    -[ ASUS P8Z77-V |:| Intel Core i5-3550 |:| 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LP |:| EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB |:| Samsung 830 256GB |:| Windows 7 ]-
    Currently Playing
    -[ Sleeping Dogs |:| Guild Wars 2 |:| Torchlight 2 ]-

I was thinking the ending wasn't going be like the ME1, haven't finished it. But you gotta remember they are leading us into ME3.

How many hours did it take you?
    Rigs
    Custom Built: Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 Ghz, 5870 GPU, 12 GIG Ram,3x1.5 TBs,1x500 GB, 250 GB SSD Logitech G51 surrond sound 27 inch monitor FUll Tower Cooler Master Case

Total recorded time was about 39 hours but about 9 of that was spent leaving it on in the background while AFK. So probably around 30.
    Last edited by LiquidCrash; 01-27-2010 at 06:18 PM.
    New Build (Oct. 2012)
    -[ ASUS P8Z77-V |:| Intel Core i5-3550 |:| 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LP |:| EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB |:| Samsung 830 256GB |:| Windows 7 ]-
    Currently Playing

I played a little bit and so far it is a million times better than Mass Effect 1.

Side note, I do not like Mass Effect 1.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie View Post
    I played a little bit and so far it is a million times better than Mass Effect 1.

Side note, I do not like Mass Effect 1.
    have you tried playing ME1 on the PC? I find it more enjoyable then the 360 copy.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Hammerhead Shark
    Combat is so much fun. Swapped from Adept to Vanguard with my character import and have no regrets.
    Current Rig: Q6600 @2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9700 | 6 GB Corsair XM2 DDR2 RAM @ 736 MHz | 2 x 150 GB Raptors Raid 0 | Asus Dark Knight 4870 512 MB | Gigabyte EP45-U3DL Motherboard | ASUS VW266H Panel | Lian Li PC-V1200Bplus

XBL Gamertag: Recursivity
    http://xclite.net

Now Playing: Left4Dead, Team Fortress 2, Killing Floor, Dawn of War 2

do the scars go away? or are they there because i'm renegade and it makes me look more evil?
    Batou's evil twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Citizen View Post
    im a homosexual but i disliike obama for his non-*** policies
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I'm happy for you. Why don't you go pick up a case of AIDS.

I think they stay the same or may become even more prominent the further you go into renegade. Not 100% sure on that, but the further I went into Paragon the more the scars disappeared... so I figured the opposite would be true for Renegade.
    New Build (Oct. 2012)
    Currently Playing

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidCrash View Post
    I think they stay the same or may become even more prominent the further you go into renegade. Not 100% sure on that, but the further I went into Paragon the more the scars disappeared... so I figured the opposite would be true for Renegade.
    Sounds like something Peter Molyneux would come up with.

I think that the first game, despite it's glitches, is better. They basically took the RPG out of the game to make it more accessible. You can play through the whole thing without upgrading your armor or weapons once, I have no doubt of this.

The things I like better about ME1

-Different armor, weapons, ect. actually meant something.
    -More complex cover system
    -More difficult
    -Individual missions didn't feel like they were on rails
    -Grenades
    -No Halo/Call of Duty health system
    -Probably six kinds of ammunition (Disruptor, AP, Incendiary, Radioactive, Cryo, Hammerhead)
    -Mako (XB360 players probably don't miss it though, the console controls were aweful)

No doubt Mass Effect 2 has improved graphics, but that's about all that has gotten better in the sequel. That and the labeling of the galactic map with your objectives is nice. But on a whole, the game is dumbed down big time. It's still very good, and definitely the best new game I've played in a year, but it's not as good as Mass Effect was.
    Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (Tuniq Tower 120) - DFI Lanparty LT P35-T2R - 8GB Corsair DDR2-800 - eVGA GTX 275 SC - SoundBlaster X-Fi - Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB - Seagate 7200.10 750GB (2) - Western Digital 1.5TB Green (2) - Western Digital 2TB Green - WINDy-Soldam MT-Pro 1700 - Antec Signature 850W- HP LP2475W (H-IPS) - Samsung 204B (TN) - Alienware Ozma 7 Headphones - Windows 7 Ultimate

Just finished it in 24 hours of game play, I did not complete it 100% I am going back and finishing up all the side quests I got excited towards the end and rushed towards the Reapers which BTW is one of the best battle missions I've ever played hands down.

SPOILER ALERT

Use Botics as your team mates if your not one.
    Rigs

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie View Post
    Sounds like something Peter Molyneux would come up with.
    Haha yeah, I was thinking of Fable when I typed that.
    New Build (Oct. 2012)
    Currently Playing

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    I wouldn't say it was dumbed down, but "streamlined." Instead of having many points per level to increase skills marginally better, we get a tiered system that gives your character major upgrades. I'm happy with the armor system since I can customize the armor the way I want it to look and then boost the stats. It is a nice aside from the "phat lewtz" games.

The team AI is 10x better in this game and can actually do damage. They flank, draw fire, retreat, etc without having to micromanage. Jack was kind of an idiot though when it comes to AI.

I'm amazed at how many different dialog paths they had to include for all the decisions of the last game. So much there.

I find this one more enjoyable and a better overall game. I don't know if I like the story arc so far with the "Illusive Man." It feels like something my paragon Shepard would not participate in. Perhaps I have the chance to dump them later on.
    Last edited by Timman_24; 02-05-2010 at 02:46 PM.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Oh and the Club Afterlife's music is friggin sweet. Such a cool vibe in there. I love Omega. I downloaded the eletronica and have been listening to it
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead