Finally! A 14" laptop with a quality display! - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally! A 14" laptop with a quality display!

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    Have you ever seen one of these displays? It's 2560x1600, but pixel doubled. Because 2560x1600 in a 13" display is unreadable.

What this actually means is that different parts of the screen have wildly different native pixel densities. Text looks super sharp, but pictograms look super fuzzy. Creative looks super sharp at it's native resolution, but UI elements are horribly blurry. Maybe it doesn't bother everyone, but it drives me crazy. It wasn't that bad with the iPhone because EVERYTHING was pixel doubled, but on the retina MacBook text elements are typically rendered natively and UI elements are doubled.
    Well I am not a Mac User. but under windows , 2560x1600 is ok .

it seems that the Mac Problem is in the MAC OS , they did not bother to draw new icons for higher resolution.

But for web browsing , I guess it should work fine , the 2560x1600 is more than 10 years old and most web sites look normal .

Edit : there are tons of 11 inch and 13 inch FULL HD IPS Panels around from Asus and Sony and all others .. why don't you try to replace the Mac panel ?
    Last edited by PCVSNotebook; 07-10-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by PCVSNotebook View Post
    Edit : there are tons of 11 inch and 13 inch FULL HD IPS Panels around from Asus and Sony and all others .. why don't you try to replace the Mac panel ?
    Realistically, because each panel is usually designed and can only communicate with a either a single device, or a small subset of devices. Even once the new 14" panels become available from Lenovo for their system, they won't be compatible for a Dell, or an HP, or an Apple (if Apple made a 14" device.) They will be unique to Lenovo's sadly.

I guess I should be more clear. Most of the replacement screens you can buy for laptops aren't bare panels. They are the panels with the driving circuitry integrated into them. This driving circuitry is what makes a given replacement panel more or less proprietary to the system it was designed for.
    Last edited by James; 07-19-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Realistically, because each panel is usually designed and can only communicate with a either a single device, or a small subset of devices. Even once the new 14" panels become available from Lenovo for their system, they won't be compatible for a Dell, or an HP, or an Apple (if Apple made a 14" device.) They will be unique to Lenovo's sadly.

I guess I should be more clear. Most of the replacement screens you can buy for laptops aren't bare panels. They are the panels with the driving circuitry integrated into them. This driving circuitry is what makes a given replacement panel more or less proprietary to the system it was designed for.
    so they are not working on a standard LVDS Graphics port ?

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by PCVSNotebook View Post
    so they are not working on a standard LVDS Graphics port ?
    Could be LVDS, could be eDP. But no, while LVDS/eDP would be used for the basic video signalling, the backlight control, display adjustments, etc. are all proprietary in the control circuits. Since the control circuit is laminated to the back of the actual LCD panel, it's hard to divest the two.

*Edit: I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying that it would be much more difficult than simply finding a panel which is the right dimensions, power ratings, etc. for your machine and plugging it in.
    Last edited by James; 07-25-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64