Intel D845BG doesn't run 2x1G memory

Sharky Forums

Thread: Intel D845BG doesn't run 2x1G memory

Sushi

Intel D845BG doesn't run 2x1G memory

Running an old Intel D845BG, Pentium4 1.8 Ghz, with 2 512Mb memories and XP SP3. System working fine; I'm trying to add more RAM, using 2 new 1GB PC2100 266Mhz, non ECC sticks. The system boots normally and runs for a while, then the screen, cursor and keyboard freeze. Running only one stck at a time it seem stable. Have run Memtest86 with the 2 sticks on, got "Unexpected interrupt halting" after a few mins. OCCT with my old sticks on gives 33-42 C temp. Unable to run it with the new.
    Any help?
    Thanks,
    Andrea

Great White Shark
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-013126.htm

In theory it should run with up to 2GB of RAM, however, there are a few caveats in that compatibility document. Biggest thing I can think of is to double check the voltage requirements on your new DIMMs, and make sure they fall within the guidelines.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-013126.htm

In theory it should run with up to 2GB of RAM, however, there are a few caveats in that compatibility document. Biggest thing I can think of is to double check the voltage requirements on your new DIMMs, and make sure they fall within the guidelines.
    Thanks James,
    I checked that and it seems to be ok. The MBO only accepts 2.5V memories and my new ones, being DDR PC 2100, need just that.

Great White Shark
    Are you running the stock SPD settings on the RAM? Or have you customized the timings (Like CAS, RAS, etc.)?

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Sushi
    Hi James, thanks for following my thread.
    I'm using the stock SPD. Last night I downloaded a cipset update from Intel, although the update specs did not refer to the memories. By the way after that I was able to run the Memtest with both the new memories on. Found 2 errors in test 5, but let it go on until this morning when I found the system frozen at the test 4 of pass 3. Forced restart, run memtest again, the system froze. Run OCCT; temp. was 35 at the beginning and 32 at the end, the frequencies have always been within the limits with a little overclock (+3%) a couple of times and generally down-clock (- .1%). After 45 min. the system froze again. My assumptions are against the memories. I do not have another desktop, so I have to rely on memtest. Going to send the memories back. I'm trying to learn, I'll appreciate any further suggestion.
    Thanks again,