Simple question; but I am confused.

Sharky Forums

Thread: Simple question; but I am confused.

Simple question; but I am confused.

What happens when the memory gets overloaded? Acer laptop, powered on, press f2 blue screen bios does system files, press F8 before it loads windows but screen will not light up; it goes black. Could this happen when the memory runs out? Thanks, dd
    P-3 450 mhz win 98
    Acer Aspire 3610 win xp
    iPad 2
    Peace begins with a smile. M. Teresa

Do you by any chance mean when the HARD DRIVE gets filled up?

Hard drive and memory are two different things...

When you max out the ram/memory - it creates a file on your hard drive called the "swap" file.

YAY! Oh THANK you Steve. Yes I meant the hard drive! So even if the hard drive got absolutely filled to the max it would not cause my screen to go black as soon as it starts to load windows. I can press F2 and the BIOS file comes up just like normal and the screen is fine! I tried to get it into safe mode by pressing F8 as soon as the file check was done but the screen went black! I can't even power down without the screen so I have just pull the plug. That hurts! if you have any ideas of how else I can get my screen in safe mode please tell me! Thanks again Steve. dd
    P-3 450 mhz win 98
    Acer Aspire 3610 win xp
    iPad 2

Goldfish
    Sometimes it is F5 ,F8 for boot screen .

Hey, thanks! Sulc84! I tried F8 but for sure tomorrow I will try F5.
    Do you agree that I press it down after the BIOS does it's thing and before it starts to load windows?
    Thanks, dd
    P-3 450 mhz win 98
    Acer Aspire 3610 win xp
    iPad 2

Goldfish
    You are sure that your system is not full of registry errors ?

AND - a full hard drive can and will be a problem.

Don't get excited about being able to get into the bios... That's just a little chip on the motherboard.

Technically you can google the STOP CODE you see in the BSOD...

It does say the are some errors when I do the bios check.r Steve can a full hard drive cause the screen to go black because there is not enough memory left to light the screen? If so is there ANY way to clear some of my the junk on there? I just need one excel.doc. That's on it. Otherwise I don't really care about the rest of it!
    Thank you all for your help. I haven't been able to try F5 yet so I am hoping there is some way to get into safe mode.
    P-3 450 mhz win 98
    Acer Aspire 3610 win xp
    iPad 2

Memory Loaded, or Full Drive will not cause this issue.

It is either Hardware problem, or a driver and other major component of Windows got corrupted.

If you have a DVD Drive on the Laptop and a Windows Boot DVD you might be able to correct it.

Otherwise you might be able to read the Drive content and find your file if you take the HD out (easy on most laptop), put it in an Extremal USB case (about $10) plug it via USB to a functional computer and get the drive's content.

Last edited by cat5e; 02-14-2014 at 07:59 PM.

CAT5e
    Microsoft, MVP - Networking

Cat5e - I have an old tower I haven't used for years but I have a program on there that connects the laptop to my old tower, if both are turned on, and I can get the monitor ( not the one that came with my tower ) someone has been cleaning house and so many things are missing it is frustrating I had thre disks the I made for the laptop before I used it. They are missing as well! There was a restore disk for the Acer in there! Anyway, if I turn on both devices I can access the the acer's HD! I don't know if it will work but it is similar to your USB resolution. I will keep you all updated! If this works you have no idea how happy I will be! ON the ceiling,!! Thanks, again everyone! All of the people on Sharky's are wonderful. I have used this site for many many years and have yet to be disappointed.! .
    P-3 450 mhz win 98
    Acer Aspire 3610 win xp
    iPad 2

Today is the day, the is such a simple question! If anyone can remember does the mouse go on the last side or the right side? Does it count if the mouse is connected by USB or by the old round pin hole?
    Sorry to Bo so dense and THANK ALL OF YOU for hanging in there with me. Sincerely,dd
    P-3 450 mhz win 98
    Acer Aspire 3610 win xp
    iPad 2

Got the mouse working on win 98. Then pressed Ctr AltDel until the laptop shut off properly. Who knows what happens next? These computers continue to surprise me and disappoint me all the time. I might get a good surprise tomorrow!
    Oh, got the mouse to works on win 98! YAY!
    Last edited by dd; 02-16-2014 at 10:55 PM.
    P-3 450 mhz win 98
    Acer Aspire 3610 win xp
    iPad 2