Best Cloud data backup service? Recommendations/advice much appreciated

Sharky Forums

Thread: Best Cloud data backup service? Recommendations/advice much appreciated

Tiger Shark

Best Cloud data backup service? Recommendations/advice much appreciated

It's high time I started regular data backups and the Cloud appears to be the way to go. It seems that the days of copying data across to an external HD are over.

I have about 69GB of data in my Windows/Users/User file that I'd like to back up to the Cloud.

Here is an article that tests 5 popular Cloud backup services. It appears to favor Mozy.

Obviously I am expecting to pay for the service, and it appears that I will need a fairly large storage capacity. The ability to be provided with my backed up data on DVDs if needed would also be a plus.

Can anyone chime in with their own recommendations and/or give basic advice for a novice in this field? Thank you.

69gb times 10 = 690gb and you'd have almost half of a 1TB drive left over.... New 1TB drives are cheap....

But, seems like I've heard good things about Mozy.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Tiger Shark
    I've come to the conclusion that you are absolutely right, Steve. I dug out my Iomega portable 500GB drive and simply copied across the 69GB, orgamised into corresponding folders. It took about 40 minutes. I think I may have been having flashhbacks to when this took forever, and/or wouldn't complete, and portable HDs were so much flakier. Also, it helps that Windows now sorts and organises data pretty intelligently under the User/file tree. Documents, music, photos, desktop content and videos, that's all I need to back up and now that so many programs are in the Cloud, the consequences of a HD crash are less absolute than they used to be. Even large wads of saved game data is stored in the Cloud by services like Steam now. So, as good as Mozy looks, I don't think it's worth paying a $15pm subscription for 125GB of storage when every three months or so I can do the above.

Thanks, as always, for your response. You've been helping me out here for about 15 years.
    Last edited by TwIce; 09-13-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Crashplan.com and never look back. I have 2.5TB up there. Very cheap, very reliable, every platform, very secure. You can't go wrong. Buy a 4 year plan for excellent savings. I bought a 10 computer plan, unlimited storage for all, for 4 years, for like $400. You can't beat that.
    Last edited by vertices; 09-17-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Tiger Shark
    Sounds great, many thanks for the recommendation.