damn hit by virus. WSOCK32.DLL damanged? & Zonealarm preventing net acces how to fix.

Sharky Forums

Thread: damn hit by virus. WSOCK32.DLL damanged? & Zonealarm preventing net acces how to fix.

damn hit by virus. WSOCK32.DLL damanged? & Zonealarm preventing net acces how to fix.

ok i got hit by some drive by virus from accidently clicking on some site

long story short my Avast AV caught it before it did any lastin damange. I cleared the files but see some residual effects
    as far as I know. I ran Malwarebytes antimalware and avast and my C: is clean.

but i still have a few residual effects.
    1) when I start Win7 my desktop icons are big and is like that everythime I restart
    2) When I have Zonealarm loaded I can't get interenet access
    3) I tried uninstalling and installing I get the no internet access again. (using full installer)
    4) if I try the "online installer" downloaded from the zonealarm website I keep getting a WSOCK32.DLL error.

anyone know whats going on? I can't seem to google my issues.
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

Hammerhead Shark
    just saw this.

I didn't realize Zonealarm came out with 64bit firewall. I'm assuming you only have the firewall and not their A/V stuff right? This is what I would do:

Run housecall from trendmicro.com and complete a full scan.
    Download CC cleaner.
    Uninstall zonealarm and delete the registry info. When I was able to use zonealarm, it was the best firewall out there. I remember when I did a reformat, I had to reinstall a few times to get the settings right. Make sure all your other firewalls are turned off. You may have Zonealarm, Avast and Windows firewalls running. Having two firewalls, let alone 3 has always stopped all internet access for me.

After you uninstalled zonealarm, run cc cleaner and clear the registry as well.

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p

Hammerhead Shark
    Wow so I downloaded Zonealarm. They now have free antivirus+ firewall. They are my favorite. I'm glad I checked this thread because I stopped using ZA after they no longer supported the free version for win 7 64bit - many years ago.. Now they do. I removed Microsoft Security Essentials, Outpost Firewall and disabled all windows security firewalls. Just installed this sucker. If you are having trouble getting through the ZA firewall, after you install it, you have to go to the "firewall" tab (which is the middle tab) and click on "view programs on the bottom." It gives you a look at every program that is trying to access the firewall. The first thing to remember about this firewall is that it MUST allow FULL ACCESS to "Host Process for Windows Services" in order to get ANY internet access through the firewall. Then it's just a matter of determining which programs you want to allow access to the web. Putting "checks" allow the processes to access the web. It's rather self-explanatory.

10 x64 Home Premium

Quote Originally Posted by rimmerchant View Post
    ok i got hit by some drive by virus from accidently clicking on some site

long story short my Avast AV caught it before it did any lastin damange. I cleared the files but see some residual effects
    as far as I know. I ran Malwarebytes antimalware and avast and my C: is clean.

but i still have a few residual effects.
    1) when I start Win7 my desktop icons are big and is like that everythime I restart
    2) When I have Zonealarm loaded I can't get interenet access
    3) I tried uninstalling and installing I get the no internet access again. (using full installer)
    4) if I try the "online installer" downloaded from the zonealarm website I keep getting a WSOCK32.DLL error.

anyone know whats going on? I can't seem to google my issues.
    Look at the avast log, google the manual removal instructions for the virus, or post and let us know, someone may have been hit by it, removed properly and then looking at places to post the removal guide. Which family and strain is it?

wsock32.dll should be on your windows installation disk, if not you can download it here. You will need to boot from a linux disk, remove any wsock32 you find and replace with the clean one you have, then lock it as read only to stop the virus deleting/overwriting it. I would have a hunch here that you haven't gotten rid of the virus at all and it may be a worm.
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

Oh so that post covered points 2,3,4 by the way, but on point 1: Try searching for all hidden desktop.ini files and delete every last one. Now when you set your icon size, it should stay that way.
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

Hammerhead Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by wh666-666 View Post
    Oh so that post covered points 2,3,4 by the way, but on point 1: Try searching for all hidden desktop.ini files and delete every last one. Now when you set your icon size, it should stay that way.
    other option is to just repair windows then set the desktop icons as "small icons"

10 x64 Home Premium

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    I'd backup and wipe the entire drive. I don't mess around with viruses. This is why I keep my important files on a back upped nas. I only have a c drive and a steam drive on my pc.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    I'd backup and wipe the entire drive. I don't mess around with viruses. This is why I keep my important files on a back upped nas. I only have a c drive and a steam drive on my pc.
    Less hassle free route.

Quote Originally Posted by kujoe2002 View Post
    other option is to just repair windows then set the desktop icons as "small icons"
    Repairing windows won't help if a virus is creating or deleting files like winsock32.dll. I gather rimmer has already tried to set the icon size to no avail. A repair does not clear out desktop.ini files which is needed.

Less hassle free route.

Repairing windows won't help if a virus is creating or deleting files like winsock32.dll. I gather rimmer has already tried to set the icon size to no avail. A repair does not clear out desktop.ini files which is needed.
    Reinstalling windows is usually the fastest for me. By the time I've scoured the net researching for hours and trying numerous fixes, i could have reinstalled in an hour tops. Dump your important files on a USB and reinstall. Partition your hdds correctly next time if you haven't to make a reinstall less painful.

Less hassle free route.

Reinstalling windows is usually the fastest for me. By the time I've scoured the net researching for hours and trying numerous fixes, i could have reinstalled in an hour tops. Dump your important files on a USB and reinstall. Partition your hdds correctly next time if you haven't to make a reinstall less painful.