i5 haswell overheats on stock heatsinks?

Sharky Forums

Thread: i5 haswell overheats on stock heatsinks?

Tiger Shark

i5 haswell overheats on stock heatsinks?

hello,

I'm still waiting for the parts for my new build, but I've been reading around the web, and I see that a lot of people talk about the Haswell chips running very hot on stock heatsinks...is there truth to this?
    I don't plan to overclock anything, so I didn't bother ordering a third party heatsink...do you think it would be fine, or should I order one before assembling the system?

Thanks.

AMD Phenom 2 X4 : 955 BE
    Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    4GB DDR3 Corsair 1333
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    320GB Western Digital RE3
    1 TB Western Digital Black
    750W Corsair PSU
    Thermaltake Armor+ MX Case
    NEC DVD-RW 3520
    Razer Copperhead Mouse
    Windows 7 Pro

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    I think the thermal limit is around 90C, which I doubt they hit unless they are running something stupid like Linpack or Intel burn test. You will never see those kinds of temps day to day. If you are looking to overclock, haswell heats up quickly.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by BoaConstrictor View Post
    hello,

I'm still waiting for the parts for my new build, but I've been reading around the web, and I see that a lot of people talk about the Haswell chips running very hot on stock heatsinks...is there truth to this?
    I don't plan to overclock anything, so I didn't bother ordering a third party heatsink...do you think it would be fine, or should I order one before assembling the system?

Thanks.
    When you pay 1500$ for a system , a $30-$50 heatsink doesn't hurt right ?

even if you don't Overclock , better heatsinks are always better and welcomed , and it will lower your case temps as well.

be sure it has 6 heatpipes at least , and a 140 fan..
    Last edited by PCVSNotebook; 07-11-2013 at 10:49 AM.

It just depends on if he overclocks or not. If not, then don't waste money on an aftermarket heatsink.

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    It just depends on if he overclocks or not. If not, then don't waste money on an aftermarket heatsink.
    I totally Disagree , Intel coolers are the worst. and if you check with Professional Workstations , they never use intel coolers while they are non overclocked xeons .
    The same also for Graphics cards , the reference coolers allways run hotter and with more noise ..

and remember that intel themselves offer better "optional" cooler, Intel XTS100H .. it is all about reducing the cost of the boxed CPU.
    Last edited by PCVSNotebook; 07-11-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by PCVSNotebook View Post
    ...Professional Workstations , they never use intel coolers while they are non overclocked xeons .
    That would be because server-grade Xeon processors are not bundled with heatsinks as a rule. Thus an aftermarket solution is always required. Exception to this rule: single socket solutions like LGA1155/LGA1150 CPUs.

If I had to guess, I would say that the "problem" of stock HSF units and overheating comes from improperly mounted HSF units. I've done it myself a few times, where you think you've clicked the HSF in place properly, but then you boot the system and find the fan running at 100% despite just idling at the desktop. A quick re-seat has always solved the problem, and the i5's and i7's I've run with stock cooling have never hit a thermal management threshold. When you build a few dozen systems at the same time, it's easy to miss seating a couple of HSF units.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    That would be because server-grade Xeon processors are not bundled with heatsinks as a rule. Thus an aftermarket solution is always required. Exception to this rule: single socket solutions like LGA1155/LGA1150 CPUs.

If I had to guess, I would say that the "problem" of stock HSF units and overheating comes from improperly mounted HSF units. I've done it myself a few times, where you think you've clicked the HSF in place properly, but then you boot the system and find the fan running at 100% despite just idling at the desktop. A quick re-seat has always solved the problem, and the i5's and i7's I've run with stock cooling have never hit a thermal management threshold. When you build a few dozen systems at the same time, it's easy to miss seating a couple of HSF units.
    Was going to say the same thing, 2011 boxes come chip only, no heatsink. I use the stock heatsink all the time. I use one daily on my Hackintosh and it is quiet. As long as you aren't over clocking the stock heat sink is perfectly acceptable.

Tiger Shark
    Was going to say the same thing, 2011 boxes come chip only, no heatsink. I use the stock heatsink all the time. I use one daily on my Hackintosh and it is quiet. As long as you aren't over clocking the stock heat sink is perfectly acceptable.
    Okay thanks, that's what I was thinking. I never overclock so Ive always used stock heatsinks...will see what happens once the stuff finally get here. Should be here tomorrow...shipping is slow.

AMD Phenom 2 X4 : 955 BE
    Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    4GB DDR3 Corsair 1333
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    320GB Western Digital RE3
    1 TB Western Digital Black
    750W Corsair PSU
    Thermaltake Armor+ MX Case
    NEC DVD-RW 3520
    Razer Copperhead Mouse
    Windows 7 Pro

Catfish
    Hows your Hackintosh ? I want to try making one , any thoughts? and is it stable ?

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

True, but if you look closely , most of them use heatpipe cooling or wind tunnel with very heavy all Copper heatsinks ...unlike the very low quality i5/i7 cooler of same TDP of xeons.

anyways I always like 10 degrees lower temps does not hurt. I always go for the "optional" better items.
    Last edited by PCVSNotebook; 07-12-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PCVSNotebook View Post
    Hows your Hackintosh ? I want to try making one , any thoughts? and is it stable ?
    Its fine. If you are going to make one, stick to the recommended components. Look on tonymacx86 to see the recommended parts. It is no-brainer to get it up and running with the right components, but if you try something even a little off the beaten path then it can turn into a nightmare. For me, its been rock solid. It took a bit of tweaking to get sleep working, but I have had no major issues since I got it running. When I switched from an IVB processor to an SB, I had to do a bit of tweaking without reinstalling but that's about it. In fact, it was probably easier than if I had changed the CPU on a Windows machine since I would probably be forced to reactivate or reinstall haha.

With that said there are downsides, such as not being able to patch instantly since you need to wait to see if anyone reports issues. Sometimes you have to reinstall drivers after a patch as well, but that only takes a few minutes. I will be buying a Mac Pro or iMac soon because I'm using it for work now and don't feel comfortable being on a Hackintosh for business...