modifications of a laptop pushbutton?

Sharky Forums

Thread: modifications of a laptop pushbutton?

Catfish

modifications of a laptop pushbutton?

Hi guys.

What I'm planning to do is build a digital jukebox. My original build idea was to part out a computer and build the custom juke "case" that mounts and hangs on the wall. However I'm finding that using actual computer components is going to make the size of the unit larger then I wanted. In order to scale down I'm thinking I could use a laptop. I was planning to detach the display and flip it around to show through the front. Then use a touchscreen usb kit to make it a touchscreen. However how hard will it be to modify the laptop mainly the the power button. I'd like to mod the power button with an led push button out the front of the unit. I'm not sure how this will work exactly. I'm guessing I'll need to do some soldering. I guess I'll know more once I get an old laptop and actually look at what I'm dealing with. But I don't want to destroy it before getting it working so looking for something along a "how to". I've never done any modifications like this before!

Thanks in advance!

How about making all things on a touch screen?
    You may use touch monitors for this. Guess that will look very nice.

Great White Shark
    The power button for any system (including a laptop) is just an interrupt switch. two wires run to the button, when you press the button it creates a temporary circuit. That's about it.

The LED is the same thing, two wires.

An LED pushbutton will usually end up being 4 wires, 2 for the button, and 2 for the LED + and - wires.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64