Just built my computer, no post, blank screen, any ideas?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Just built my computer, no post, blank screen, any ideas?

Expensive Sushi

Just built my computer, no post, blank screen, any ideas?

Hi everyone. I just built a new desktop. I'm pretty sure I've setup everything correctly. I press the power button, power lights turn on, all the fans turn on, optical drives open and close, but I'm getting no post, no beeps, and there are several led lights lit up on the motherboard. The lights are solid, and don't flash at all or change color. I've checked several times that the ram sticks are in the right slots, and I've also tried each stick on its own. No difference. Not sure what the problem is. Any ideas? Here's the hardware I'm working with:

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ (9-9-9-24)

SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

The PSU is an Antec Truepower 650W from my last tower. It was working fine as far as I know.

Edit:
    Gigabyte's website says my motherboard is compatible with:
    1. 6 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 24 GB of system memory(Note 1)
    2. Dual/3 channel memory architecture
    3. Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
    4. Support for non-ECC memory modules
    5. Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

The RAM I purchased is DDR3 1600. Could that be my problem?
    Last edited by Netti; 09-17-2010 at 11:39 PM.

It could be. Some motherboards will only allow the specified speeds of RAM and wont allow any others at all ....

Try taking them all out, you should get beeps ..... If you do, try one stick of specified memory before you return all your sticks ....

If you still dont, the problem could be the CPU power since the cpu initialisation is performed before the RAM check ....

On some boards including yours, instead of having a 4 pin jack near the processor for 12v power, you have an 8 pin jack. Some 8 pin jacks need one 4 pin plug plugged in commonly on the right hand side, some need 2 x 4 pin plugs plugged in, it all depends on what processor you are using .. Sometimes the manuals really arent helpful here and finding the correct configuration is down to experimenting .....
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

Expensive Sushi
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I tried removing all the ram sticks, and using a 4pin atx connector to the 12v (as well as the 2x4pin connector) but still no beeps. Same lights on the motherboard are lit. Bad motherboard? Cpu? Or both?

Mako Shark
    I would take it out of the case and set it up on a piece of thick cardboard on my desk, which is how I usually do new builds -- insures no motherboard short and also easy to get at stuff to check/change it. To start it simply short the two pins for a second or two that are labeled power with a small conductive tool. And no refreshments on or near the desk!

Edit: Oh, and do you have the extra power connector to the graphics card, also check the card is seated well?
    Last edited by RealBeast; 09-18-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: add a line

Mako Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Netti View Post
    . . . . The RAM I purchased is DDR3 1600. Could that be my problem?
    Probably not, many reviewers used DDR3 1600 with that mobo and none reported any issues.

One other random thought, you may want to clear the bios - remove bios battery, disconnect power and move jumper to clear for a brief time.

Expensive Sushi
    Ok cool, I'll give that a try after lunch. Just to clarify, what jumper are you referring to?

Mako Shark
    Ok cool, I'll give that a try after lunch. Just to clarify, what jumper are you referring to?
    It is usually next to the bios battery and is labeled CLR CMOS in white letters on the board next to the jumper.

Expensive Sushi
    Ok thanks! I'll take a look for that. I do remember on the back of the motherboard there is a button surrounded by a blue led that says clr cmos. Same thing?

Usually that is a jumper, unplug the power cord and touch and connect the two metal pins with a screwdriver. Hold for a few secs and done.

Disregard, just looked up your motherboard, it looks like it is next to the USB ports. Have not seen that before.

Carefull when you have it up and running not to accidently press that button.
    Last edited by Learux; 09-18-2010 at 12:39 PM.
    GA-MA790GPT-UD3H, AMD Phenom ll 955,
    Lian Li PC-60 PLUS, HD5850
    ----------------
    Resist the devil, and he will flee from you!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!

2kr1b1r/Bpp3pp/1N2p1n1/4p1q1/4P3/2Q5/PPP2PPP/3R1RK1 b - - 6 15

Mako Shark
    Ok thanks! I'll take a look for that. I do remember on the back of the motherboard there is a button surrounded by a blue led that says clr cmos. Same thing?
    That "button" is probably the bios battery -- it just pops out, and make sure to put it back in the same way when you are done clearing. (It will have CR2032 label on the battery, that is pretty universal size for the last many years.)

Turn off and unplug power before doing the next steps.

For the jumper pins, you don't really need to put on an actual jumper, just short the two pins briefly with a conductive tool -- metal screwdriver, or whatever. If you use a jumper, make sure to remove it after a moment and before reassembly.

Expensive Sushi
    Update: Hey guys, I took the motherboard out of the case and rebuild from scratch. I don't know what did it but this time I got beeps, different LED lights, and was able to get into BIOS! Will continue testing with other RAM but at least I know its working! Thanks again for the help! I'll let you know how it goes.

Good for you, probably a cable not plugged in right.

I always feel like a hero when my next build boots up. I know there is nothikng to it but it always feels good.
    GA-MA790GPT-UD3H, AMD Phenom ll 955,
    Lian Li PC-60 PLUS, HD5850
    ----------------
    Resist the devil, and he will flee from you!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!

2kr1b1r/Bpp3pp/1N2p1n1/4p1q1/4P3/2Q5/PPP2PPP/3R1RK1 b - - 6 15