Guild Wars 2 in 2012 - Page 3

Sharky Forums

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2 in 2012

I was half interested, but will be waiting for this one. I find it difficult to force myself into an MMO these days...
    Current Computer (always a work in progress):
    Cooler Master HAF 922 Case / Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt / i5-2500K / GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 /PNY XLR8 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 / eVGA GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked 1024 MB / ARCTIC COOLING ACALP11-GT-R2 / Frozen CPU Prolimatech PK-1 Nano Aluminum Thermal Compound / Crucial 128 GB m4 SSD / 1 TB Seagate / 1 TB WD Blue / Samsung SyncMaster 2494 LCD / Samsung SyncMaster 204b LCD

Website for Dad:
    www.KeepTheSpiritKilleen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    I've heard of some pretty shady stuff that arena net is doing to customers.

1.) They perma banned over 4000 people for purchasing a weapon at a vendor that was mispriced.
    2.) They perma banned people for buying cooking supplies with karma, crafting some food, and then selling it for gold.
    3.) They will not refund any transactions that were messed up due to server lag. Numerous people have had real money charged to their credit card but the system did not give them their virtual item. It says in the EULA that ArenaNet is not responsible for incorrect purchases due to lag, and they are waving that line in everyone's face. Some of the complaints I've seen are people buying extra character slots and them not being unlocked. Others are the server crashing as someone makes a purchase and they end up getting 3-4 copies of the item while being charged 3-4 more times.

It gets pretty bad if you start looking around at some of the stories. I understand launch week can be rough, but perma banning new players for running into bugs is ridiculous. Patch up your game, don't ban people.
    This is wrong.

1. The people they banned for doing this purchased over 1000 such items and resold them. They also gave such people the opportunity to reduce this to a 72-hour ban if they agree to remove any gains they acquired by doing this.

2. As with 1 - They only did this to people who clearly exploited the system by buying hundreds and thousands of such items. The opportunity to remove the permaban was extended to these people as well.

3. From what I can see on the Reddit thread, what's happening with the "lag" part of this is that people are clicking Buy multiple times because the item isn't going into their inventory right away, then getting mad when they are actually receiving that item multiple times a few minutes later. Arenanet has stated they would help anyone who is having a problem where a purchase gets charged but you don't receive the item (such as if someone bought a new character slot that didn't unlock), they just need to open a support ticket.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    None of what I said is wrong, it may be outdated. However that was exactly what was going on a few days ago. ArenaNet may have backpedalled since then due to the publicity.

I'm reading some of the threads on various sites where this stuff is coming to light. Hopefully things calm down.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

It wasn't just that they "perma banned over 4000 people for purchasing a weapon," they did this to people who were exploiting the mispriced item by buying massive amounts and reselling for massive profits. That was the main thing I was referring to with my "this is wrong" statement.

I don't understand why they didn't just delete the weapons from the accounts and move on. Blizzard has had to do this before with reward vendors. I don't remember Blizzard ever banning people for vendor errors.

I don't understand why they didn't just delete the weapons from the accounts and move on. Blizzard has had to do this before with reward vendors. I don't remember Blizzard ever banning people for vendor errors.
    when you say "vendor errors" you mean ppl exploiting game bugs. I wish Bliz took a harder stand on exploiters and perma banned
    them on first offense. MMOs are full of cheats and hacks (refering to ppl), they ruin the game experience for other ppl (most
    often complaints come from PVP).
    It's like Kama said, these ppl didn't just happen to acquire a couple items, they exploited their way to massive amounts and then
    whined when they were caught and punished.
    A64 3700+ (San Diego)
    ABIT KN8 SLI
    2x512MB PC 3200 DDR
    BFG GTS 250 1 GB
    SB Audigy
    250gig Maxtor Maxline Plus II SATA HD
    Viewsonic VA1912wb

Quote Originally Posted by Skywize View Post
    when you say "vendor errors" you mean ppl exploiting game bugs. I wish Bliz took a harder stand on exploiters and perma banned
    them on first offense. MMOs are full of cheats and hacks (refering to ppl), they ruin the game experience for other ppl (most
    often complaints come from PVP).
    It's like Kama said, these ppl didn't just happen to acquire a couple items, they exploited their way to massive amounts and then
    whined when they were caught and punished.
    If it is true that they only banned people that purchased 1000's of weapons, then I can understand a ban. I think a 72 hour ban is more appropriate this close to release (the same they are giving botters, which IMO should have a full perm ban for hacking game memory.) I think the misprice was 21 karma, is 21K karma a lot? Is that even possible? I don't know. I'd like to play, but there are no digital downloads left and my local store doesn't have any more physical copies.

Also, I've been doing some reading about the game (I never followed it during development.) I'm reading that the progression at end game is horizontal instead of having to constantly get new stat gear every few months to stay competitive. Instead, I would work towards cosmetic upgrades instead of stat based upgrades. This sound pretty neat, so that my character stays usable even if I don't keep up with the loot treadmill. Do you guys see this as being the case for the game? Does it live up to this mentality or is it like WoW?

If it is true that they only banned people that purchased 1000's of weapons, then I can understand a ban. I think a 72 hour ban is more appropriate this close to release (the same they are giving botters, which IMO should have a full perm ban for hacking game memory.) I think the misprice was 21 karma, is 21K karma a lot? Is that even possible? I don't know. I'd like to play, but there are no digital downloads left and my local store doesn't have any more physical copies.
    The misprice was indeed 21 karma. 21,000 karma is a lot. At level 45 I've got about 10k and I have been using some Karma here and there.

Also, I've been doing some reading about the game (I never followed it during development.) I'm reading that the progression at end game is horizontal instead of having to constantly get new stat gear every few months to stay competitive. Instead, I would work towards cosmetic upgrades instead of stat based upgrades. This sound pretty neat, so that my character stays usable even if I don't keep up with the loot treadmill. Do you guys see this as being the case for the game? Does it live up to this mentality or is it like WoW?
    Hard to say how PvE will work since I am not at that level yet, but PvP and WvW definitely seem like they'll follow this philosophy and that's also how GW1 worked. Hell, in PvP you don't need to worry about gear at all since you are boosted to max level and given access to anything you could possibly want. From here I believe the "Glory" you earn can be used to unlock visual upgrades. It's all about your build and your skill as a player.

A fake!

Can't even spell it wrong correctly!

Impostor!

btw, I apologize for kinda leaving TopGuys to rot... two separate groups of friends who assured me they'd bring friends into the guild once the game launched bailed on me, leaving Top Guys small and quiet. I've joined up with The Rogue Legion along with my buddies Wobbler and GTDarkling and I encourage any of you guys to come join us.

I haven't been able to play much. I really enjoyed what I played though and plan to play this game for a long time. I love not having to worry about getting my month money's worth.

I haven't been following this as closely as I should be, because I got sick over the last 2 days, but for GW2, there's some new content being released this weekend: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Lost_Shores

...and much more importantly for the people that have no clue (yet) about any of that, this weekend is a free trial weekend, up to 3 guest invites per existing player (I haven't invited anyone yet).

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/f...ovember-15-18/

I'm sure there are enough existing Sharkys with the game to cover anyone that's interested.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Kama sent me an invite so I might try ti jump on this weekend if I can get a break from muddling and taping drywall and moving. What server are people on? I plan to roll an assassin for anyone that wants to start up together.
    Last edited by taggart6; 11-16-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I'm on Blackgate! I sent a trial out to Taggart and Astrosfan as well as my buddy Kevin.

This weekend will actually feature a sidekicking system so that the trial peeps can get in on the level 80 event content that's going on, so as soon as you noobs get comfortable with your class, let's check out this new dungeon.