Steam Trading Cards

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam Trading Cards

Steam Trading Cards

Are any of you guys doing the steam trading cards? It is kinda lame but kinda cool at the same time. Its really unfortunate that they can't determine the time that you are actually playing the game and not just idling. I feel for games that I have legitimately played for 300+ hours I should be able to get more than 4 cards.

I think they should probably tie it to achievements where the developer chooses key achievements that they feel shows your skill or dedication to the game. This way strong achievements, like completing the game, gets you a random card, but the lame achievements, like collect 1million things, has no effect.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    I haven't messed with it, but I've heard a bit about it. I think its kind of gross how the cards can be sold for real money with steam taking a cut. The way it is set up seems more like a crappy mobile app instead of something I'd be interested in. I like the idea of having to trade for the last two cards in a set, but adding the real world money in turns me off.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

I made almost $7 selling of the cards I've earned I could care less about them. Anyway, excellent business model for Valve. They created something that can be bought sold within their marketplace that they take cut on each transaction.
    Last edited by Astros Fan; 06-27-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    Xbox gamertag: oWastelander
    Laptop: ASUS ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage Ryzen 9 5980HX Radeon RX6800M
    ASUS 27 QHD 2K External Display
    Xbox Series X

I like it.

Just a note, but the developer gets a cut of the cards as well. I believe the developer gets 10% and valve gets 5%. Small developers of games like FTL and blocks that matter will probably make some extra money for minimal work, which may help keep them a float before their next release.

I think this is less gross than most no-cosmetic micro transactions as you can safely ignore it without missing anything in the game.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Made $2 selling cards. I just start a game and leave it running and come back later once I've maxed the drops.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

After you sell cards, do you then earn the ability to get more drops for a game, or are they just gone forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie View Post
    After you sell cards, do you then earn the ability to get more drops for a game, or are they just gone forever?
    Gone until you reset drops. To reset drops you have to complete a set. Completed sets are then turned in for "stuff" like badges, steam exp, wallpaper pics, and even DLC.

I anticipate a large amount of disposable TF2 accounts poping up if they haven't already.
    Last edited by taggart6; 06-27-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toolfan View Post
    Just a note, but the developer gets a cut of the cards as well. I believe the developer gets 10% and valve gets 5%. Small developers of games like FTL and blocks that matter will probably make some extra money for minimal work, which may help keep them a float before their next release.

I think this is less gross than most no-cosmetic micro transactions as you can safely ignore it without missing anything in the game.
    I may reverse my opinion. If the dev is seeing some cut from this and not only Valve, then I like where this is going.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    Gone until you reset drops. To reset drops you have to complete a set. Completed sets are then turned in for "stuff" like badges, steam exp, wallpaper pics, and even DLC.

I anticipate a large amount of disposable TF2 accounts poping up if they haven't already.
    As I understand your drops never reset. You get only 4 or 5 drops depending on the game. When a user creates a badge, their cards are redistributed to users as a booster pack. The booster pack distribution appears to be random. In order to be eligible for booster packs, you have to have received all of the free card drops for that game. So its best to immediately idle all eligible games for a few hours so that you will be eligible for booster packs for them.

In regards to TF2 or other f2p games, you have to spend $9 to receive a single card drop. Creating new accounts will not give you cards unless you spend $9. The reason we all got 5 drops for TF2 is because we bought the game before it went f2p.
    Last edited by toolfan; 06-27-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Ahh okay I thought drops reset when you turn in a set.

Cards? I will have to look into this.
    Current Computer (always a work in progress):
    Cooler Master HAF 922 Case / Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt / i5-2500K / GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 /PNY XLR8 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 / eVGA GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked 1024 MB / ARCTIC COOLING ACALP11-GT-R2 / Frozen CPU Prolimatech PK-1 Nano Aluminum Thermal Compound / Crucial 128 GB m4 SSD / 1 TB Seagate / 1 TB WD Blue / Samsung SyncMaster 2494 LCD / Samsung SyncMaster 204b LCD

Website for Dad:
    www.KeepTheSpiritKilleen.com

Expensive Sushi
    I seem to be out of the loop too? Does it demand a lot of attention or is something you can leave sitting around? I need something new to keep track of these day, but haven't had much luck in finding anything interesting.

Start a game and walk way. Come back in a few hours and see what cards are in your inventory.

All Steam games? Steam games only?
    Current Computer (always a work in progress):
    Cooler Master HAF 922 Case / Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt / i5-2500K / GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 /PNY XLR8 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 / eVGA GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked 1024 MB / ARCTIC COOLING ACALP11-GT-R2 / Frozen CPU Prolimatech PK-1 Nano Aluminum Thermal Compound / Crucial 128 GB m4 SSD / 1 TB Seagate / 1 TB WD Blue / Samsung SyncMaster 2494 LCD / Samsung SyncMaster 204b LCD

Website for Dad:
    www.KeepTheSpiritKilleen.com