Silly Networking Question

Sharky Forums

Thread: Silly Networking Question

Silly Networking Question

Okay- say my D-Link WiFi N access point is capable of 300 mb/s speed. If I have a compatible adapter on my netbook, I should get up to 300 mb/s speed. I'm pretty sure this AP has four LAN 10-100-1000 ports. But- my trusty D-Link Gigabit router died and I (hurriedly) replaced it with a cheap Netgear router with four 10-100 ports. If I have things worked out, the new router is throttling the speed of my AP. Am I thinking clearly? So my next project should be to get a good Gigabit router.

Great White Shark
    OK....

I'll ask the obvious questions.

1. Do you actually have more than a 100Mbps internet connection? If not, your router is not throttling your internet access.
    2. How are you testing the throughput? To another local system?
    3. 300Mbps wifi has a real throughput of probably only like 150Mbps or so under ideal conditions.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Yeah, I doubt that that 300 Mbps is sustained rate... it's probably burst max speed....

Sorry- I wasn't clear. This is between computers and other components on my network. I know the speed figures are probably unrealistic. I'm thinking that if I have a 10-100 connection between the main PC and the router, and another 10-100 between the router and the wifi AP, both those legs would be slower than the speed of the AP which is 300 mb/s., so any device connected to the network via the AP (like my netbook) would experience a slowdown right there. Let's assume all the speed figures are unrealistically high- both the 10-100 LAN and the 300 WiFi AP. My Internet service is only 3 mb/s down. I'll just keep this router and add a Gigabit switch.

Yeah, if you want transfers between computers on your home network to have/maintain high speed transfers, you'd want to add a Gb switch...