Best Game I've Played in Ages

Sharky Forums

Thread: Best Game I've Played in Ages

Best Game I've Played in Ages

This one came out of left field.

I really liked Far Cry 3. When Blood Dragon came out, I sort of looked at it, but not real close. But a couple of weeks back, there was a Steam sale of Blood Dragon with Call Of Juarez - Gun Fighter for $15, so I picked them up.

No, I'm not talking about Blood Dragon, it's meh at best.

But Call Of Juarez - Gun Fighter is a amazing. It has something that games seem to have forgotten about, it's actually FUN! This is one of those rare gems that does everything right. It doesn't try to be anything other than what it is, an arcade shooter with an amusing story to tell. It ain't Call of Duty and never tries to be.

What it gets right starts with the story; Silas, the main character is an amazing blowhard, and funny as hell. His tale is absurd and he contradicts himself constantly - leading to even more laughs. The idea of a gun fighter who faced down every famous gun slinger in the west would be too much, but an old man telling tales tales in a saloon in trade for a steady stream of drinks is another story.

Game play is really good - it's simple, but tightly integrated into the story, when Silas gets caught in an obvious lie, the play backs up so he can concoct a more plausible tale. Don't expect any flanking or squad tactics, the bad guys are about as smart as shooting gallery bears - but that actually fits with the style of the game. The developers play on the weakness of the game in a masterful way.

Graphics. COJGS uses the Chrome 5 engine, nothing to write home about. But again, the developers take a weakness and turn it into a strength. The entire game is presented in an old West painting format. Leaves on trees even have brush strokes added to further the look. It gives an under-powered engine an artistic flare that really works - it's simply brilliant.

Boss fights. They're there, but most are not ridiculous, and if you lose them, they automatically become easier, so as not to frustrate the game play.

This is a short game, 6 to 8 hours is all, but it's one that will have most people smiling through it and the art direction is stunning.
    RIG:
    XCLIO 2000 Black & Titanium Case
    KingWin Gold Certified 80+ 1000 Watt PS
    Asus P8Z77-V Premium Motherboard
    Intel Core I7 3770K @ 5.0 gHz
    Corsair CWCH70 Hydro Series H80 CPU Liquid Cooler
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    PowerColor Radeon 7990 6GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    1TB WD Black Edition SATA 3 + 3TB Seagate SATA 3
    Panasonic DVD
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Do you mean Call of Juarez: Gunslinger?
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Well, now I kinda regret not buying it on sale the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    Do you mean Call of Juarez: Gunslinger?
    Thanks, yes, Gunslinger
    RIG:
    XCLIO 2000 Black & Titanium Case
    KingWin Gold Certified 80+ 1000 Watt PS
    Asus P8Z77-V Premium Motherboard
    Intel Core I7 3770K @ 5.0 gHz
    Corsair CWCH70 Hydro Series H80 CPU Liquid Cooler
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    PowerColor Radeon 7990 6GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    1TB WD Black Edition SATA 3 + 3TB Seagate SATA 3
    Panasonic DVD
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit

You know, this thread made me buy the game and other than not liking the duels all that much, I love the game, the story, the voice acting, the scenery the game play are all top notch.
    War... War never changes.

And... I've got 15 hours in and I'm only doing the story and I still have one chapter left... so I don't think its as short as you said.
    War... War never changes.

Cool... for me, it was Half Life 2 and the 2 episodes...
    Such fun (except for those nasty jumping sequences) even if it was scripted sequences!
    I had a blast through the game and am really wishing that they'd make Hal Life 3!!!

Hopefully, I can pick up the Call of Juarez for cheap still
    Last edited by proxops-pete; 01-02-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Sushi
    Most of all I enjoy playing card games. In them I feel like a fish in water. It is interesting to use the strategies that exist and to develop something new. It is interesting to watch the players as they think, to try to calculate their cards.

**Links removed by Site Administrator so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.**

I've been replaying Metro Exodus PC Enhanced, my fav game as of late. Reason being, I know I'd missed some collectibles (ammo, material for crafting, add-on for suit and weapons and such), so I'd meander off my usual routes to look for more goodies on my next play through. Got Godfall and tried to get into it, but hack and slash games just aren't my thang! However, it was fun to play Godfall on my 4K TV with my GTX 1080 with FSR enabled at Quality preset, looks damn good actually....perhaps, at the back of my mind, I'd gotten it just to try FSR on my GTX 1080.
    Save Ana
    http://www.jpages.net/HelpAna.htm

Main Rig - All AMD build: R9 3900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB 3600CL17 Patriot ViperRGB | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung QVO SATA SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 6TB WD Black | Corsair HX 1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Samsung LC49HG90DMEXX 32:9 | iFi Micro iDSD BL | LG SL8YG Soundbar | 64bit Win10 Pro