BS:I - games without saves irk the heck out of me.

Sharky Forums

Thread: BS:I - games without saves irk the heck out of me.

BS:I - games without saves irk the heck out of me.

I hate the checkpoint system in BS:I

The checkpoints are too far apart and saved in locations that make 0 sense.

I don't mind a checkpoint system IF the game also allows you at least 1 quicksave.

Why am I mad you ask? Because the game also crashes every once in awhile.

And nothing is more fun than thinking you completed a level and crash only to find yourself all the way back at the beginning.

Its pure crap.
    War... War never changes.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Ouch. I never had BS:I crash on me. I also didn't find the saves too bad either. I was playing on normal. I'm wondering if the game doesn't "hard save" until you quit normally or beat a level. Maybe you are crashing and it is loading the last "hard save" instead of checkpoint?

I was playing on the gaming computer in my sig. Have you upgraded graphics drivers? What's the error message?
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Yea the checkpoints were spaced a little far apart. There were times that I wanted to quit and do something else but knew I couldn't stop until I got to the next checkpoint. Fortunately I didn't have any crashese either.
    My armor is Contempt
    My shield is Disgust
    My sword is Hatred
    In the Emperor's Name
    LET NONE SURVIVE

What you gonna do?!? fastitocalon's Avatar
    I never had any crashes but I did run into the same problem as Apu where I had to keep playing to the next "real" checkpoint
    A true friend stabs you in the front.
    -Oscar Wilde

Gamertag: Kelkeen
    PSN ID: Kelkeen
    Heatware: Fastitocalon
    Steam: Fastitocalon

http://raptr.com/badge/dfea8180810e4...7590e2b/fs.png

It was a known problem with i7 cpus and I followed the support forum guide and it fixed it.

HOWEVER, that does not change my opinion that a PC game should always have some sort of saved game feature.
    War... War never changes.

In the upcoming Shadowrun Returns they're using checkpoints instead of manual saves because, according to them, manual saves are hard. I guess Kickstarting for over 4 times what they asked for wasn't enough money to implement a system that's been a part of the genre for decades.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monroeski View Post
    In the upcoming Shadowrun Returns they're using checkpoints instead of manual saves because, according to them, manual saves are hard. I guess Kickstarting for over 4 times what they asked for wasn't enough money to implement a system that's been a part of the genre for decades.

No kidding.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    No matter the project size, its still the problem of a finite budget. I don't know if they are building their engine from scratch or using a licensed engine, but if the choice is between significant cuts in content to build an anytime save system, then I'd probably opt for the check point model instead.

Saving is actually not a trivial feat for game makers, especially as the size increases. Practically every object in the game needs to have a state method that reports the variable values to the save controller which writes those to a database and creates the save file. The engine then needs to be reinitialized with those variables. This can be hard for physics engines or AI routines.

Having checkpoints means the developer only needs to save character information, not every gameplay mechanic going on at the time (such as a bullet in the air, every particle the physics system is tracking, rigid body parameters, and so forth.)
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    No matter the project size, its still the problem of a finite budget. I don't know if they are building their engine from scratch or using a licensed engine, but if the choice is between significant cuts in content to build an anytime save system, then I'd probably opt for the check point model instead.

Saving is actually not a trivial feat for game makers, especially as the size increases. Practically every object in the game needs to have a state method that reports the variable values to the save controller which writes those to a database and creates the save file. The engine then needs to be reinitialized with those variables. This can be hard for physics engines or AI routines.

Having checkpoints means the developer only needs to save character information, not every gameplay mechanic going on at the time (such as a bullet in the air, every particle the physics system is tracking, rigid body parameters, and so forth.)
    Would explain why the Obsidian engine corrupts the save roughly 80% of the time when using the auto-save function.
    Last edited by James; 07-17-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    The game is releasing with development tools for users to make their own missions/modules. Using check points vs open saving means users will have to put in more thought with how they do this and I don;t think its going to be very well done at least at first.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Expensive Sushi
    Can't agree with you more. I have had quite a few crashes with the game which is really frustrating to begin when and then I go to start up again and I have to redo a lot of the game. It'd be nice if we could have a few of those Auto-saves so it as bad when it comes to redoing things. I actually haven't finished the game because of this.