Day Z and Rust

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Day Z and Rust

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar

Day Z and Rust

Any one playing these? I'm thinking about picking one up even though they are still in alpha. Any suggestions? I'm kinda leaning toward Rust which looks more expansive.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    Any one playing these? I'm thinking about picking one up even though they are still in alpha. Any suggestions? I'm kinda leaning toward Rust which looks more expansive.
    NSFW Language in the below link.

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20140108

Seems interesting. Day-Z meets Minecraft.
    Last edited by James; 01-09-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Gonna get Rust for sure, but gonna wait for a more serviceable beta.
    My armor is Contempt
    My shield is Disgust
    My sword is Hatred
    In the Emperor's Name
    LET NONE SURVIVE

I purchased Rust and played about a dozen hours this weekend. The game is like Minecraft for sociopaths, but without a randomized map and without the ability to dig. There's no sense of discovery, only survival among the most hateful and sadistic people alive. I both hate the game and can't stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie View Post
    I purchased Rust and played about a dozen hours this weekend. The game is like Minecraft for sociopaths, but without a randomized map and without the ability to dig. There's no sense of discovery, only survival among the most hateful and sadistic people alive. I both hate the game and can't stop playing.
    I've been thinking about picking it up, but this pretty much sums up why I'd probably hate it, haha. Besides a friends list full of people playing Rust, what initially drew it to me was the crafting/building/exploring aspect, but it seems the focus is more towards PvP and survival. Is that a correct assumption?
    New Build (Oct. 2012)
    -[ ASUS P8Z77-V |:| Intel Core i5-3550 |:| 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LP |:| EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB |:| Samsung 830 256GB |:| Windows 7 ]-
    Currently Playing
    -[ Sleeping Dogs |:| Guild Wars 2 |:| Torchlight 2 ]-

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidCrash View Post
    I've been thinking about picking it up, but this pretty much sums up why I'd probably hate it, haha. Besides a friends list full of people playing Rust, what initially drew it to me was the crafting/building/exploring aspect, but it seems the focus is more towards PvP and survival. Is that a correct assumption?
    The PvP is the game. I just spent the last 5 hours playing with two friends...

A few days ago we set up a nice secluded base immediately following a server wipe. Nothing fancy, just a small wooden house that we set up with a furnace, a workbench and a bunch of crates and we immediately got to work securing weapons and resources. That night we met a group of assholes who were blasting "Bad Boys" over the in-game chat system, blowing away anyone they saw. They killed us a few times.

On Saturday my one friend started to build a metal fortress up in our secluded area and got to work securing almost every blueprint available as well as a sizable arsenal of guns, ammo and armor.

Tonight, we got to work trying to finish that fortress. I began by raiding 3 small houses that sprouted up nearby (new players that were just getting their footing) and stole a good amount of metal ore to go towards our fortress. My one friend Josh spent almost the entire night crafting as me and two others were bringing back materials that were either obtained by force or harvested from the world (I was also able to get the remaining blueprints we needed from the nearby town and its surrounding zombie population). Things were looking pretty good; we got about half of the tower done, but still needed a ton of ore to finish the job. Josh eventually ran out of stuff to craft so he and I ventured out into the world to find ore nodes or other players we could steal from. While out there we killed several people, few of which actually deserved it. Later on while Josh was back in the house crafting more stuff, he heard people outside say, "OPEN UP, IT'S THE POLICE." It was those "Bad Boys" assholes from our first night!

Josh informed me that our world was about to come down and I came running back to our mountain hideout, trying my best not to make noise as I tried to sneak into our metal fortress that these jerks weren't paying attention to yet. I didn't make it. As I was sneaking around back one of theirs guys saw me and gunned me down... but he didn't know that I had a sleeping back in that fortress, so I was able to respawn in the location I was trying to get to! I immediately picked up the Kevlar armor we had locked up as well as the decked-out M4 and got on the roof about 4 stories above the ground and started making a mess. POP POP POP, I opened fire on the guys I could see and they started panicking. A few tried to return fire, but the darkness of night and the silencer on my weapon made things difficult for them, so they got the hell out of there. We knew it wasn't over.

We spent the next hour trying to hurriedly finish the fortress to keep our stuff as secure as possible, but when we came back with our haul, we found about 6 guys surrounding the tower, yelling at someone to get out. I screamed "****!" (and woke up my girlfriend in the process >_<) and they took us out. They used C4 to blow open our first house that still had most of our stuff inside and left when an air drop came rolling in. They got all of our ammo, all of our gunpowder, most of our guns and a decent chunk of armor. We started moving everything into our incomplete fortress and we got hit again, this time with greater force. They kept their eyes trained on the roof and fired as soon as I would poke my head out. Josh was trapped in a shed we had built to store excess tools and materials and couldn't do much without compromising that structure.

Long story short, they came at us hard with lots of C4 and broke their way into our storage shed and into the bottom floor of the fortress before leaving again, no doubt to gather more C4. When I logged off, it was 2am and Josh was gearing up for the next attack.

If you're interested in crafting and exploring, Rust is definitely not your guy. If you want to play a game where things like I just described can and will happen on a regular basis, you're going to find a lot to like.

No thanks.
    War... War never changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie View Post
    The PvP is the game. I just spent the last 5 hours playing with two friends...

edited out for length
    Nice recap there, and I can totally see how it's a great game for some. But I think I'd end up breaking a few keyboards if I played, which puts the price of the game well over $20.
    Last edited by LiquidCrash; 01-20-2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typo
    New Build (Oct. 2012)
    -[ ASUS P8Z77-V |:| Intel Core i5-3550 |:| 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LP |:| EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB |:| Samsung 830 256GB |:| Windows 7 ]-
    Currently Playing

It sounds like the ultimate game for the types of D-Bags who love being PKers.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wurm View Post
    This. I can see it being more frustrating then fun at the moment. That said, if the game has some neutral zones to help you get started, then I see huge potential for this to be one amazing base building/PVP game.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wurm View Post
    Yeah, you're right. I'm friends with people like this, and they're all over the game. With that being said, I'm sure others like it for different reasons. I don't think of Kami as a griefing d-bag, but then again, I don't know him that well.
    New Build (Oct. 2012)
    Currently Playing

Kama likes building stuff, and he likes PVP... I can't picture him as part of the "Bad Boys" group he told us about above.

I like building stuff, And I like PVP but if there is no safe zone (and why should there be) I'm not interested in doing a bunch of hard work only to have a bunch of smacktards destroy it just because they can.

If they rewarded people working together to survive with serious bonuses that made them harder to grief I'd like to try it. But all the reports I've read so far is that the game is nothing but Anarchy in its purest form.
    Last edited by Wurm; 01-20-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Making C4 really (REALLY) hard or expensive to make would be a good start.

Great White Shark
    Yeah....

Or make some kind of alloy/other material that is blast resistant. (Not blast proof, just resistant.) Or traps. Traps would be epic, They blow open your door, only to have their heads removed by flying saw blades or something.

Kama's story is kind of why I wouldn't want to play. If I can't outsmart people, and the only way to succeed is to have a bunch of like-minded a-holes willing to destroy anything in their path, why bother? If there is truly no way to be safe... There is nothing to "win" in the game. There is no reason to strive to find more and better tools.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

I am DYING for there to be a trap system. I pretty much want to build the Tomb of Horrors and just watch as raiders get destroyed trying to break through. As of now, traps are not in the works, but I'm sure the devs hear our pleas and will be working on something eventually.

To address some of the earlier comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Wurm
    It sounds like the ultimate game for the types of D-Bags who love being PKers
    It absolutely is. This game is griefer paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart
    if the game has some neutral zones to help you get started, then I see huge potential for this to be one amazing base building/PVP game
    There are no neutral zones. If you really want a more peaceful experience, there are PvE-only servers, but since the main driving force in the game is PvP, I don't really see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidCrash
    I don't think of Kami as a griefing d-bag, but then again, I don't know him that well.
    I'm not a griefing d-bag. For the most part, I let people live and help them out if they need it, but this has actually gotten me killed a few times as even a naked dude might be hiding something deadly (or getting ready to bring his friends in to end your life).

If they rewarded people working together to survive with serious bonuses that made them harder to grief I'd like to try it.
    Strength in numbers helps with that quite a bit.

Making C4 really (REALLY) hard or expensive to make would be a good start.
    It is VERY hard to make.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Or make some kind of alloy/other material that is blast resistant. (Not blast proof, just resistant.)
    2 C4s are required to blow one metal door and 3 are needed for a metal wall. These are the most blast-resistant materials we have right now (which is why we were building the tower of metal rather than wood)
    Last edited by Kamakazie; 01-20-2014 at 10:49 PM.