iPhone vs. Android - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPhone vs. Android

Great White Shark
    I have no information about Verizon or Sprint offerings.
    T-Mobile will have it on 21 July. Preordering started 1 July.

I'm getting an iPhone 4 in a few weeks, whenever it shows up in Canada. There's no smartphone OS that's anywhere near as polished as iOS. Android has a long ways to go. Blackberry is just... mediocre.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDigital View Post
    I'm getting an iPhone 4 in a few weeks, whenever it shows up in Canada. There's no smartphone OS that's anywhere near as polished as iOS. Android has a long ways to go. Blackberry is just... mediocre.
    Do you have an iPhone?

Talk to me again in a month when the novelty wears off and you realize that you have to carry around an iPod cable with you so that you can charger your phone at work, in the car, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    Do you have an iPhone?

Talk to me again in a month when the novelty wears off and you realize that you have to carry around an iPod cable with you so that you can charger your phone at work, in the car, etc..
    I have an iPhone 3GS. I have no problems with it. The iPhone 4 is praised for its battery life. I think I'll be alright.

Besides, I'm a student. I'm either at school or home, and I'm already carrying a laptop with me anyways. Who cares if I have to throw a cable into the bag? And how hard is it to find someone with an iPhone/iPod cable at a university of all places? It's like being worried that you left home without a condom on your way to a frat party.

I'd rather have to charge the battery regularly and get a good, polished, stable OS than have to deal with crashing apps and a flaky UI. It's like complaining about the poor gas mileage of a supercar.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

I love my Iphone 3GS, but am trying to get my wife to consider and HTC Aria, she is not a fan of touch screen however, so its probably going to be a blackberry for her. I played with the Aria today at the AT&T store and liked it very much, but find the IPhone to be much more user friendly for noobs than the android interface.
    My Computer: Lian Li PK7,Q9650@3.8ghz(9x422) Asus P5Q Pro,4GB pc1066 OCZ Reaper, x2 WD SATA 640GB,WD 750gb Black, XFX 5850, Corsair TX750 PS,AC97 Sound,Samsung SATA DVD-RW
    Marshall University, Xbox Live: TWolf79, PSN: DH779,XFire:tituswolf, Steam ID:hd779
    Games I'm playing:COD:WAW(PC),TF2(PC)
    Sharky Extreme 3DMark Team

Quote Originally Posted by MrDigital View Post
    I'd rather have to charge the battery regularly and get a good, polished, stable OS than have to deal with crashing apps and a flaky UI. It's like complaining about the poor gas mileage of a supercar.
    It's exactly like that. Which is why only douches drive supercars to work.

Until the iPhone came along battery life was measured in days. Now it's measured in hours. Sorry, that sucks. Battery life on the MacBook is amazing. Battery life on the iPhone is abysmal. That's why everyone turns the brightness way down to save battery life. Honestly, what's the point.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    I'll probably go Android eventually. It's coming together nicely. Battery life isn't that great on current handsets though, and I'm not sure I can go back to not having a unified inbox.

What I like about the BlackBerry is that I can get email (from three accounts), SMS, MMS, BBM, DMs from Facebook, DMs from Twitter, and Google Talk all in one inbox, or in separate inboxes. I can view things however I want. I can also assign all these identities to individual contacts. So when I get an SMS from a friend, it pulls their current Facebook picture... and if I want to respond with an email instead of an SMS it's only one extra click.

I think Android will probably get there pretty soon. I already like the way it integrates with Google Voice (which is a little wonky on the BlackBerry).

Everyone talks about BlackBerry as being obsolete by the iPhone and Android handsets... but honestly I don't know what they are talking about. Video conferencing on the new iPhone is cool as all hell, but as long as the battery only lasts a few hours it's still just a toy to me. A fun toy, no doubt, but not one that I'm going to make my primary phone and pay $100+/mo for.
    Palm handles contacts pretty much the same way you described. A single profile can be linked to multiple communications platforms giving the user the option to select how they want to reply. The unit can even monitor which comm path is active and select the best reply method for you.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    Palm handles contacts pretty much the same way you described. A single profile can be linked to multiple communications platforms giving the user the option to select how they want to reply. The unit can even monitor which comm path is active and select the best reply method for you.
    Aye, the Synergy feature. Looked pretty good, but I haven't tried it.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Aye, the Synergy feature. Looked pretty good, but I haven't tried it.
    I would love to see it applied to the Android.

Personally, I thought Palm OS was very nice, but the lack of 3rd party apps and the so-so hardware selection makes it a no go for me.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I was seriously looking at the Droid X today and it was too freakin' big. I understand the benefits of a larger screen, but it goes to far. I'll probably be getting the Droid 2. I'm hoping the specs are a little better than the rumored ones.
    Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (Tuniq Tower 120) - DFI Lanparty LT P35-T2R - 8GB Corsair DDR2-800 - eVGA GTX 275 SC - SoundBlaster X-Fi - Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB - Seagate 7200.10 750GB (2) - Western Digital 1.5TB Green (2) - Western Digital 2TB Green - WINDy-Soldam MT-Pro 1700 - Antec Signature 850W- HP LP2475W (H-IPS) - Samsung 204B (TN) - Alienware Ozma 7 Headphones - Windows 7 Ultimate

Great White Shark
    Last edited by ua549; 07-14-2010 at 07:18 AM.

Android hands down. Android is an open source OS with virtually unlimited development. iPhone is typical Apple closed development and locked hardware. Apple is the North Korea of the computing world, and the iPhone, while a good device, is locked in chains behind barbed wire.
    RIG:
    XCLIO 2000 Black & Titanium Case
    KingWin Gold Certified 80+ 1000 Watt PS
    Asus P8Z77-V Premium Motherboard
    Intel Core I7 3770K @ 5.0 gHz
    Corsair CWCH70 Hydro Series H80 CPU Liquid Cooler
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    PowerColor Radeon 7990 6GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    1TB WD Black Edition SATA 3 + 3TB Seagate SATA 3
    Panasonic DVD
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit

FWIW:
    The iPhone is also the gift that keeps on giving: 77% of iPhone owners say they'll buy another iPhone, compared to 20% of Android customers who say they'll buy another Android phone.
    http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/23/tech...n=money_latest

Not really the most promising of stats for Google.

Sorry, not so fast. Android development is locked down for obvious reasons. No one outside of Google contributes to new releases. Actual app development on both environments is pretty common, so that's not an issue in either area.

On the other hand, I'm guessing a lot of those people who wouldn't buy an Android phone again probably got earlier versions on substandard devices. If you looked at the stats for people owning a Droid/Milestone, they may be quite different. I'm guessing this will apply to the Incredible, Droid X, Galaxy, and Droid 2 as well.

The biggest problem I have with Android is that carriers feel the need to include craplets. Since these apps of dubious value are installed on the same partition as the operating system, a partition that is write protected, you cannot uninstall them without rooting the phone and likely voiding your warranty. You can spout crap about Apple being North Korea, but they wouldn't allow this kind of ****.
    Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (Tuniq Tower 120) - DFI Lanparty LT P35-T2R - 8GB Corsair DDR2-800 - eVGA GTX 275 SC - SoundBlaster X-Fi - Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB - Seagate 7200.10 750GB (2) - Western Digital 1.5TB Green (2) - Western Digital 2TB Green - WINDy-Soldam MT-Pro 1700 - Antec Signature 850W- HP LP2475W (H-IPS) - Samsung 204B (TN) - Alienware Ozma 7 Headphones - Windows 7 Ultimate