Moving to a SSD drive on laptop

Sharky Forums

Thread: Moving to a SSD drive on laptop

Moving to a SSD drive on laptop

So I picked up a SSD drive for my laptop, and a second HD enclosure to take the place of my CDROM drive. I want it to be my primary HD and my old SATA drive to be for everything else.

So here is the million dollar question.

If the SSD drive is 160gb and my SATA is 500gb, is there a backup application that will allow me the ability to pick an choose what I want to backup. Then when I restore the drive I can restore it to where i want it to go. For example i would load Windows to my C: but my VMWARE box to my D:?

Copy and Paste would work for the most part.... and allow you complete control.

But, after reinstalling the OS, you'd have to reinstall VMWARE etc... You should be able to point those to the D drive.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

yah i figured for files I can copy and paste but i didnt want to reinstall all of my apps one by one. O well

Cloning a larger drive to a smaller one can't be done if the larger drive has more than 160 gigs of stuff on it. You'd have to zap a lot of stuff or move it first.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."