Finally! A 14" laptop with a quality display!

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally! A 14" laptop with a quality display!

Great White Shark

Finally! A 14" laptop with a quality display!

Lenovo just announced the Haswell refresh of the Thinkpad T430: The T440. Aside from Haswell battery-life awesomeness, the part that matters:

14" 1080p IPS DISPLAY

I have the T420 (Sandy Bridge), and I love it. The only thing that I truly regret on this laptop is the screen. The viewing angles are abysmal, and in general it is a subpar display. Now there is finally an option for a quality one. The follow up to this is.... I wonder if I can just buy the new screen and put it in my current laptop... muwahahaha

14" laptops have long been stuck with 1600x900 displays of subpar quality, while 11", 13", and 15" laptops have all gotten higher resolution, higher quality displays. It's about time that 14" laptops see their own upgrades. (14" is my pick for the best size tradeoff of portability and usability.)
    Last edited by James; 07-09-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Goldfish
    And to think a little 13.3" MacBook Pro has nearly double that resolution (2560x1600) and IPS. The 15.4" version has 2-1/2 times the resolution (2880x1800) on IPS. You gotta see 'em. Fanastic displays.

Catfish
    MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

next Thinkpad

I hope they make a touch screen version as well ...

BTW , I like Touch screens for a reason , the touch cover on the LCD (Gorilla Glass or w/e ) , works as protecting cover ... last time a little girl mistook my notebook screen for a whiteboard lol ..
    Last edited by PCVSNotebook; 07-09-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    And to think a little 13.3" MacBook Pro has nearly double that resolution (2560x1600) and IPS. The 15.4" version has 2-1/2 times the resolution (2880x1800) on IPS. You gotta see 'em. Fanastic displays.
    Nothing can beat a ThinkPad ... and Full HD is enough for 14 inch monitor.

Goldfish
    I agree, ThinkPads are great workhorses.

They'd be even better with a Retina IPS display.

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Lenovo just announced the Haswell refresh of the Thinkpad T430: The T440. Aside from Haswell battery-life awesomeness, the part that matters:

14" 1080p IPS DISPLAY

I have the T420 (Sandy Bridge), and I love it. The only thing that I truly regret on this laptop is the screen. The viewing angles are abysmal, and in general it is a subpar display. Now there is finally an option for a quality one. The follow up to this is.... I wonder if I can just buy the new screen and put it in my current laptop... muwahahaha

14" laptops have long been stuck with 1600x900 displays of subpar quality, while 11", 13", and 15" laptops have all gotten higher resolution, higher quality displays. It's about time that 14" laptops see their own upgrades. (14" is my pick for the best size tradeoff of portability and usability.)
    IPS panels existed for long time , you can replace your screen any time I guess , but you will need some little modding if the screen panel does not fit 100%

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    I agree, ThinkPads are great workhorses.

They'd be even better with a Retina IPS display.
    Check the Samsung Ativ Q and Ativ book 9 plus then

better than Apple Displays!!!

3200x1800 resolution

http://www.samsung.com/global/ativ/index.html

Now if they can just find a way to get an IPS display into a MacBook Air.

Goldfish
    Quote Originally Posted by PCVSNotebook View Post
    Check the Samsung Ativ Q and Ativ book 9 plus then

better than Apple Displays!!!

3200x1800 resolution

http://www.samsung.com/global/ativ/index.html
    Awesome.

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    Now if they can just find a way to get an IPS display into a MacBook Air.
    and why do you need a Mac Air when the 13 inch Mac pro Retina Display is there ?

Mac pro Retina 13

Height: 0.75 inch (1.9 cm)
    Width: 12.35 inches (31.4 cm)
    Depth: 8.62 inches (21.9 cm)
    Weight: 3.57 pounds (1.62 kg)

Mac Air 13

Height: 0.11-0.68 inch (0.3-1.7 cm)
    Width: 12.8 inches (32.5 cm)
    Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
    Weight: 2.96 pounds (1.35 kg)

its no big deal ... almost same dimensions and the mac pro is waaaay more powerful .

Great White Shark
    I hope they make a touch screen version as well ...
    Take a look at the link. They will offer the 1080p screen in both non-touch and touchscreen variants.

Quote Originally Posted by Engadget
    a 14-inch, 1,920 x 1,080 IPS display with claimed 180-degree viewing angles and optional multitouch, three USB 3.0 ports, a 720p webcam with dual noise-cancelling mics, NFC and a "Power Bridge" battery that can be swapped out without powering down.

*Edit: I have been looking long and hard for an IPS display of 1600x900 resolution or higher that would fit my lenovo T420. I have yet to find one. With them announcing this screen for the new systems, there is a good chance I should be able to purchase a replacement panel from one of the channels and upgrade my T420 to a 1080p IPS display. If I could do that, I would have no reason to upgrade. (I love the idea of haswell, but ~$150 for a new screen vs. ~$1000 for a new laptop is enough of a reason to make me want to keep my current one.)
    Last edited by James; 07-09-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Take a look at the link. They will offer the 1080p screen in both non-touch and touchscreen variants.

*Edit: I have been looking long and hard for an IPS display of 1600x900 resolution or higher that would fit my lenovo T420. I have yet to find one. With them announcing this screen for the new systems, there is a good chance I should be able to purchase a replacement panel from one of the channels and upgrade my T420 to a 1080p IPS display. If I could do that, I would have no reason to upgrade. (I love the idea of haswell, but ~$150 for a new screen vs. ~$1000 for a new laptop is enough of a reason to make me want to keep my current one.)
    You do have a reason to upgrade , the 50% more battery life the Haswell chip offers. for me , Battery life comes first in any notebook.
    Plus the new NFC and A/C Wifi ... it is worth the upgrade.

edit : Imagine using NFC for Notebooks !!! that's really usefull !

NFC for low battery setup . NFC for out door usage pre setup , NFC for List of tasks !!! , NFC for watching movies ..

throw NFC Tags around and enjoy .. one in car , one in key chain , one in kitchen ... one near bed , one on desk
    Last edited by PCVSNotebook; 07-09-2013 at 09:10 PM.

and why do you need a Mac Air when the 13 inch Mac pro Retina Display is there ?

Mac pro Retina 13

Height: 0.75 inch (1.9 cm)
    Width: 12.35 inches (31.4 cm)
    Depth: 8.62 inches (21.9 cm)
    Weight: 3.57 pounds (1.62 kg)

Mac Air 13

Height: 0.11-0.68 inch (0.3-1.7 cm)
    Width: 12.8 inches (32.5 cm)
    Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
    Weight: 2.96 pounds (1.35 kg)

its no big deal ... almost same dimensions and the mac pro is waaaay more powerful .
    Because the MacBook Air is much thinner and lighter. A half pound doesn't seem like a lot until you realize that's 15%. And because the super high resolution displays look terrible for everything that isn't' designed for them, particularly websites.

The retina MacBook displays are really pretty until you actually start using them, and then it's almost painful to use. It's going to be at least another year before I'd even consider it. I mean, look at this site on a retina MacBook. Oh god, it's horrific. The fonts are super sharp, but any icon or picture is horrendous. Most apps aren't updated yet end to end. It's like a frankenstien display. Apple at least attempts to solve the problem with pixel doubling, but even that doesn't cut it.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 07-10-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    Because the MacBook Air is much thinner and lighter. A half pound doesn't seem like a lot until you realize that's 15%. And because the super high resolution displays look terrible for everything that isn't' designed for them, particularly websites.

The retina MacBook displays are really pretty until you actually start using them, and then it's almost painful to use. It's going to be at least another year before I'd even consider it. I mean, look at this site on a retina MacBook. Oh god, it's horrific. The fonts are super sharp, but any icon or picture is horrendous. Most apps aren't updated yet end to end. It's like a frankenstien display. Apple at least attempts to solve the problem with pixel doubling, but even that doesn't cut it.
    It is thinner yes but from one edge , the other edge is same thickness of the mac pro , as for 15% more weight , I Accept that gladly if you give me more battery and stronger CPU for like 300 grams more only which I will never feel.

As for the resolution I really don't get it ...

How come the 2560x1600 is not good ? my 30 inch Dell ultrasharp is 2560x1600 same resolution of the Mac book 13 with retina display , and I am having no problems using it.

The Mac Book 13 Retina is good , has standard resolution of 30 inch monitors.

maybe you are referring to the 15 inch Retina Mac Book with 2880x1800

I guess when they released the 13 inch Retina they "fixed" this issue by using a standard resolution of 30 inch monitors , and you just did not notice !
    Last edited by PCVSNotebook; 07-10-2013 at 10:16 AM.

It is thinner yes but from one edge , the other edge is same thickness of the mac pro , as for 15% more weight , I Accept that gladly if you give me more battery and stronger CPU for like 300 grams more only which I will never feel.

As for the resolution I really don't get it ...

How come the 2560x1600 is not good ? my 30 inch Dell ultrasharp is 2560x1600 same resolution of the Mac book 13 with retina display , and I am having no problems using it.

The Mac Book 13 Retina is good , has standard resolution of 30 inch monitors.

maybe you are referring to the 15 inch Retina Mac Book with 2880x1800

I guess when they released the 13 inch Retina they "fixed" this issue by using a standard resolution of 30 inch monitors , and you just did not notice !
    Have you ever seen one of these displays? It's 2560x1600, but pixel doubled. Because 2560x1600 in a 13" display is unreadable.

What this actually means is that different parts of the screen have wildly different native pixel densities. Text looks super sharp, but pictograms look super fuzzy. Creative looks super sharp at it's native resolution, but UI elements are horribly blurry. Maybe it doesn't bother everyone, but it drives me crazy. It wasn't that bad with the iPhone because EVERYTHING was pixel doubled, but on the retina MacBook text elements are typically rendered natively and UI elements are doubled.