Minecraft, awesome one man game project - Page 19

Sharky Forums

Page 19 of 129 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Minecraft, awesome one man game project

Got disconnected for some reason a minute ago, and figured it's time for sleep so I didn't get back on.

Made a deep *** staircase with a branch mine at the bottom; was started before Taggart's plan was in place, so I went ahead and finished it up. If anybody heads down there, follow the basic layout; each new tunnel has three blocks in between it. It's the best way to find ore, already got 8 diamonds amongst a lot of iron, gold, and coal. The odds of something showing up only in that middle row are pretty small, so the spacing of three lets you grab basically everything down there.

Also started a little farm in the pond, though I've never farmed before.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Why. why why why did I have to give this game a try. I don't know why but its a frikkin blast! Might buy it if you guys are all still playing.
    Currently playing: Destiny. NHL 15. (ONE) Stronghold Crusader 2. KF2 (PC).
    Gamer Tag: MajorPayne189 Steam ID: MajorPayne
    I7 930, Gigabyte x58a, 6 GB DDR3, 1 TB Black, Radeon 5850, Corsair 750W, Win 7 x64

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    So ultra hole is a go....got the first 5 levels dug. My next goal is to cover the top in glass.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespy View Post
    Might buy it if you guys are all still playing.
    Lucky for you we just started multiplayer tonight.

For Taggart:

For Monroeski (I covered the top of your mine):

OH my gosh this game is way too addicting
    I7 930, Gigabyte x58a, 6 GB DDR3, 1 TB Black, Radeon 5850, Corsair 750W, Win 7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    So ultra hole is a go....got the first 5 levels dug. My next goal is to cover the top in glass.
    I'm building the opposite I wanna see how high I can go

Great White Shark
    Grrr...

Didn't get a chance to login except for last night to turn monsters off. (I had thought that they had been updated to act like single player, when it turned out not to be true, I had to restart the server, sorry linoleum.)

Now this morning Minecraft.net is down again, so no connection.

I'm glad a few of you got in though. How was the server? insanely overloaded? or was it OK? It's been a long time since I've had anything on that thing. lol

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

I logged in from work and made a really tall random bunch of dirt stacks Only had a few minutes but couldn't get in again last night. It was weird playing with monsters that can't harm you. That's a first
    ...WAIT FOR IT

Great White Shark
    Yeah, I turned them off when I got home, thus kicking linoleum offline for a moment.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Hammerhead Shark innocentbastard's Avatar
    The server seemed to run fine with 4 of us. I know one person had an issues with getting booted sometimes. I believe it was due to blocks not disappearing after mining them. I know occasionally when I mined they seemed to not disappear occasionally either, but then the server would catch up so things like sandstone didn't really fall. It just reappeared in the space you cleared with an empty space at the top now.
    Currently Playing:
    PC: BFBC2, MOH, COD: Black Ops
    360: nothing

BFBC2=Brennok
    Steam=Brennok
    Xbox 360=Nobrumski
    Gamespy=Nobrumski

I had a lot of disconnects at first which apparently is due to my Atheros network card (based on an 8 page forum thread on minecraftforum). They provided a fix which helped a lot although didn't solve it completely.

Basically, I could be mining along and then suddenly blocks would start reappearing where I had just mined, then a few seconds later the whole game would crash (so I always knew when it was about to happen). After the fix, occasionally it would "lag" (I wouldn't see blocks dropping, for example) but if I waited a few seconds it would catch up all at once, or one or two times it still crashed.

Aside from that, there were a few spots of lag but I think they were minecraft related not server related. For example, when you mine a gravel block from the bottom of a stack and the rest drop down, there is a noticeable slowness as they drop.

I guess I got in after the foe-change, because I never saw any.

Oh and I just realized...Adisharr when you say "dirt stacks"...you really mean "super tall dirt stacks covered in torches" don't you? That "structure" became our meeting place, but we never knew who built it.

Snakespy and I played some last night at the same time. I didn't get any lag, but like the others I did occasionally run into blocks I couldn't mine.

My IGN is ImpulseX, and if you see a huge dirt "R", that's how I marked the stairway down that I started
    <!-- caffeine break. -->

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Monroeski has optimized the mining trade. He should post his guidelines to help others out.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeV0XB-w_yM
    One of the greatest videos I've seen for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    Monroeski has optimized the mining trade. He should post his guidelines to help others out.
    I got most of the idea from elsewhere, actually. Just youtube "branch mining" and one of the first videos to pop up will basically show you everything you need to know.

Basically, you go all the way down until you're standing on the top layer of bedrock (which appears only in the bottom 5 levels of the map IIRC). Then you make one long central tunnel and build branches off of it with 3 blocks in between each branch, like so -

X = tunnel
    o = untouched stone

ooooooXXoooooo
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    ooooooXXoooooo
    ooooooXXoooooo
    ooooooXXoooooo
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    ooooooXXoooooo
    ooooooXXoooooo
    ooooooXXoooooo
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX

You're basically banking on the very low odds that anything valuable would show up in that middle row of untouched stone without the cluster also having a piece in the other two parts that you CAN see.

I made some pretty long side tunnels yesterday, but Diamonds appear up to 8 or 10 levels above the bedrock IIRC, so we could actually add another floor if we wanted to; with the bottom floor at 2 height plus a ceiling, the second floor would still be digging between 5-6 levels above the bedrock which would be well within the range of diamond generation.

Also, this way helps generate a lot of stone VERY quickly, which I will be needing for my personal spawn point monument.
    Last edited by monroeski; 10-21-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker