Any takers on Win 8? - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any takers on Win 8?

So far it's only confirmed free with the downloaded release. I've been looking for more clarification though. I haven't heard of them making any big strides or improvements on Media Center so if they're going to charge for the same software we've had for 5 years they can play in a bucket of dicks.
    my rig

cpu: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5ghz
    mobo: AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    ram: 4x4gig GSkill Ripjaw X ddr3 1866
    cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    mouse: Logitech G500
    video: MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
    hdd(s): Crucial M4 SSD 240 gig (Windows 7)
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (data drive)
    dvd +/- r: Pioneer 111D D/L
    monitor: 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
    psu: PC P&C 610W
    chassis: NZXT Phantom

It looks like there are some cheap deals to buy it initially so I will probably pick up a copy even if I don't use it straight away. The machine I was testing on it died (it finally fell to the curse of the Nvidia 8400m) but I've been meaning to load it on another as I was finding once I got past the initial what the heck is this, there were some good improvements particularly to the performance and some of the shortcuts seemed well thought out for power users. There looks to be a few clever tablet/ultrabook machines with 1080p displays which I may give it a shot although from what I've seen only Sony are keeping VGA and LAN ports.

John

Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, Noctua NH D15 Cromax, Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR 3200Mhz, Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB, 4TB SSD/26TB HDD. Fractal Design R6, Corsair RM850X
    Rocinante - Intel i7 8750H, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, 2.2TB SSD, Alienware M15 R1

Maybe not for desktop but one of those Microsoft surface tablets looks pretty sweet.
    Last edited by Nabby; 10-19-2012 at 04:30 AM.
    Antec Three Hundred Two | Intel DP67BA | Intel 2600k | Corsair CWCH60 | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (PC3-12800) | PNY GTX 580 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | WD RE4 2TB (WD2002FYPS) | Asus Xonar DG Sound | LG Blu-Ray Burner | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Work:
    Macbook Pro 15" Retina Display | 8GB Ram | 256GB SSD | Mac OS 10.8

No two ways about it, I am slower getting everything done on Win8.
    Moving files, organizing and pruning folders, starting multiple programs in the correct order are all slower for me. I am very used to it and Win7 has a faster interface.

Sorry MS, your lack of focus on what this user needs (fast efficient interface) means I will not be downgrading to Win8 until the mod community fixes the interface.
    I am so bad at Quake I might as well be DOA

Asus P6T
    i7 920 4GHz on air
    ATI 5970 900/1200 OC (still fast 2 years after release)
    12 Gb Corsair
    240 Gb Revodrive

Quote Originally Posted by DOA View Post
    Sorry MS, your lack of focus on what this user needs (fast efficient interface) means I will not be downgrading to Win8 until the mod community fixes the interface.
    The Windows 7 UI (which still has roots in Windows 95) is far from fast or efficient in 2012.

I haven't spent much time with Windows 8, but I'm always amazed how resilient Windows users are to change. You don't realize just how inefficient the Windows UI is until you use something else for long enough to notice just how weird your old habits seemed.

Whenever I have to sit down at a Windows box it grinds my gears how long it takes to do things that are trivial on other operating systems. The universal search has always been garbage. You have to navigate through this archaic menu to find applications. There is no file structure to support command line utilities.

OS X, Android, iOS, Ubuntu… they've all moved forward. Windows hasn't. The new Windows 8 UI might not be the right answer, but Windows users are going to have to get dragged into future kicking and screaming no matter what.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    I've been using OSX for about 4 months straight. I agree with you Ima, working with Windows now seems very tiring. Having an icon based launch bar has been great. No more crunched tabs. The universal top bar is nice too. It took some getting used to, but having to not hunt around the current window for the menu bar has been a big plus. I just shoot my mouse to the top of the screen and there's the menu. Installing and managing my programs is much easier as well.

Doing anything with the NAS is much easier for some reason too. Connecting to local hosts just seems to work without any configuration or fiddling with settings. Come to think of it, I haven't had to tinker at all.

I still like Windows, but for day-to-day usability and for work related tasks, OSX seems like a clear winner to me aside from the application selection. Also, Objective-C is very nice. Safari is a fantastic browser. Then you get Mail, XCode, iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband, and Calendar all included or free. Not a bad deal, especially if you build a hackintosh and only spend $19.99 on ML
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Reef Shark
    ^ enjoy the MacBook you're going to buy sometime in the next year or so

Does anyone else think Microsoft are setting themselves up for a huge backlash with this Windows RT thing? They have not communicated at all the next wave of devices, which runs a new version of Windows, is not compatible with any current software. The fact that Windows RT looks basically identical to the new version of "real" Windows doesn't help either. I have no idea how the hell a normal consumer is supposed to understand this.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven P Jobs View Post

Does anyone else think Microsoft are setting themselves up for a huge backlash with this Windows RT thing? They have not communicated at all the next wave of devices, which runs a new version of Windows, is not compatible with any current software. The fact that Windows RT looks basically identical to the new version of "real" Windows doesn't help either. I have no idea how the hell a normal consumer is supposed to understand this.
    Me? I've already got a MBP. I needed the Hackintosh for 16GB RAM, better processor, graphics, and more options.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Steven P Jobs View Post

I don't think people are going to be picking up a Surface RT with the expectation that they can install Battlefield 3. I'm more concerned with how you get future software than how/if you can install legacy software.

What I'm not clear about is the actual process for getting software across the Windows 8 ecosystem.
    Is there a unified store?
    Are there three separate stores (Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, Windows Phone 8)?
    Does the Windows Store co-mingle x86 and ARM apps?
    If you have an app that runs on both, do you submit binaries for each?
    Do they show up as separate items?
    Will you be able to see x86 apps on the RT device version of the Windows Store and vice versa?
    Since Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 are both ARM, can you write an app that works on both?
    What actually "is" a Metro app?
    Where do XBOX Live Arcade games fit into this mix?

I can see this going either really well or really bad. A unified store would be kind of awesome.

I was going to buy the RT, but after taking a close look at the specs I'm going to wait for the Pro. I didn't realize the resolution was so low on the RT. Lamesauce.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Will wait till 1st service pack. I like to let the first batch of guinea pigs work out the kinks for me.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I just bought Windows 8 Pro for $15 (thanks to a promo code but I am afraid to install it. I just selected to burn an image and install later.

As a PC user I dont see anything productive about the new metro interface. Thankfully there is a program (pokki) that can bring back the start menu and allow you to boot into the desktop if you want to.

Has anyone else installed it and can give their opinion? Does it offer any improved performance over Windows 7?
    They don't have a decent piece of fruit at the supermarket. The apples are mealy, the oranges are dry... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!

No, *MY* new girlfriend!~ OpStar's Avatar
    I love everything about Windows 8. Metro is pretty unobtrusive and you hardly ever have to use it if you don't want to. I just wish the Lumia 920 would hurry up and come out.
    |i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz|Corsair H100i w/ NF-F12s|MSI P67A-GD65 B3|32GB Corsair XMS3|GTX 780 SLi|Skullcandy Slyr|1x250GB Evo 1x500GB Evo 1x1TB Evo|3x32LN5300|Win 8 Pro|Corsair Air 540|eVGA Super Nova 1300GS|

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    What I'm not clear about is the actual process for getting software across the Windows 8 ecosystem.
    Is there a unified store?
    Are there three separate stores (Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, Windows Phone 8)?
    Does the Windows Store co-mingle x86 and ARM apps?
    If you have an app that runs on both, do you submit binaries for each?
    Do they show up as separate items?
    Will you be able to see x86 apps on the RT device version of the Windows Store and vice versa?
    Since Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 are both ARM, can you write an app that works on both?
    What actually "is" a Metro app?
    Where do XBOX Live Arcade games fit into this mix?

I can see this going either really well or really bad. A unified store would be kind of awesome.

I have the exact same questions, thanks for typing them out.
    GA-MA790GPT-UD3H, AMD Phenom ll 955,
    Lian Li PC-60 PLUS, HD5850
    ----------------
    Resist the devil, and he will flee from you!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!

2kr1b1r/Bpp3pp/1N2p1n1/4p1q1/4P3/2Q5/PPP2PPP/3R1RK1 b - - 6 15

I have it, how the HELL do you put shortcuts on your task tray?
    CD2 e6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    4 GB
    ATI HD 4890 Stock
    650 Watt PSU
    1920x1080 Resolution
    Vista 32 Bit
    HP G60 Laptop w/Ubuntu-Love it
    ----------------------
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than
    those who falsely believe they are free."