Can't decide on whiat new laptop to buy - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't decide on whiat new laptop to buy

Catfish
    ok ,

if you dont want the Thinkpad 530 I mentioned above,

You can get this Sony Viao notebook , the SVS series ..

this

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666493378

they have the 15 inch IPS full hd , the Graphics card , and slim design and all the specs you want

be sure it is SVS and not SVT , the SVT is the same with touch screen BUT NOT IPS.

have fun

note: go ThinkPad :P

Edit : I know this mite sound crazy , but for $1499 you can go for the 13 inch Macbook pro Retina Display (2560 by 1600) IPS option , and install windows 7 on it. you wont regret this route at all , but will cost you 500$ more
    Last edited by PCVSNotebook; 02-21-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by PCVSNotebook View Post
    besides how did you know I assumed incorrectly? there is still a possibility of it being IPS right ?
    Mostly because I researched it yesterday before posting my comment.

Also keep in mind "Full color gamut" is marketing term. 95% of NTSC color space is good, but it still doesn't make up for not being able to see those colors if you have to slightly tilt your screen forward or back in my opinion.

As for the viewing angles picture you posted, look at the straight on, but top and bottom shots in that picture you posted. When leaned back (bottom shot), the top is nearly blacking out. Everything is crushed, and what should be a light-ish grey is showing as the same color as the black background bit in the photo. Now, look at the top picture (the lean forward one). The top and bottom are showing up as the same near-white color. Even though you can see the are radically different in the straight on picture. That's just grey scale, that doesn't even touch the deformation of the color space as you tilt it.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Mostly because I researched it yesterday before posting my comment.

Also keep in mind "Full color gamut" is marketing term. 95% of NTSC color space is good, but it still doesn't make up for not being able to see those colors if you have to slightly tilt your screen forward or back in my opinion.

As for the viewing angles picture you posted, look at the straight on, but top and bottom shots in that picture you posted. When leaned back (bottom shot), the top is nearly blacking out. Everything is crushed, and what should be a light-ish grey is showing as the same color as the black background bit in the photo. Now, look at the top picture (the lean forward one). The top and bottom are showing up as the same near-white color. Even though you can see the are radically different in the straight on picture. That's just grey scale, that doesn't even touch the deformation of the color space as you tilt it.
    yeah I know but it is still very good for TN panel

it is 170/170/170/170

a bit better than the 170/170/160/160

I really hate to loose the Thinkpad for this reason

Edit: Sadly the only better notebook today is the Apple with Retina display ... the best option is to buy the 1499$ 13 inch macbookpro with IPS Retina and install windows in it dual boot.
    Last edited by PCVSNotebook; 02-21-2013 at 10:23 AM.

I decided not to go with IPS. I do not travel much and I look at my screen indoors straight dead on. So, I took that preference away. I went ahead and bought a new computer. I have learned so much from all of you and want to thank you for your help! BTW, I am a she, lol.
    HP Envy, Windows 10

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by linsjean View Post
    I decided not to go with IPS. I do not travel much and I look at my screen indoors straight dead on. So, I took that preference away. I went ahead and bought a new computer. I have learned so much from all of you and want to thank you for your help! BTW, I am a she, lol.
    lol, my mistake miss linsjean

congratulations , enjoy your new notebook

lol, my mistake miss linsjean

congratulations , enjoy your new notebook
    No problem. I will most likely be back showing my new sig displaying the make and model of my new laptop and coming here for advice, learning Windows 8
    HP Envy, Windows 10

ok, now I am unhappy since I took this brand new laptop out of the box (bought it fro Best Buy online). It is an HP Envy m4 Notebook PC. No numerical keyboard and Windows 8 -NEVER, ok I won't say never but not ready for it. I do not like hitting the Windows button key to get to all apps and then tryign to find my desktop. Can't even X out of any window. Nope, won't do it. I have been under a lot of stress trying to navigate this OS. I want Windows 7. Only option is for me to return it to a Best Buy store in my town (which we have) and return it for an exchange. Maybe someone can go to bestbuy.com and find me a decent laptop around $850 or so, even $950 after reading this entire thread. I hope they carry a lappy with windows 7!
    HP Envy, Windows 10

Catfish
    ok, now I am unhappy since I took this brand new laptop out of the box (bought it fro Best Buy online). It is an HP Envy m4 Notebook PC. No numerical keyboard and Windows 8 -NEVER, ok I won't say never but not ready for it. I do not like hitting the Windows button key to get to all apps and then tryign to find my desktop. Can't even X out of any window. Nope, won't do it. I have been under a lot of stress trying to navigate this OS. I want Windows 7. Only option is for me to return it to a Best Buy store in my town (which we have) and return it for an exchange. Maybe someone can go to bestbuy.com and find me a decent laptop around $850 or so, even $950 after reading this entire thread. I hope they carry a lappy with windows 7!
    you should get a touch screen notebook with a windows 8 ...

to close apps you can wither ALT+F4 , or move the mouse pointer to the left upper corner and a list of opened programs will pop and you can close them there by right click.

to access opened programs , move the pointer to the upper left corner , you will get all opened progrmas to choose to move to (you can still use alt_tab as well)

you can work all in desktop mode just like in Win7 btw ...

anyways , get the Thinkpad T530 .... it comes with Windows 7 option. and is a great Notebook. and get the full HD screen option. it is available in BestBuy but I cant find the Full HD screen

anyways here is what i found in best buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-...530&cp=1&lp=14

they come with windows 7

can you return it for full refund ? or just replacement?

and do you want a 15 inch or 14 inch one ?

Edit : do you want a numerical keyboard with it ?
    Last edited by PCVSNotebook; 02-28-2013 at 01:12 PM.

you should get a touch screen notebook with a windows 8 ...

to close apps you can wither ALT+F4 , or move the mouse pointer to the left upper corner and a list of opened programs will pop and you can close them there by right click.

to access opened programs , move the pointer to the upper left corner , you will get all opened progrmas to choose to move to (you can still use alt_tab as well)

you can work all in desktop mode just like in Win7 btw ...

anyways , get the Thinkpad T530 .... it comes with Windows 7 option. and is a great Notebook. and get the full HD screen option. it is available in BestBuy but I cant find the Full HD screen

anyways here is what i found in best buy

they come with windows 7

can you return it for full refund ? or just replacement?

and do you want a 15 inch or 14 inch one ?

Edit : do you want a numerical keyboard with it ?
    Looks like a great laptop.
    15 inch is what I would like.
    Yes, I want a numerical KB
    I can only get a credit or exchange.

Thanks!
    HP Envy, Windows 10

Catfish
    Looks like a great laptop.
    15 inch is what I would like.
    Yes, I want a numerical KB
    I can only get a credit or exchange.

Thanks!
    Hi Again ,

ok here is the situation , if you insist on numeric pad , then you will not accept the Lenovo ThinkPad T530 , the Thinkpad edge mite come with one i will check , but it is lower grade than the T530 I dont like it...

the T530 is one of the best notebooks ... you can buy a separate numeric pad and use it with it if you wish.

the other options are like this ,

I found these two notebooks very good and both are in Bestbuy ,

1- the Lenovo Y500 .. it is not a ThinkPAD , but is good and comes with full HD screen , 650M Graphics , and an optional bay in which you can add another harddisk/DVD/ or even asecond VGA card in the future. lol sadly it is new so it comes with win 8 by default .. oh and it comes with I7 quad cores.

here is the Link to it

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo--...&skuId=7900048

2- The Sony S series , is nice , has very good IPS monitor , and comes in white color which girls like alot ..

the white

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+V...specifications

the black

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony---V...&skuId=6949638

ofc with windows 8 as well..

now you have 3 options ,

Thinkpad T530 with win7 and no numeric pad.

or

the Lenovo Y500 , i7 4 cores , full hd display with numeric pad but also with windows 8

or

the Sony S series , has IPS full hd display , numeric pad, i5 , and windows 8 lol ..

The ThinkPad T530 , you can ask them to get you the one with Full HD screen from Lenovo ... I guess they can do that.

as for the Numeric Keyboard , you can get somthing like this as well

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834995516

or this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823700033
    Last edited by PCVSNotebook; 02-28-2013 at 06:03 PM.

If they have it in the store (or if I can get a credit to buy online) I really like that Lenovo T530 with full HD screen. Is it a touch screen? Doesn't matter to me much. It's interesting when I look at the picture of the keyboard, they have plenty of room to have put a numeric KB in there, there's lots of space, lol. Anyway, I like the specs and it's only like 5.5 pounds. I think my old laptop is about 8 pounds, pretty heavy when I haul it around. I just remembered. I do have an external keyboard that is USB so I can always plug that in if I need to use it for like a data entry test online.

And I especially like the fact that it comes with Windows 7. I really wish I could find a good deal on MS Office 2010. I need to become proficient in learning that whole suite, because there are so many jobs out there that are asking for at least intermediate users. I only have MS office 2007. And they changed a lot of things around (because I use it at work and always asking questions).

Why do you like the thinkpad so much? What is it about it that you turns you on about it? Will it be compatible with my other HP devices like my printer (which is HP). I'm looking over at my new laptop HP Envy m4 Notebook and it says it has a back light so where is the light? I think if anyone buys a brand new computer they should be able to get free courses on how to use the features. It's also doing a Firefox update and it's going forever and I will probably cancel it. I also have so many freaking ads that pop up when I'm on the internet bu that could be a preference from FF (probably did not disable popups). And Norton, well, just saw a notification that it's a trial. When I get my next new lappy, I will uninstall that (I think there is an actual Norton removal tool software) and just get the Avast or AVG.

I'm sure glad that I bought a new logitech wireless mouse. I know people that really know how to use a touchpad, but I'm slow on it and I accidently hit it and it directs me to somewhere i don't want to be. I would prefer to turn the darn thing off.

Thanks for listening to me vent. You know how women can get, very wordy at times. Men, they are usually more solution oriented, lol.
    HP Envy, Windows 10

Catfish
    If they have it in the store (or if I can get a credit to buy online) I really like that Lenovo T530 with full HD screen. Is it a touch screen? Doesn't matter to me much. It's interesting when I look at the picture of the keyboard, they have plenty of room to have put a numeric KB in there, there's lots of space, lol. Anyway, I like the specs and it's only like 5.5 pounds. I think my old laptop is about 8 pounds, pretty heavy when I haul it around. I just remembered. I do have an external keyboard that is USB so I can always plug that in if I need to use it for like a data entry test online.

And I especially like the fact that it comes with Windows 7. I really wish I could find a good deal on MS Office 2010. I need to become proficient in learning that whole suite, because there are so many jobs out there that are asking for at least intermediate users. I only have MS office 2007. And they changed a lot of things around (because I use it at work and always asking questions).

Why do you like the thinkpad so much? What is it about it that you turns you on about it? Will it be compatible with my other HP devices like my printer (which is HP). I'm looking over at my new laptop HP Envy m4 Notebook and it says it has a back light so where is the light? I think if anyone buys a brand new computer they should be able to get free courses on how to use the features. It's also doing a Firefox update and it's going forever and I will probably cancel it. I also have so many freaking ads that pop up when I'm on the internet bu that could be a preference from FF (probably did not disable popups). And Norton, well, just saw a notification that it's a trial. When I get my next new lappy, I will uninstall that (I think there is an actual Norton removal tool software) and just get the Avast or AVG.

I'm sure glad that I bought a new logitech wireless mouse. I know people that really know how to use a touchpad, but I'm slow on it and I accidently hit it and it directs me to somewhere i don't want to be. I would prefer to turn the darn thing off.

Thanks for listening to me vent. You know how women can get, very wordy at times. Men, they are usually more solution oriented, lol.
    Hello again ,

1- no , the Lenovo Thinkpad T530 is not touch screen notebook.

2- The Lenovo T530 in the BestBuy store are not FullHD (1920×1080), but they will order it from Lenovo anyways , and you can ask them for the full HD screen option , it also has Full Color Gamut as I showed you in earlier post , but thats Available from Lenovo Direct shopping site. in Best Buy they have 2 versions , HD (1366x768) , and HD+(1600x900) and those have lower color gamut but all other cheap notebooks have the same color so dont worry , still try to ask them for the Full HD option, they will order it for you anyways it is not in stock.

3- The space to the right and left is to protect the keyboard, this is a very heavy duty Notebook .

4- lol , Actually 5.5 is a little heavy similar hardware is at 4.5 pounds today , it is heavier coz it is more durable.

5- As for Office 2010 , the home/student version comes with 3 license keys , try to ask around .. some one will give you a key

6- Why I like the ThinkPAD ? coz it was IBM .. IBM made ThinkPad , was the First Military grade notebook for the consumers, very durable , made the best keyboard on laptops , and was spill resistant as well .. later on , IBM decided to leave the Notebook market and they sold it , Lenovo Bought it .. when you see "ThinkPad" in Lenovo products , thats the IBM technology continuing.

7- Watch this movie it is the same ThinkPad T series , the T410 (older CPU) ..

water spill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cvi00OZDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wjBQE0_ejQ

Free fall :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCwwDacNk1U

LCD stress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7_-kQIB-MA

Dust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO5LGICeOuk

8- It is Durable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ENQ1dUavI8

9- The keyboard light ? you can turn it on/off , try to find the button for that , or maybe it is a software button in your HP as well. and you dont need a course , you need to read the manuals

10- When you buy any wireless input device (mouse , keyboard , etc) for a notebook , be sure it is Bluetooth , all notebooks have Blutooth and you should use it . there is no point of wasting a usb2 for the wireless 2.4 Radio dongle .. and btw BT signals are better ... I think HP also got a Wifi Mouse

11- try to Get an SSD as soon as you can afford it , choose Samsung 840 Pro .. the 256G version .. it will make your notebook fly , and it is ALOT better. but you mite need help installing it and cloning the older harddisk. that Samsung is the best today , and be sure it is a "pro"

12. When you get your new machine , dont plug it to the internet , dont plug any usb flash to it .. keep it as is , boot it , and make the recovery disk first ... most people do this step a little late .. you should do this first thing b4 connecting to the internet , or even plugging the lan , and big no , not even wireless netweork ... ALL OFF .. make the recovery , then do what ever you want to do after that.

13. If they (notebook manufacturer) offer you an option for recovery Disks included , get them ... they cost like 10$ more ...

14. Thank you too for the nice conversation , women are nicer and more polite in general .. who refuses to listen to them

Edit : what does "vent." mean ?
    Last edited by PCVSNotebook; 03-01-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Hi there again,

Wow, I was impressed by watching the Youtube vids, especially the one called "melt". Almost unbelievable! Melted from a fire, dropped from a two-story house and under water for days and still worked! I am sold It's one thing seeing a descripton from a post and another watching a video, and even though I realize that videos can be edited and re-enacted, I have a feeling that the Levono was putting under these tests.

If I do buy the full HD screen that might be ordered? How do I replace that with the current screen?

I bought a Logitech wireless mouse but it's not Bluetooth, and I see what you mean. I just wasted a precious USB port. I didn't even know they had these devices that would bounce a signal, say to my router which makes me totally wireless as I type this. What's a radio dongle?

What do you think about this article about SSD? http://www.zdnet.com/how-ssd-power-f...ta-7000011979/

My new HP Envy notebook didn't come with any recovery discs, so I guess I can make them myself. Where would the instructions on that be? Would I use DVDs? I remember doing this before on a previous computer and you name them Disk 1, 2, etc. But I will ask them if they have the recovery discs.

I'm returning the Envy tomorrow. I used CCleaner to wipe out personal data, uninstalled things I downloaded, but how do I remove my password to login to computer? I want no trace of personal data on that machine.

Vent means someone letting off steam to anyone who will listen to them. Women seem to be much more wordy and emotional, and it appears that men are more solvers, fixers. Nothing wrong with either. You are actually a great listener, thanks!
    HP Envy, Windows 10

Catfish
    Hi there again,

Wow, I was impressed by watching the Youtube vids, especially the one called "melt". Almost unbelievable! Melted from a fire, dropped from a two-story house and under water for days and still worked! I am sold It's one thing seeing a descripton from a post and another watching a video, and even though I realize that videos can be edited and re-enacted, I have a feeling that the Levono was putting under these tests.

If I do buy the full HD screen that might be ordered? How do I replace that with the current screen?

I bought a Logitech wireless mouse but it's not Bluetooth, and I see what you mean. I just wasted a precious USB port. I didn't even know they had these devices that would bounce a signal, say to my router which makes me totally wireless as I type this. What's a radio dongle?

What do you think about this article about SSD? http://www.zdnet.com/how-ssd-power-f...ta-7000011979/

My new HP Envy notebook didn't come with any recovery discs, so I guess I can make them myself. Where would the instructions on that be? Would I use DVDs? I remember doing this before on a previous computer and you name them Disk 1, 2, etc. But I will ask them if they have the recovery discs.

I'm returning the Envy tomorrow. I used CCleaner to wipe out personal data, uninstalled things I downloaded, but how do I remove my password to login to computer? I want no trace of personal data on that machine.

Vent means someone letting off steam to anyone who will listen to them. Women seem to be much more wordy and emotional, and it appears that men are more solvers, fixers. Nothing wrong with either. You are actually a great listener, thanks!
    Hi ,

1- dont order the LCD alone lol .. I ment ask them to get you the whole notebook with Full HD and full color Gamut from Lenovo. if you look carefully , it is out of stock , so they will order one anyways for you from them. If they refuse , then you are stuck with the HD+ they have 1600x900 ... or just order your T530 from Lenovo , and use the credit in Bestbuy for somthing else ... or maybe give it to others ... buy things for some one around you from their and he pays you ... be smart

2. here is the Shopping link for Lenovo T530 again :

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...FB&action=init

choose the $719 one , then Customize , and add the 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display for $250 , and Add the Fingerprint reader $20 , and ADD the Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna $30

Totaling , $989

keep in mind that they are giving you 1 dimm 4G Ram there . so you are loosing dual channel mode which needs 2 DIMMS .. I would suggest you order it as is , later buy 2x8G totaling 16G Ram .. it is cheaper from outside.

get one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20

16G 2x8 DDR3 1600 ... it is VERY Important and you will feel the difference .

3- try to show BestBuy what you want exactly from Lenovo , send them email with the specs you want ... maybe they will order it and sell it for you. if NOT , you have 2 choices , get it as is from them , or just use the cridet for somthing else and order another one Directly from Lenovo .

4- Radio Dongle ? I call it like that , it is that small USB device that sends/recieves 2.4ghz Radio signals from/to the wireless mouse .. lol I just found out there are FM Radio Dongles so dont mix them...

5- as for your link about the SSD testing , well you need to realize that in cheap $1000 notebooks they will never put a server grade harddisk there, even the Mechanical Harddisks will not stand heavy raid tests in enterprise usage and heavy loads , they wont last one month 24/7 usage ... for home use it is different ... do you know for example , there are 1TB harddisks for $50 and 1TB for 100$ and even more .. those more expensive come with 5 years warranty and are made for 24/7 non stop use . so it doesnt matter what you get in your notebook ...
    the SSD I chose for you however is the Samsung 840 Pro , and it comes with 5 years warranty ... when they sell it with such warranty , dont worry about drive fail much. And finally , the Golden rule , always back up your critical DATA .. anything can fail .. so backup the data on DVD or Blue ray.

6- If you made the recovery disks , you can just wipe out everything and use the recovery disks for fresh factory installing .. look for an icon to make the recovery disks. or just simpler , use a new password
    Last edited by PCVSNotebook; 03-01-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Hi We will get there eventually, lol

1. I understand about the Full HD and full color Gamut from Lenovo and I see it's out of stock. If they do not order one for me, then I will be stuck with 1600 x 900 (that's not so bad, is it)? And no, I'm not going to give anything to anyone and buy things and they pay me. I want things in MY name with a warranty. Plus I am not made of money. I am poor actually. I got my taxes back, so if I can get things later, that's what I want to do. To me, that IS being smart.

2. Thank you the link again, and I have copy/pasted these things into a Word document so bring with me tomorrow. I am glad you mentioned I can buy some things later because I am on a very poor budget! I just looked at the packing slip that came with the Envy, and I paid just about $800. I can do the extra totaling $989, but that's it. I will get the RAM later, but thank you for the numbers of it so I get the right kind when I decide to buy Outside.

3. I don't have time to do an email to Best Buy right now. I am due to bring this machine back tomorrow. I will go in person and see if they have the hardware/software that I want, but if not, I will buy as is. Again, I cannot use the credit to buy something else from Best Buy and buy directly from Lenovo. I must use the credit to buy from Best Buy, otherwise, I can't afford to buy elsewhere.

4. It is a shame that I have to use one of my USB ports for my wireless mouse. I really like my Logitech wireless mouse (lack of cords everywhere), but I don't know much about Radio Dongle. And you mentioned that it is a USB device. I have a hub so I can use that if needed, except the hub is not 3.0, darn.

5. I have backed up all my pics, music and data files onto my external HD. It's all safe there. Would not be a bad idea to burn DVD's to back up again because I did have the unfortunate episode of losing all of my data on the laptop I am typing on now, the Compaq. I learned my lesson. My bookmarks are a mess. I have duplicates in Firefox like 3 that are called toolbar bookmarks and 3 that are called menu bookmarks. I know, I have not organized well. But it is what it is and I can organize bookmarks later after I import that into my next laptop. And of course I will need to download everything all over again which I find grusome! But it must be done. I had so many pop ups on the HP Envy that it annoyed me becuase they wouldn't go away. Sometimes FF would even redirect me to places I did not want to go. Argggh! Just from touching my touchpad.

6. No, I did not make recovery disks for the HP Envy. I just want the admin password to go away. I am typing on my Compaq and it doesn't have a password protected logon. Anyway, I think I will change the password to something that I will never remember, therefore, they can get into the Envy and just do a clean sweep and resell it i guess?

One last thing, my back kills me when I sit at home and spend even 10 minutes using my computer. It's not at the right height and I think my computer chair is not a ergonomically safe. When I go to work, I have no problems, but here I must look down at my laptop. Maybe put it on a little stand? Before I was thinking of buying a new laptop, I was going to get one of those cooling devices to circulate air underneath my compaq, but I need more ideas how to get work station (basically a picnic table) and my chair in the right height so I can rest my wrists and type. Plus, all of my devices are warm to hot to the touch, my compaq metal parts are hot, my router on the bottom is warm/hot and my adapter to the power plug is very warm.

Plz reply ASAP because tomorrow by 11am I am out of here on my way to Best Buy. Thanks for sticking with me.
    HP Envy, Windows 10