Bioshock: Infinite

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bioshock: Infinite

Bioshock: Infinite

Surprised there isn't a thread on this already. Was finally convinced to buy the game late yesterday, got it installed last night, and am hoping to get some playtime in after work.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Probably look to pick it up for 20-30 bucks in the autumn or winter sale.
    My armor is Contempt
    My shield is Disgust
    My sword is Hatred
    In the Emperor's Name
    LET NONE SURVIVE

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Hmm...how do I communicate my feelings.

I'm about 4 hours in and I think its so-so. Nothing really new or surprising game mechanic wise. The plasmid/vigor's are different but they are functionally the same thing (i.e. instead of bees you now shoot ravens and a single plasmid/vigor can fire or be set as a trap). Like pretty much every other post Halo-shoter, you are now limited to only 2 weapons and have a rechargeable shield (seriously?). The levels are very linear despite having this massive sprawling city which is just SCREAMING for an open sandbox environment in the skies. A real shame because the skyhook system could have had so more potential then what they give it.

Story wise, the game does some new co-op thing with the Elizabeth character and there is stronger emphasis on the cast of characters rather then the city itself. The supporting characters are given ample screen time and more characterization occurs within the game to both give you a break form the action and invest you more into the story. I think this is the biggest departure from the original Bioshock where Rapture itself felt more like the primary character and simply being alone as you hunted the ruined corridors created your own fearful/excited connection to Rapture.

All in all I can't help but feel like this game has been dumbed down in some ways from the original Bioshock. Combat feels more simplified (maybe for the better?), puzzles are pretty much gone, levels are more straightforward and everything just feels more streamlined like a modem shooter. Maybe this changes later, but so-far I think Infinite pails to the original. I guess it doesn't help that I'm all ready looking for the plot twist.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I love it.

What you gonna do?!? fastitocalon's Avatar
    I will be receiving a code for it from my video card purchase. I'm not sure if I will be playing this or buying Tomb Raider and playing that first.
    A true friend stabs you in the front.
    -Oscar Wilde

Gamertag: Kelkeen
    PSN ID: Kelkeen
    Heatware: Fastitocalon
    Steam: Fastitocalon

http://raptr.com/badge/dfea8180810e4...7590e2b/fs.png

Game is FREAKIN AMAZING. Seriously. The art direction is incredible, the gameplay is awesome, the voice acting is awesome, the story so far is awesome. Ive been exploring as much as I can and I usually dont do that in very many games. The graphics are really good too, not Crysis 3 amazing but the art style really makes it unique. I can max it out pretty easily except for ultra AO which just tanks performance for whatever reason. Putting it one notch down to High or Very high or whatever makes it buttery smooth.

Small gripe is that forcing vsync locks the fps to 30 but I just use D3DOverrider to force vsync and triple buffering and I never drop below 50 fps.

Im taking my sweet time with this one.
    Steam- DerSchniffles
    Gigabyte z77-UD3H
    Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5
    8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600
    Sony AVR with 5.1/Asus Xonar DG
    EVGA GTX760 @ 1241/7000
    60 gig OS and 240 gig Game SSD's
    55" Vizio Tv/32" Vizio
    Logitech G700s Mouse and K520 Keyboard

I was really looking forward to this game but ended up not even getting it. I've barely been playing games lately. Got a new (to me) truck at the end of Feb and been spending a lot of time tinkering with it.
    I do want this game though as I think the previews I've seen look amazing. I do however doubt it's anything near the quality of the original. Tell me this though...is it creepy at all?

It is 0% creepy. So far at least. Suspense? Definetly.
    Steam- DerSchniffles
    Gigabyte z77-UD3H
    Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5
    8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600
    Sony AVR with 5.1/Asus Xonar DG
    EVGA GTX760 @ 1241/7000
    60 gig OS and 240 gig Game SSD's
    55" Vizio Tv/32" Vizio
    Logitech G700s Mouse and K520 Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    Hmm...how do I communicate my feelings.

I'm about 4 hours in and I think its so-so. Nothing really new or surprising game mechanic wise. The plasmid/vigor's are different but they are functionally the same thing (i.e. instead of bees you now shoot ravens and a single plasmid/vigor can fire or be set as a trap). Like pretty much every other post Halo-shoter, you are now limited to only 2 weapons and have a rechargeable shield (seriously?). The levels are very linear despite having this massive sprawling city which is just SCREAMING for an open sandbox environment in the skies. A real shame because the skyhook system could have had so more potential then what they give it.

Story wise, the game does some new co-op thing with the Elizabeth character and there is stronger emphasis on the cast of characters rather then the city itself. The supporting characters are given ample screen time and more characterization occurs within the game to both give you a break form the action and invest you more into the story. I think this is the biggest departure from the original Bioshock where Rapture itself felt more like the primary character and simply being alone as you hunted the ruined corridors created your own fearful/excited connection to Rapture.

All in all I can't help but feel like this game has been dumbed down in some ways from the original Bioshock. Combat feels more simplified (maybe for the better?), puzzles are pretty much gone, levels are more straightforward and everything just feels more streamlined like a modem shooter. Maybe this changes later, but so-far I think Infinite pails to the original. I guess it doesn't help that I'm all ready looking for the plot twist.
    Everything you wrote goes against everything I've read so far. So I guess I have to play it myself to see.
    War... War never changes.

I'm trying to avoid talking about the game too much before I've had a chance to beat it (no spoilz!), but I just want to offer counter-points to some of Taggart's criticisms. I'm also only 6 hours in, so I don't know if things change later on (please don't tell me if they do).

You're right that certain Vigors work exactly the same as certain Plasmids, but unlike in Bioshock, I feel like they all (so far) have a purpose. In Bioshock, once I found 2 or 3 Plasmids I enjoyed using, I never used anything but those - in Infinite, I am constantly switching Vigors depending on the situation. This, in addition to the overall improved feel of combat in general, makes the action in Infinite feel waaaaaaay better than it ever did in the previous games.

I don't know what difficulty you're playing on, but on Hard I am constantly moving, using the skyhooks, opening tears, laying traps and switching Vigors while trying to stay alive.

I also don't know how you're progressing through the levels, but I have found Columbia to be even more open than Rapture ever was. Hell, in the beginning, I spent over an hour just exploring the city before I was ever handed a weapon. Even now I'm constantly finding secrets and trying to get through locked doors. I also feel like the world is absolutely brimming with flavor - from the conversations people have around you, to posters and signs, to random newspapers you find all over the place - the city feels alive. I also love the little touches like
    Spoiler
    or
    Spoiler

The game definitely has a different feel than Bioshock. The fact that this isn't a world that has gone to **** before you arrived means the sense of isolation and horror is gone, but Infinite is no weaker for it because those aspects have been replaced by actual characters.
    Last edited by Kamakazie; 03-28-2013 at 12:28 PM.

I'm past the hall of heroes now and I'm starting to see more diversity in game-play. I'm finding combat to be much more fast passed but much less stalking/strategy focused then previous Bioshock games. This is not a game meant to be creeping in the shadows. Its a game where you go swinging on the rails and pouncing on baddies as you throw out swarms of birds, rain fireballs, and "tear" in support. Enemies come in larger waves in more open environments. Adding to this, Elizabeth support is starting to flesh out more and add to the gameplay. I'm starting to enjoy combat more and looking forward to what additional gameplay elements unfold.

I started on normal and the game was way to easy. Cranked up to Hard but I haven't seen a massive fight yet. Normal was pretty much a joke and I recommend going hard.

So far I really only use 2 vigors (possession and raven) and only switch up when I meet a vigor resistant enemy. In the original Bioshock I remember switching through plasmids constantly depending on the level and how I planned to ambush the local big daddy. Because of how action focused and open this game is, I just use raven and possession to tie up the baddies and mow them down with a machine gun or snipe. I remember spending more time in Bioshock setting up traps and baiting enemies, which I miss, but know wouldn't be practical in the large open areas of Columbine. I do think this AI is dumber. Baddies will just stand in the open waiting or just walk right past me during a fight. The AI really is nothing special.

Before moving on, I make it point to ransack the entire level. I did the same in Bioshock and uncovering the deeper parts of the story is a favorite of mine. I find that there are less nooks and crannies in Infinite and hopefully this will change as the game progresses. The locked doors are also pretty stupid IMHO so I used a cheat engine to give myself 999 keys. EVERY JOURNAL SHALL BE MINE!!!!!!

Is this a bad game? Not at all. Its different from Bioshock in ways I like and don't like. I suggest you try it yourself and see what you think.
    Last edited by taggart6; 03-28-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wurm View Post
    Everything you wrote goes against everything I've read so far. So I guess I have to play it myself to see.
    Its a game worth playing IMHO but I still prefer the original Bioshock. If you go in expecting a game closer to the original (stalking, trapping, and creepy) Bioshock then I think you will be disappointed as I initially was.
    Last edited by taggart6; 03-28-2013 at 01:49 PM.

My brother says there's a lot of stuff like conversations and so far one of the black and white videos that could be considered racist, which is a surprise for him to say that considering I've not read one mention of this yet in the 10+ reviews I've read.
    my rig

cpu: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5ghz
    mobo: AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    ram: 4x4gig GSkill Ripjaw X ddr3 1866
    cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    mouse: Logitech G500
    video: MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
    hdd(s): Crucial M4 SSD 240 gig (Windows 7)
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (data drive)
    dvd +/- r: Pioneer 111D D/L
    monitor: 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
    psu: PC P&C 610W
    chassis: NZXT Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by dyne View Post
    My brother says there's a lot of stuff like conversations and so far one of the black and white videos that could be considered racist, which is a surprise for him to say that considering I've not read one mention of this yet in the 10+ reviews I've read.
    There is lots of racism in the game.
    Spoiler

Later on,
    Spoiler

If racism is an extremely uncomfortable subject for you, be aware that Infinite is rife with it, but it serves to enforce what kind of people Columbia is built for.
    Last edited by Kamakazie; 03-28-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Racist? Considering the era the city broke off from the rest of the USA (and the general lack of Politically Correct BS back then for good or bad) I wouldn't be surprised nor would I hold it against the game's writers. Trying to white-wash our history is bad.
    War... War never changes.