I bought a new laptop with Windows 7. Does Windows Update still work with it?

Sharky Forums

Thread: I bought a new laptop with Windows 7. Does Windows Update still work with it?

I bought a new laptop with Windows 7. Does Windows Update still work with it?

I have not yet taken it out of the box, but someone told me that they are no longer supporting Windows 7. So no more patches or updates for 7? If that is the case, I will take the computer back. Anyone know? I would love to keep it, but I want to keep it for the next 5 years!
    HP Envy, Windows 10

Hammerhead Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by linsjean View Post
    I have not yet taken it out of the box, but someone told me that they are no longer supporting Windows 7. So no more patches or updates for 7? If that is the case, I will take the computer back. Anyone know? I would love to keep it, but I want to keep it for the next 5 years!
    Per my friend (a project manager at M$), M$ has a plan to come out with a new OS every 2-3 years. I know that Windows XP will no longer be supported in 2014 but have not been appraised of any removal of support from Windows 7. I think even with Windows 8 Developer, you will run into the same issue. At most, M$ will probably stop supporting each OS by 5 years time at most. This link gives you an idea of what they want us to know:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle#section_2

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p

Great White Shark
    Win 7 has a current EOL of 2017.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Hammerhead Shark
    MS is pretty transparent with it's support dates. XP will still be in extended support until April 8, 2014. Vista will be in extended support until April 11, 2017. Windows 7 will be in extended support until January 14, 2020. Information here.

MS will stop mainstream support for Windows 7 in 2015. I wouldn't expect any big features to be added after that date (or even before at this point). You'll still be able to get critical security updates until 2020, though.

You can see the differences between mainstream and extended support here under #3 here.
    Nick_B
    Currently running Ubuntu and Windows 7.

Hammerhead Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Win 7 has a current EOL of 2017.
    I think you are mixing Vista and Win7.
    Nick_B

Quote Originally Posted by kujoe2002 View Post
    Per my friend (a project manager at M$), M$ has a plan to come out with a new OS every 2-3 years. I know that Windows XP will no longer be supported in 2014 but have not been appraised of any removal of support from Windows 7. I think even with Windows 8 Developer, you will run into the same issue. At most, M$ will probably stop supporting each OS by 5 years time at most. This link gives you an idea of what they want us to know:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle#section_2
    Thanks. Wow, I have Vista on my old laptop so looks like next month they will be ending support or updates for that OS. What's the difference between mainstream and extended support? Thanks for the info.
    HP Envy, Windows 10

Hammerhead Shark
    Thanks. Wow, I have Vista on my old laptop so looks like next month they will be ending support or updates for that OS. What's the difference between mainstream and extended support? Thanks for the info.
    Mainstream support for Vista ended last April. The second link in my first post contains information re: the difference between mainstream and extended support.
    Nick_B

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_B View Post
    Mainstream support for Vista ended last April. The second link in my first post contains information re: the difference between mainstream and extended support.
    Thanks!
    HP Envy, Windows 10

Windows 7 is the flagship operating system for Microsoft. It is fully supported and will be for years. Hell, 14 year old Windows XP is just now losing support. Vista is also fully supported.

Windows Vista, 7, and 8 are all Longhorn systems, sharing a common kernel. My guess is all three will be supported until M$ switches from Longhorn to a different OS. XP and all of the NT based operating systems are finally being put out to pasture.
    RIG:
    XCLIO 2000 Black & Titanium Case
    KingWin Gold Certified 80+ 1000 Watt PS
    Asus P8Z77-V Premium Motherboard
    Intel Core I7 3770K @ 5.0 gHz
    Corsair CWCH70 Hydro Series H80 CPU Liquid Cooler
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    PowerColor Radeon 7990 6GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    1TB WD Black Edition SATA 3 + 3TB Seagate SATA 3
    Panasonic DVD
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Geforce255 View Post
    Windows 7 is the flagship operating system for Microsoft. It is fully supported and will be for years. Hell, 14 year old Windows XP is just now losing support. Vista is also fully supported.

Windows Vista, 7, and 8 are all Longhorn systems, sharing a common kernel. My guess is all three will be supported until M$ switches from Longhorn to a different OS. XP and all of the NT based operating systems are finally being put out to pasture.
    Thanks!
    HP Envy, Windows 10