HTPC/Network tweaking

Sharky Forums

Thread: HTPC/Network tweaking

HTPC/Network tweaking

I'm trying to build a home theater on a budget to take to school with me. My system has a gforce 9600gt 512mb, and a AMD 4000+ X2, 2 gigs of DDR2. I have a 32" 720p tv so nothing huge.

Is this enough to run my HD content?

I've noticed that on my network to transfer a 4gig movie from macbook to the HTPC over the server takes about 40 minutes. I think that is pretty slow, but is it? I want to be able to stream those large files from my htpc to my macbook, but right now it's a little choppy. Is this because of the macbook, htpc, slow netowork, or a combination of all 3?

On my network I'm using cat5, the hard drive in the htpc is a 250gig IDE with a western digital my book 500 gig on there too. I may need to make a few upgrades to the system. What could I do to make these things work?

Thanks!
    / __| ||...|| |.\ \ ||./ __|
    \__ \ ||__|| | |\ \ | \__ \
    \___/ \___/ | | .\_| \___/
    ------------------------------------------

Heatware
    Ebay

Great White Shark
    Hmm. 4096MB/2400sec. = 1.70MB/s Definitely slow. You're not imagining things.

1. I would guess you might have disk contention issues on the macbook. Is it a 5400rpm drive, or a 7200rpm drive in there? If it's new and an SSD, obviously it won't be the bottleneck.

2. Do you have a switch that supports jumbo frames? For large sequential block transfers, that can help immensely.

3. What OS on both systems? Snow Leopard/Win 7? Or older variants?

Even with crap Realtek/Marvel, etc. NIC's on the motherboard, SMB vs. SMB2 transfer protocols, etc. you should be able to average 30MB/s over GigE.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

1. The macbook drive is 5400 RMP. The PC drive is 7200 RPM.
    2. I'm running it on a switch I got maybe 5 years ago. Not sure if it's gigabit or not quite honestly, but I tried running it through my router which does have the gigabit switch and the results were only slightly better, but still horrible.
    3. Slow Leopard on the mac and XP on the PC.
    / __| ||...|| |.\ \ ||./ __|
    \__ \ ||__|| | |\ \ | \__ \
    \___/ \___/ | | .\_| \___/
    ------------------------------------------

Heatware
    Ebay