Good email program

Sharky Forums

Thread: Good email program

Mako Shark

Good email program

I just changed phone/internet provider and cannot get Outlook Express to work. What is a good alternative? Something none MS would be good. How is Thunderbird?

Why not fix the issue with OE if you've been using it and like it? Odds are, whatever you did wrong with the OE setup, you'll repeat in any other app.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Great White Shark
    If it doesn't work with a new provider, you've not configured the account correctly.

For a pop3 type account you need:
    • the name and port number of the incoming pop3 server
    • the name and port number of the outgoing SMTP server
    • user ID for both incoming and outgoing servers (usually the same)
    • password for both incoming and outgoing servers (usually the same)

Great White Shark
    I personally love Thunderbird, but that's because I use it across multiple platforms. I also like Enigmail, which so far has been the most painless pgp/gpg solution I have ever seen for an email client.

That being said, It's calendar plugin "Lightning" is abysmal, and should be avoided. But if you just want pure email, with extremely simple no-brainer encryption options, Thunderbird + engimail gets my vote.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Mako Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    If it doesn't work with a new provider, you've not configured the account correctly.

For a pop3 type account you need:
    • the name and port number of the incoming pop3 server
    • the name and port number of the outgoing SMTP server
    • user ID for both incoming and outgoing servers (usually the same)
    • password for both incoming and outgoing servers (usually the same)
    I have tried to configure the new email several times. I have been on the phone with the IP. I keep getting an error message that the user name/password is not being recognized by their server. I wanted to try another email program just to make sure it isn't something with Outlook Express. I get the same message with Thunderbird. I am guessing the problem is on their server so I am going to have them make a completely new email account and try that.

Computer's software Firewall might block the ports needed to be open for the New provider.

Last edited by cat5e; 11-23-2011 at 05:14 PM.

CAT5e
    Microsoft, MVP - Networking

Or not checking or needing to uncheck the Log on using Secure Password Authentication type options.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Catfish
    Definitely check out Thunderbird, I recommend it, and you can back up all your stuff for free using Mozbackup, and restore backed up files anytime, you can also use Mozbackup with Firefox. Outlook basically went from that to Windows Live Mail to Windows Mail or something, and the GUI changes everytime. I know a couple of people that only use Outlook for XP even though they have newer computers, everything has just changed so much in microsoft's email programs, it'll never be the same for the people that became so used to their first outlook express program.

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoom View Post
    I have tried to configure the new email several times. I have been on the phone with the IP. I keep getting an error message that the user name/password is not being recognized by their server. I wanted to try another email program just to make sure it isn't something with Outlook Express. I get the same message with Thunderbird. I am guessing the problem is on their server so I am going to have them make a completely new email account and try that.
    Have the ISP verify your username and password. If they have a web based email interface, most do, make sure that you can log in using it.