Are optical SFP modules cross vendor comptiable?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Are optical SFP modules cross vendor comptiable?

Are optical SFP modules cross vendor comptiable?

Just wondering I have a
    Netgear ProSafe GS110TP Ethernet GigE Switch

and it supports 2x SFP modules for fiber. I checked around and those module for the netgear are $300+

At work we have GigE single and multimode SFP that are for Fujitsu multiplexer and Cisco ONS multiplexer that are used for service drops to customers.

With our contracts those SFP are cheaper than the netgear ones. Anyone know if SFP are cross vendor compatible?
    I'm just wondering I didn't unpack my switch yet and don't want to mess it up by putting SFP from other vendors in if it potentially damage it.
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

Hammerhead Shark
    It might work and it might not. Depends on the vendors. I doubt you are going to find a clear answer for Netgear. Cisco, for instance, is really particular and will check a vendor ID on the SFP and an invalid SFP will cause the port to fail. That said, I don't see how an incorrect SFP is going to cause damage to your switch.

Is there a particular reason you want to use fiber? It might be that your best solution is to stick to copper. Honestly, if you think fiber is your solution, I'd buy something that isn't Netgear.
    Nick_B
    Currently running Ubuntu and Windows 7.

Great White Shark
    At work we have generic 3rd party ones and they work fine. I'm not guaranteeing you'll have the same luck, but for our Cisco switches and emulex cards, they work out OK.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64