Any takers on Win 8? - Page 6

Sharky Forums

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Any takers on Win 8?

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    I installed windows 8 using USB on both my MacBook Pro and pc. It works fine. I don't know anything about bitlocker.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

It doesn't always happen but often. Did you start with a blank hdd and let it make the partitions for you or did you manually make them?
    Last edited by vertices; 12-01-2012 at 01:21 PM.

I used bootcamp on my MBP, so the partition was made within OSX and, come to think of it, I only did a upgrade install on my PC using the same USB. I guess my post was pointless lol.

I'm having trouble with the download procedure, I think I've mucked up and haven't created an iso (if I have, I don't know where it's gone) and now that machine has died unexpectedly thanks to a dodgy bios update from Dell (if you have an Alienware Aurora R4, do not upgrade the bios from A05). I've tried running the source files the desktop produced but it just errors and I can't see anything on the Microsoft website that I can use on another machine, when I try to do so it will only let me order another copy.

There's a couple of obvious options, go into town and buy a retail DVD release (the license can be used to upgrade another machine but pricey) or get a W8 iso from technet, I don't have access myself but should be able to get one from a friend although maybe not for a few days. Is there any other way to get the iso or install files onto another PC to try and rebuild the first? Or is this the downside to the download option?

Edit - Turns out I did produce the iso, just stupidly put it on one of the internal drives rather than the server. Fingers crossed this will work...

Edit2 - Looking good so far, posting this from the W8 install. Time will tell as to what isn't working but it seems to have accepted everything including the more fiddly stuff such as the case interface and the ATI Crossfire bits. The only issue I'm having is a very minor one and that is that the system seems slow to boot but that's maybe because the Crucial C300 64GB I'm using is slower than I'm realising than the 128GB SSD in the Vaio, the latter boots from cold staggeringly fast - it shows the Vaio logo for a second, fades and then it's ready to go. Other than that though speed seems good as the machine is very responsive.

I'm actually pretty impressed with some of the rest, it found everything on the install which to be fair is just a function of it being a newer OS - I was surprised W7 barely found anything on this machine and was problematic taking the SATA drivers. IE10 seems to work like Opera's link feature and has quietly synchronised everything which is very handy as pages I was looking at on the Vaio while trying to fix the desktop are available without having to search for it first. I was impressed with the new much more useful task manager which works particularly well on the desktop due to its much larger amount of resources, the old task manager looked a mess trying to display the 12 threads but the new one not only does so in a more useful way but also shows clock speeds, disk activity on each drive, Ethernet activity, socket, core and processor counts, virtualisation status and cache counts all in much the same space.

I've seen a lot of advice not to install Windows 8 on a desktop and fair enough which I don't really agree with, there's quite a few benefits aside from the touch interface and it actually seems to work fairly well if you know the shortcuts (which I didn't bother learning for the consumer preview). Windows and D takes you from the touch interface to the desktop mode and Windows and Tab lets you flick through the touch apps while alt and tab seems to go through them all.

John
    Last edited by Johnmcl7; 12-01-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, Noctua NH D15 Cromax, Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR 3200Mhz, Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB, 4TB SSD/26TB HDD. Fractal Design R6, Corsair RM850X
    Rocinante - Intel i7 8750H, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, 2.2TB SSD, Alienware M15 R1

Sushi
    Upgraded from VISTA - Big downfall is that I can not view DVD videos even the slideshow videos I made using Adobe Premier Elements. Found a web site that explained MSFT is probably saving $2.0 and it may cost US $20 to get the functionality, (Do not remember the proper name). Another site said until 31 Jan 2013 the functionality is free - just send us your email address and you will receive key code within 72 hours. Well 72 hours pass twice, (at lease 144 hrs), and no response yet.

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by davidind12 View Post
    Upgraded from VISTA - Big downfall is that I can not view DVD videos even the slideshow videos I made using Adobe Premier Elements. Found a web site that explained MSFT is probably saving $2.0 and it may cost US $20 to get the functionality, (Do not remember the proper name). Another site said until 31 Jan 2013 the functionality is free - just send us your email address and you will receive key code within 72 hours. Well 72 hours pass twice, (at lease 144 hrs), and no response yet.
    Get the free Media Center upgrade key code before the end of January. You get the dvd playback for free that way, and will be able to keep it for free.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

What do you guys think now that youve have some time with Win 8? For me, the start screen is still strange, however my biggest complaint that I've found so far is how many steps it takes to turn off or sleep the computer. Hot corner->move and click on settings->move and click on tiny power symbol->click shutdown. The start menu took 1-2s to get to shutdown, the new menu takes at least 5 or so. Not a huge deal, but it seems like a much bigger task than it need be.

The other thing that is off putting is how many options are not available in the Metro UI's control panel. It is hard to find system services such as disk management without searching. You have to know the exact phrase too, because I put in Disk Utility and nothing popped up (that's OSX for me.) It will also pop you back and forth for some control panel things. Seems very unpolished.

On the bright side, the system is much snappier than before.

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    What do you guys think now that youve have some time with Win 8? For me, the start screen is still strange, however my biggest complaint that I've found so far is how many steps it takes to turn off or sleep the computer. Hot corner->move and click on settings->move and click on tiny power symbol->click shutdown. The start menu took 1-2s to get to shutdown, the new menu takes at least 5 or so. Not a huge deal, but it seems like a much bigger task than it need be.

The other thing that is off putting is how many options are not available in the Metro UI's control panel. It is hard to find system services such as disk management without searching. You have to know the exact phrase too, because I put in Disk Utility and nothing popped up (that's OSX for me.) It will also pop you back and forth for some control panel things. Seems very unpolished.

On the bright side, the system is much snappier than before.
    I think they might have tried a bit too hard to be OSX. I.e. all polish and shine and hide the underlying OS from the end user.

As for power..... Yeah. That's a seriously huge PITA. Fastest way I've found is CTRL+ALT+DEL and click the power icon in the lower right. Not much faster, but a bit. Overall I've been happy with the move. Like you I would say that it's a bit snappier. I like a lot of the underlying changes. I like the updated support that comes with a new OS.

Since I mostly sleep the computer, I've just set the hardware button on my PC to sleep, and for my laptop it sleeps when I close the lid.
    Last edited by James; 01-16-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64